- advertisement -

ok freaking out! babies first shots tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Carseatmama, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

To the OP, here is some information that may put your mind at ease:

(There are also some related articles on the website you may be interested in)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110304091458.htm

Vaccinated Children Not at Higher Risk of Infections or Allergic Diseases, Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (Mar. 7, 2011) Do vaccinations put too much strain on or weaken children's immune systems? Roma Schmitz and her colleagues from the Robert Koch Institute investigate exactly this research question in the current issue of Deutsches rzteblatt International.

Their data are based on the results of the German Health Interview and Examination Survey for Children and Adolescents (KiGGS).

In their study, the authors compare the occurrence of infections and allergies in vaccinated and unvaccinated children and adolescents. These include bronchitis, eczema, colds, and gastrointestinal infections.

The evaluation showed that unvaccinated children and adolescents differ from their vaccinated peers merely in terms of the frequency of vaccine preventable diseases. These include pertussis, mumps, or measles. As expected, the risk of contracting these diseases is substantially lower in vaccinated children and adolescents.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

3. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I guess I don't see the hilarious irony. In my opinion, there's a big difference between saying that someone is unqualified to write a book about a particular topic based on their experience and education and saying that someone is unqualified to write a book about a particular topic based on past poor personal life choices.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Carseatmama- how'd it go?

6. SueM

SueM Banned

Perhaps I handled it too harshly. Instead of responding as I did, I probably should have:

a) Explained to the poster how I imagine she did not know the scope of the book that I was reading (which she was commenting on...) since if she did, I would think that she would agree that the author's credentials are a great fit.

b) Ask if she had any concerns with the "credentials" of the author of the other book - "Panic Virus"? :)

Not a big deal.

7. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

So, how did things go?

Maybe I am out of line...but can the bickering go to PM's..? I only looked on here again today to see how things went...and can't see much but bickering... Sorry, but seriously ladies...

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The OP came back and reported how the appointment went, see above.

The subject of vaccination is contentious. The subject of vaccinations causing D is like the third rail.

9. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I agree, it is. One of those..."The world may never know" things IMO....

10. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Quite an interesting discussion. First I have never before heard SarahMaddies Mom referred to as a forum bully., I have always found her to be well informed and polite. It is hard sometimes to tell the 'tone of voice' from the written word, so I think we all have to be a bit more thick skinned when it comes to topics like this. That said, I had all my girls vaccinated and only one got diabetes and I don't believe it was from the vaccinations.

11. lisab

lisab Approved members

I think you are worrying yourself needlessly.

There is plenty of kids who were and weren't vaccinated....who still ended up with D. Regardless of your kids having been vaccinated they have diabetes....just as my child has diabetes.

There is no way to have prevented the inevitable, so there is no point rehashing the 'what ifs'. If we paid attention to every little snippet of information that is offered as possible causes of diabetes not only would it do our heads in and give us an irrational sense of guilt - it serves no purpose. It doesn't change the fact.

I am sorry if this comes across as harsh....it is not meant to be.... I think you just need to change your mindset on this one....for yourself.....you will be better off if you do.

Diabetes is hard enough to deal with....without placing unnecessary guilt on ourselves as parents for decisions which may or may not have attributed to our kids being diagnosed. :)

Thought....I should add.....I am glad your Dr is working with you to organise/arrange an alternative vaccination schedule. If and how you choose to vaccinate or not vaccinate is purely yours and your husbands decision, it sounds as though you have researched and put a lot of thought into this.....just don't base it on the possibility of D. Good luck :)

12. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The science regarding vaccines NOT causing type 1 is incredibly solid. For links, see:
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_112.htm

The science supporting vaccines preventing enormous numbers of illnesses is also beyond discussion.

And the science demonstrating conclusively that vaccines do not cause autism (another area of contention among some) is beyond dispute.

The science is exceptionally clear -- vaccines do not cause type 1 diabetes.

Links to pseudo science that claim otherwise, incuding links to books that support those unsupported claims, have been removed. CWD is about science. The science is clear.

I am always amazed that some people believe that the rules and processes of science, which work just fine for mathematics, physics, chemistry, geology, etc., don't apply to biology only when it applies to vaccines.

Closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.