- advertisement -

Oil Spill

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by Darryl, May 24, 2010.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I don't know if anyone here would agree, but I am getting pretty mad about this oil spill. It's taken BP more than a month to agree to do the top-kill procedure, and even then they delay it and delay it. Now they say they won't kill it until at least Tuesday.

Seems to me that their only motive is to keep getting oil from the well. First they tried dropping the structure with the pipe hole in the top, and declared it a failure because ice crystals clogged the pipe hole, so they could not get their oil. After dropping that idea, they stuff a hose into the pipe and suck oil as hard as they can, boasting that the hose is "producing 5,000 barrels a day" into a tanker ship. Producing? Who cares about producing, don't we want this well capped? So they agree finally to kill the well last week, then delayed it to Sunday, now delay it until Tuesday, while meanwhile they are drilling relief wells to get the oil. As if the relief wells are going to stop the flow from the main well? No way will the relief wells take off enough pressure to stop the flow, they will just be alternate ways to get their oil.

What BP wants is to get oil from this well every day. They could have capped it weeks ago.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's horrific.

I know that I won't ever buy gas from BP again. And I do think that there is a simmering and expanding fury about this that is just about to coalesce - I think people are angry... both at BP and at the federal govt for it's pokey response and for allowing BP to retain "leadership" in this crisis.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

4. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Live video of BP producing oil from the leak... the black tube is deep in the well, sucking oil to the BP surface tanker.
    The good oil, that is, not the oil polluted with the seawater when it exits the tube.
    http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_int...local_assets/bp_homepage/html/rov_stream.html

So they produce 5,000 barrels a day that they will sell for a profit, while letting only another
    15,000 (95,000?) barrels a day into the gulf. No wonder they keep delaying the top-kill procedure,
    then they would not get their oil.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I cant even think about all the loss of life to the marine animals, not just now but for generations to come. And the loss to peoples livelihoods is hard to comprehend. But BP exec's dont seem to need to worry about any of that is seems. They should have had emergency plans in place a long time ago.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

An utter disgrace.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'll never do business with BP again.. Its ridiculous that this has gone on so long.. they should have emergency protocol in place.. all that wild life they are killing.. any company that does business with BP won't be a business I go anywhere near.. and everyone should boycott the company, all the way..

I'm fully expecting gas prices to go way up, but they've actually gone down around here..

Do we know of a complete list of business BP is involved with?

Maybe its time for the government to step in and and start fining them big time, or some harsh punishment.. making it so its costing them money to keep it running.. I also hope they get charged for the huge bill that is growing because of clean up.. why should tax payers pay that?

8. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

It's a nightmare. I'm horrified that the government didn't do something sooner. People need to go to prison over this, both on the BP side and the goobers who let them get away with it for so long.

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

And I want to add, that in general, I consider myself to be a left wing liberal nutter... But this whole disaster makes me appreciate my brethren on the other side who hate big government.

I'm ready to move into a yert and go off the grid over this.

10. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Another BP boycotter here.

It's unconscionable...

11. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

It is horrible. I can't believe they have gotten away with this. The 60 Minutes segment on it honestly made me sick. BP knew there were issues days possibly weeks before the explosion, but BP was supposedly losing a million bucks a day until they hit oil, so they started drilling faster and deeper.

Now they continue to exploit every dollar they can at the cost of our environment.

Sick and Wrong.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Another boycotter here!

Does anybody have a quick reference of all the companies they are involved in?

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

BP, Halliburton and Transocean

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Argh! All day long I've been asking myself, "where is the leadership?" Where is the Presidential address to the nation about this horrible mess and moreover what we are doing about it? Where is the leadership?:confused:

15. Rukio

Rukio Banned

We are doing less then we should do, I know that much. :mad:

16. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

We can and should be angry at BP for this. But we also need to look in the mirror and ask how we contributed to this because BP wouldn't be in the gulf if we didn't create the demand.

We (collectively in NA and the "first world") WAY overconsume.
    We need to drive less and choose smaller vehicles, buy less, reduce our use of plastics, eat less meat, and change our assumptions about what we deserve versus what we need.

How many of us are changing what we are doing as a result of this oil spill?
    How many wake up calls will it take?

The real problem lies with us and so does the solution.

17. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

agree with everything here-and my hubby works for oil companies lol, he'll be out again next week to inhale some fumes. It's sick that huge gas guzzler cars are a status symbol and most everything is packed in plastic. I read an article today that most Americans consume too much animal protein. Our family tries to buy local, recycles, and most of us don't eat meat/dairy to try to make a difference, plus it's better for our health.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I think a great many of us are, "looking in the mirror" :rolleyes:

I'm not going to list my "green" actions for your approval and I reserve the right to be furious with BP and Haliburton and Transocean.

19. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I wasn't listing green actions for her approval, I'm just stating things a family can change to help matters.

20. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Alison that's awesome. Not that you need my approval. Wouldn't want to put another bee in Sarah's bonnet :rolleyes:

Most of the news stories I've read, and internet posts I have come across have been like this one - furious at BP et al, looking for scapegoats and full of handwringing about why there hasn't been some kind of miraculous leadership to make it all better. Very little I've seen has been discussing what IMO is the most important thing - reducing demand and dependence on oil.

Your suggestions are a great start! It would be great to have more discussion around what we can do.