- advertisement -

Oh no just got a Sensor error. Minimed

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by ecs1516, Sep 23, 2010.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

They went over the notes and saw we had tested transmitter already, different lots etc. She thought I must be using a bad area, a site problem. So, do I really want to insert another? Not today, maybe tomorrow. Good news is I got it downloaded to Carelink on my old desktop.

Again, I got a another sensor from UPS today but it had the same lot number.:rolleyes:

2. Diana

Diana Approved members

So did MM actually see the download or did you do that after you talked to them?

I wouldn't want to insert another one either.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

No, while we were on the phone it was down. I got on Carelink after.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

MM sensor(one put in yesterday at 4:30pm) is working right now. Asked for a BG a little while ago.

5. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

It took 24 hours to start working!!!!

What is going on?? Minimed should send you new everything. This is just completely opposite of our experience:eek:

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

This sensor first started working at 11pm last night and stopped at 3am.

They haven't offered yet new everything. Just sensors.
    And they think I need to insert somewhere else.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

It was working from about 4pm till 8pm. Got another sensor error. It was very accurate until then.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

MM sensor started working again at about 8pm. Very accurate till another sensor error at 10pm. Anybody have sensors that have done this??

9. Diana

Diana Approved members

Not us. We have always been getting readings (accurate or not).

What is he doing when you are getting the sensor errors? Any pressure on the sensor? Moving around? Is it right on the back of his arm?

10. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Can he try it on his leg or tummy? My boys have such great results in these two places.

11. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I had something like that happen once with an arm site - actually it was the first one and I was still a little awkward at putting them in. We never had a good isig and it was a constant battle. I haven't had that happen in a long time.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So, you didn't know the cause? These insertions seem to go smoothly. No bleeding.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The last sensor is doing better than the other but I still get sensor errors once in a while. Maybe two last night. What I am doing now is just clearing the error and it starts back working after a while. The numbers when I am getting them have been accurate.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't think we've ever had a "sensor error" other than in the two hour warm up. It is very, very odd that you're getting them randomly through the day and night.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

:confused::confused:I am on the phone with MM. They are blaming it on using arm sites. They are not recommended. No duh. I told them I 'know' people using arm sites. We used arm sites for Navigator and Dexcom. What the heck? They are not replacing the transmitter.

They are saying this is a bad area. (arm sites) . They say there is nothing They can do but replace sensors. Who should I call next? Get a refund???

16. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Can you insert it somewhere else once to prove them that it's not a site issue? The whole situation sounds weird. We did an arm site on our skinny toddler, and it worked fine (no sensor errors whatsoever), it's just that it bled a lot and left a huge mark. But sensor worked fine anyway.

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The only place I could do would be the upper tush . Just don't want to do that forever.
    Something to thing about.

18. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

We do upper tush exclusively, but I totally understand that you want to use arms. We would do if we could. :)

Just try it once maybe and then you can see if it's the arm site (which would be weird) or the system that's giving you trouble. Otherwise you just need to return it, it's not worth all the trouble you're having.

19. Diana

Diana Approved members

That's funny (sort of).

They told me that abdomen is recommended - but that abdomen is loosely defined - so technically the area I was using before (love handles around the back) is still considered abdomen.

With all the issues I was having, they recommended I try a different site - like say arms - to see if that fixed it. It was their idea... I'm just sayin'.

The thing is that they may be right that it is just a site issue. If you are committed to trying MM, then I would try a different site to see if you get better results. Then you would know. If it still doesn't work then you have something else to show MM. If it does work, then you have to decide whether you can do tush long term. I'm not sure where tush fits into their "loose" definition of abdomen :rolleyes:

If arms are the only thing you and Ethan are willing to try, then I would insert a different way - steeper/shallower, needle pointing down. Just something different from what you have been doing to see if it makes a difference.

So they think the weak signals and restarts are a site issue also?

Either way, I'd be keeping an eye on the calendar.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Sorry you got an unhelpful CSR. Some of them are great, and some are just determined to make the problem user error.

Here's what I think you should do: Try the sensor I'm going to send you from a box that we both know works. (I can't tell you the lot number right now, because I'm at work, but it shouldn't matter - it's going to be the 8th or 9th sensor out of the box, and all of the previous ones have worked just fine for us.) In fact, I think I'm going to send you two sensors from the box - one for you to try on the arm, and one for you to try on the upper tush if the arm one doesn't work.

If those fail, call MM, tell them exactly what we tried, and tell them that either they replace the transmitter, or you're returning the system. I am living proof that it CAN be the transmitter even when it gives a "good" ISIG when plugged into the test plug. Our problem was apparently the connection between the transmitter and the sensors, and nothing faulty about the inner workings of the transmitter itself, so it always tested fine.

I think it *could* be that arm sites don't work well for you for some reason, but I think it's unlikely. I think you have a sensor or a transmitter problem, and hopefully we can narrow it down.