- advertisement -

Obamacare and T1 Pumping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Barry, Oct 26, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We value offering insurance to our employees, it's important to us. Our costs have gone up. We have looked into releasing everyone to the system but personally our family will pay even more if we choose to do that. It's NOT cheaper in many situations.

Either we continue to offer to our employees, at a higher cost (because premiums have gone up, a lot, and it's not due to our diabetic son as referred to in the article, it's due to insurance costs continually rising for everyone) or we throw everyone to their own devices, which will be a pay cut for them (we pay 75% of their costs now) since they'll have to pay for their own and in our state, it's not that affordable.

The alleged benefits do not equal the costs at this point. I hope it does eventually.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes, I realized you used the wrong word. My question was why do you think the system is going to implode? And as I said before, the reason people are not signing up is because of all the trouble with the website. I believe once the site is running correctly you will see many more people signing up.

How many employees do you have?

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks for replying. I don't really know enough about small businesses to continue this discussion.

I hope your family is able to figure something out that is fair and affordable for you and your employees :cwds:

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

With all due respect I don't choose to share that sort of information here, we are getting counsel from our insurance agent and tax experts.

I will say that I have a healthy distrust of how the government will manage our health care. I've worked in health care and specifically with medicare for a very long time. It's not the most efficient system and it strongly colors how I feel about the new system.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I feel compelled to point out that the ACA is NOT by any means "government managed health care". And too that I wonder by what comparison is medicare inefficient? Is "efficiency" the best measure of quality medical care? Is private insurance care more "efficient"? And finally, by what "efficiency" standard are you measuring? Cost efficiency? Patient satisfaction? Provider satisfaction?

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Perhaps efficiency isn't the best word choice. I was trying to be kind actually. The word choices I have wouldn't really be well received here. It's a flawed system.

Quality of care has gone down severely in the 25 years I have been a health care provider, and I attribute it fully to governmental rules and regulations that have no relation to the consumer or the provider. I acknowledge that fraud exists and needs to be handled but the current system has taken that to a level that has reduced quality of care and everyone is losing.

My current job is dealing with medicare. I would happily job hunt if it meant that my job was not needed and quality of care was the priority again. (edited to add that I will likely be job hunting soon because our small locally owned company will likely sell out to a large corporate agency. It's next to impossible for small health care companies~~the ones who care about each individual~~to compete in this climate).

No, the new system is not government managed. But there are enough governmental rules and regulations involved in it to make me wary.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Like rules to protect people with pre-existing conditions from being excluded from coverage? Like rules that permit children to stay on their parent's plans till 26? Like rules that would (if certain Governors would permit) medicaid coverage to be expanded to millions more of the working poor?

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Nope. Those rules make sense.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

But aren't those the rules you think will topple the system ... meaning the math?

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry. Since you were the one who shared that you are an employer, I thought that was an ok question to ask.

Good luck

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Look, I have enough paranoia not to discuss specifics on a public forum. I just see lots wrong with the current system to color how I view things being managed well in the future. I want to be wrong, trust me on this. I want to be optimistic and I am trying. It's just hard given some very current experiences with the system in place.

I'll not go any further in this discussion, sorry if that frustrates anyone. It's not for lack of information, it's just not the appropriate place for this discussion, at least not for me.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My husband works for a large corporation, and this year our premiums doubled. For next year the premiums are going up significantly again, and our out of pocket before one cent is paid for us is now $4000.00, up from $3100.00. I see lots of people bashing Obamacare, but they are happy to take the parts of it that will benefit them and their families. I agree that we all need to try to be more patient.

14. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Any rate rises are due to the greed of insurance companies. Check out their stock prices in the last 12 months

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/business/insurers-stocks-unhurt-by-the-dawn-of-obamacare.html?_r=0

http://viableopposition.blogspot.ca/2013/10/the-impact-of-obamacare-on-americas.html

So the big problem here is the private sector, not the government. It is BS that they will lose money if they have to insure all. It is the compromises made to get the right to pass Obamacare that are the problems with it that need to be ironed out. May just need some government regulation to keep the insurance executives from handing themselves even bigger compensations.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yep. We've been on it for ages (LOL, and we don't even live in MA, but hubby works in MA). We just got our re-up with a breakdown of the different plans. Our family deductible deductible doubled, but we saw only a slight increase for what is deducted from the paycheck. But because of D, my daughter pretty much will absorb all of it by June.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

I totally agree. The people who are saying that their employer is raising their premiums or changing their deductibles, but then bashing obamacare, is weird to me. Your employer has been subsidizing your premiums for years. Your employer saw a good way to either reduce or change coverage, or reduce their contribution to your insurance. None of it has anything to do with obamacare.

Many of us have never had our employers chip in anything for our insurance, and so the rates don't look that crazy to us.

But this is all still a problem with the insurance industry. We really need a single payer system that eliminates waste. That's the bottom line, but you know, we're never going to eliminate that....:rolleyes:

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

This is actually the first time in the 10+ years I've been at my job that we DIDN'T see a premium increase, nor any other changes to copays, deductibles, etc.

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

Our medical is going up 7% to around $440 per month for a family (2+). It's also a "more you earn the more you pay" plan which I find somewhat odd. I don't think there are any changes to deductibles or limits except, unfortunately, for chiropractic and acupuncture.

19. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

20. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members