- advertisement -

Nursing Student looking for info on diabetes type 2

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by Cherry, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Cherry

Cherry New Member

Hi everyone,
    We are 3 nursing students from Douglas College in New Westminster, British Columbia who are looking for information regarding diabetes type 2. We were wondering if anyone would like to share thier experience about how their life has changed after they had been diagnosed with diabetes and how they are coping? Please feel free to e-mail me at filda05@hotmail.com. Thank you for your time and aiding us with our research.

2. molly

molly Approved members

I am currently a student at Wright State University Dayton Ohio and we are researching juvenile diabetes and how it affects the family as well. I actually do have some info for you for my mother is a type 2 diabetic and is noncompliant. Approximately 8 years ago she had emergent open heart surgery for two occlusions. Left main and LAD. She did very well post op except for some time her bloodsugars were labile. She attended cardiac rehab and lost weight, controlled her hypertension as well as her diabetes. Over time my younger sister had a little girl with mulitple anamolies and is trach dependent and my mom has really let herself go. I believe she is depressed and turns to beer for comfort. She does not eat properly, check her sugars regualarly or exercise. About a week ago she was admitted to the hospital for food poisoning and uncontrolled bloodsugars. I am hoping that this has opened her eyes to taking care of herself. As for the family, my sister is an exercise physiologist in a cardiac rehab, I am a nurse in CVRU and our inability to help the one person we want to help is out of our hands. My mom must decide to take control of her life and make some lifestyle changes. ie. exercise, diet, checking bloodsugars ac & hs, etc. We get very frustrated and continue to try to help. It affects our interaction with our mother for she is very tired all the time, does not want to participate in family affairs with the grandchildren, etc. The whole situation affects everyone from my dad who chooses to let my mom live like she wants instead of offering support, grandchildren wondering why grandma is tired all the time. I hope this helps in some ways and if you have specific questions please feel free to ask.

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of judging going on there. I personally hate the term noncompliant. Sounds like your mom needs lots of support and education, as well as empowerment.

4. jstump7697

jstump7697 Approved members

I am Jeremy and i am 35 and have type 2 diabetes. I have been on since 2001 when my sugars were out of control and my blood sugar was at 400. Since then i have went through several different pills and regimans, and finally with Lanus Insulin @ 50 units nightly and Avandia my blood sugars are in between 100 and 145 or so. After getting it under control i started to notice my feet were burning and felt like someone was sticking me with needles. I found out through nerve and muscle tests i have Peripheral Neuropathy now too. So now i am on Gabapentin. All of these medicines have side effects of weight gain which is bad so it is extra hard for me to try and excersize, eat better, etc...I am 6'3" and weigh 300lbs. I am muscular, strong, active, i just do not eat as well as i should and excersize 20 minutes daily as i should. I have started to walk the stairs here at work to keep me moving since i sit behind a desk all day. I just do not want to die yet, i am young, married and have a young son which id love to spend my life with.