- advertisement -

NYT: Trying to Prevent T1D (Article)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by monkeyschool, Jun 7, 2011.

1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

2. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna was in the Abate trial and received Teplizumab, through a study also run by Dr Kevin Herold, not the study they are talking about in the article though. She went into the study 6 wks after dxs and it was, IMO, one of the best things we did for her.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

This made me both happy and sad:
    "If we could prevent this disease, for those individuals at high risk, you can think of it as a cure."

Happy that other kids won't get Type 1; extremely sad that this basically states they would stop searching for a cure; and to bring it a little further, if they cured Type 1 by preventing new diagnosis, no more money would be spent on improving technology...

4. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

This is wonderful news! For all the siblings that are "watching and waiting", this is great news! Thanks for sharing ms!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think about that too.

I guess deep down I believe that they'll find a way to prevent T1 someday, and a cure will then no longer be necessary. On the one hand, it will be great that Jack will not have to worry about his children getting this crap disease. But on the other hand, my heart will hurt for him and all of our kids as the incentive for companies to find a cure and produce new technology dries up. :(

6. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

This is what I thought too. :cwds: