- advertisement -

ok freaking out! babies first shots tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Carseatmama, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

im really worried about this. what if my two girls w d got it from a shot. maybe not directly, or an illness was contracted from their immune system being compromised? im following the dr sears sced. i managed to talk his dr into it. what should i do. keep reading about all the possible side effects and all the crap that is in the shots. or do i go to bed and just pretend nothing bad can happen?:(:confused::eek:

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I definitely don't want to start a vaccination war here :eek:, but I'll just say that there is no research evidence suggesting that vaccinations cause T1D (in fact, many studies refute this!) but there is long establised evidence that they prevent people from contracting horrific diseases and save many, many lives.

ETA: I can link you to plenty of studies if you like :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You ought to look up to see what effect contracting the disease does to your child or to people around you before deciding not to vaccinate.

4. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I don't know what the Dr. Sears schedule is, but if you are concerned, I'm sure getting each shot individually instead of clumped together would be fine. (instead of MMR, get measles, then next visit mumps, then next rubella). That's probably what the Dr. Sears schedule is :eek:
    D has never been linked to vaccinations.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Except, to the best of my knowledge, measles, mumps, and rubella do not exist as separate shots, so recommending them separately is as good as not recommending them at all.

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Hmmm. guess I should research before talking. I thought an acquaintance of mine had her kids vaccinated that way.
    Ah, yes, it used to be available, they pulled it, but it is supposed to be available again sometime this year.
    so yes, you can get them in separate shots.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I agree that I personally don't think these shots have anything to do with getting diabetes but if you are really upset and worried then I suggest NOT doing it right now. I would talk to your doctor and voice your concerns. I would do more research - ask questions here, etc.

Unfortunately on the internet, you can find that anything causes anything you can think of so .... I'm sure you can find some websites saying that vaccinations cause diabetes (autism, ADHD, etc) but I don't think those sites have any reputable leg to stand on.

If it means delaying the shots by a few months I don't know if that matters so much compared to your peace of mind about it.

8. SueM

SueM Banned

If this is accurate that you "managed to talk his dr into it", I would consider possibly changing doctors. I say that because it sounds to me (by the way you phrased it) that the doctor may have attempted to put some pressure on you not to use your own head in making these decisions. I left our former ped for trying to convince that I was a crazy person for second guessing the almighty CDC / AAP. Screw that. These org's and many doctors think only about the herd immunity and/or their own covering of their butts in terms of the percentage of children that they need to have fully immunized in their practices. They care less (in general and in my opinion) about individual children with individual immune systems and family histories.

Just recently (within a day or so...), Japan suspended the Prevnar vaccine and a Hib vaccine because one of them (or combo) may be responsible for 4 deaths over the course of 2 days.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...pfizer-sanofi-vaccines-on-four-deaths-1-.html

I'm sure it will all be straightened out and shown to be a "coincidence". Whatever. Prevnar is one of the worst vaccines out there... in terms of VAERS reports, etc... If anything, stay away from that one (as an added bonus, it is linked to type 1 diabetes by some).

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im reading the book "The panic virus" right now. Its fascinating reading IMO. I think we have all been sold a bill of goods by the media and have been treated like fools by them too. I went according to our pediatricians schedule as far as vaccines and dont regret it. We hear about all the side effects and possible deaths alledgedly attributed to vaccines but we dont often hear about the deaths because of the diseases that were nearly irradicated due to vaccinations. Now children are getting whooping cough at young ages and getting very sick from it:(

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I don't believe vaccinations caused my sons diabetes, he's been dx with another thing that is very debateable with vaccinations, but we are spacing them out with our daughter. She'll get them all eventually, just not all at once. The nurse and doctor agree that it's the best for our family, they are still on the fence.
    On a funny note, or maybe not-we were doing the whole spacing out thing with my son. Since he was diagnosed at 20 months he didn't have that many shots on his record. When he was in the ICU after diagnosis, the doctor told me he has strep throat which could have triggered diabetes. Then she went on to lecture me that if he was fully vaccinated he would NOT have diabetes. I asked her if there is a strep throat vaccination-she shut up and walked away. Bad time to lecture me when my baby wouldn't wake up! The next time he was hospitalized she recognized me and avoided me the whole time :rolleyes:

12. SueM

SueM Banned

Interestingly enough I am reading a book called "Vaccine Epidemic" and I have some of the same thoughts as you in regards to the media and being sold a bill of goods by them as well as being treated as fools by the media as well as by the medical community in general. I guess it proves the point that there are two sides to this never-ending story.

13. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

"Biography
    Louise Kuo Habakus is the director and cofounder of the Center for Personal Rights. She was a managing director for Putnam Investments, a corporate vice president for Prudential Financial, and a consultant with Bain & Company. She graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Stanford University, where she also received a graduate degree in international policy studies. In her advocacy work, she lectures and writes frequently and has appeared in numerous media outlets, including ABC World News Tonight, Fox & Friends, and the New York Times."

Yes, that's whose opinion I want to base decisions I make about my health on.

14. SueM

SueM Banned

Oh yes, I forgot... Only "doctors" are allowed to write books on this topic. ;) Spare me...

On another note, I had originally made the decision not to bring this to a personal level on this thread as I was taking the high road. But since you decided to bring it to a more personal level against the author of the book that I brought up... Let the record show that the author of the "Panic Virus" is a self admitted former heroin addict. I guess that I'm supposed to make decisions on my children's health from him, huh? Ah, how about NO THANKS.

15. SueM

SueM Banned

Did the author(s) of the book suggest that they did have a medical background? :confused: The book discusses the controversy and how we have gotten to where we are today it isn't a "How you shouldn't vaccinate your baby" book. So, you can't read a book about vaccines unless it is written by a doctor or someone with a medical background? Good luck with that. :)

By "making it personal", I simply meant that you attempted to dismiss a book because of the author and how apparently (in your world) her background isn't up to par with what you desire. That's fine. I was simply pointing out the irony of that comment. I think it was fair.

16. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

When I finish the book "The panic virus" I do plan on starting a thread in Hot topics about the book. Im a little over 1/2 way through so havent read enough to feel comfortable discussing it in depth yet.

To the OP. If you trust your pediatrician as I trust ours and this person has suggested that you get your child immunized according to schedule then you need to follow what you and your husband feel is best for your child. I just dont think the best thing is to look on the internet for information from some of these groups out there that follow Andrew Wakefields work or the other "researchers" of vaccines.

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

How sad that discourse in this forum has come to the point where questioning an author's credentials to write a book on a subject is now described as "making it personal." :rolleyes:

18. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

19. selketine

selketine Approved members

Your doctor sounds great - any doctor that will go out and research (and try to contact another doctor) is the type I like - it sounds like he is open minded and wanting to work with you so that you are comfortable with what is being done. Sounds like you are happy with the outcome.:cwds:

20. SueM

SueM Banned

I guess the problem was that the poster who commented on the author of the "Vaccine Epidemic" didn't make an effort to even attempt to understand what the book was about first... The authors' credentials are a perfect fit for the book. :) I guess instead of patiently explaining that she was mistaken about the book... I reacted negatively by pointing out the hilariously ironic situation with the author of the "Panic Virus". No biggie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.