- advertisement -

NYTimes, Story of smart insulin (in article Why Are So Few Blockbuster Drugs Invented Today?)

Discussion in 'Research' started by karri, Nov 14, 2014.

1. karri

karri Approved members

2. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Nice article, though it stops where we left Smart insulin with the buy of Merck. After all this time I am not that enthousiastic as I was 3 years ago. I really don't understand all this secrecy from Merck it is like they want to hide something.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Great read! Thanks for sharing.

4. Don

Don Approved members

It is strange to contemplate such a dynamic "cure" and have it disappear from public notice. I wonder if Merck is prohibited from saying anything. There are FDA gag rules about what companies are allowed to say when a product is under active review by the FDA but maybe the rules apply regardless?

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I got to listen to Todd Zion (developer of smart insulin) give a talk at my school a few weeks ago and I spoke to him afterwards. He is a really great guy. The talk was mostly about his education but he did touch on the FDA process and gave a very vague sense about his thoughts on where things stand with Merck. I actually didn't know much about smart insulin before attending the talk but I left hopeful about the fact that it probably could/does actually work but less than enthusiastic about it being commercially available any time in the next 15-20+ years.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

This is so sad. I believe smart insulin should be on a fast well funded track to get developed and FDA approved here and worldwide as it is such a smart efficient easy to use solution for most of the worlds T1s problems. Syringes and insulin can be delivered to even very very poor areas and also cheaply provided. If a more permanent cure ever happens great but in the meantime those in Africa, Asia, India, etc could really use an improvement over the current state of affairs and most poor people can not even afford or have access to even a supply of test strips let alone non expired insulin, pumps or CGMS systems. :( Ali

7. Don

Don Approved members

That is distressing. Assuming that the concept is truly viable, fifteen years to develop it seems hopelessly and unnecessarily long.

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Just to clarify that is only my opinion on the length of time required. I think it really all depends on how quickly Merck will proceed with their clinical trials and also how much money they put into it.