- advertisement -

nurse wants permission to contact matts dr directly

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie k, Sep 12, 2012.

1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

we had our meeting with the school today, and matt will attend tomorrow. It was bogus and a waste of time. They already have a diabetic child in the 8th grade now, so its nothing new to them, they delt with her last year.

What it boiled down to, was I crossed out the part that said the nurse could talk to the dr office direct, and she said if I didnt sign it matt will not be allowed to go to school. :mad:We went back and forth, her, stating in an emergency she should be able to contact the dr, I said in an emergency, they better be calling 911, I said we live 5 miles away, and really, who gets direct access to talk to any dr at a moments notice.... plus, add to it the fact, she is the nurse for the entire district and wont be at the school that much, why should she have access. becouse she is taking care of matt? she is never going to see matt.... the principles secretary is the one who will oversee matts care.

I was very pleasant, I was nice. We finished the meeting with I stating she could talk to the dr, but I never filled out the form, and Im sure she is going to type up a new "contract" with access to talk to the dr, and I dont want to sign it. I have been up front, I have said its been forever since matt had been to a dr, I said remember, I have been trying for insurance since I moved here in april, and finally on aug 20 was granted health insurance for my children. she kept matt out of school last year with the matt needed an oregon dr to sign health orders, not a mn dr to sign the years health orders. Matts health orders were good for the entire 2011/2012 school year.

I took matt to a dr last week, and that was a major joke, huge major joke, but he filled perscriptions for us. I then, had to make another appt yesterday becouse I got the forms off the internet this weekend after matts dr appt and needed the dr to sign, however, he is on vacation this week. So we saw a NP who accually took interest in matt, took blood tests and a urine test. she is also going to advocate for us with the new endos that we have to take matt to, becouse, our appt for matt to finally see a endo, is going to be january 14, 2013!!!:mad::eek: after getting the miniscule chart from the clinic we just took matt to, the one that says he hasnt been to a dr since last november, the great endos there have determined that he can wait, and not get a sooner appt. :rolleyes:

what am I suppose to do, she said if I dont sign this so she can have access to matts dr, he cant attend the school, is that true? do we have any recource? must I let her have access? can she legally keep matt out of school without that signed paper, as long as she has the signed drs orders of what to do?

2. Deal

Deal Approved members

Not worth fighting. Just get what you want without them knowing. You want Matt in school. Just sign it. The Dr. won't talk to them anyhow, especially if you ask him/her not to.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

The nurse needs to be told to take the anti bullying courses....... Don't sign!

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I would not sign.

I would insist that all communication about my child's care go through me and I would answer questions or take a question to the doctor, if that was truly needed. Here's what I wrote in an email--I edited for privacy and it would need to be tweaked to deal with the phone call issue, but you can see the stance we took.

We are uncomfortable giving access to all of __________'s personal current or future medical records. From a practical standpoint, much of the information in his records should only be evaluated by a well qualified physician. As the doctor's plan said, we are the foremost experts in the care and treatment of ____ and we should be the first point of contact. We are willing to honestly answer any diabetes questions you have or would want to ask his doctor. We are willing to bring questions directly to his doctor as needed, but must demand that we are involved in all discussions between the school and ______'s health care providers.

5. Jenneve93

Jenneve93 Approved members

I wouldn't sign it. I'm just super stubborn and territorial, though, and wouldn't want anyone in the school to have that much control. That's just me.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is verrrryyyy:) good. Polite yet firm on your feelings.

I wouldn't sign. IMO, there is no reason for the nurse to consult the doctor. I've said this in other posts, unless it was a dire emergency, our doctor wouldn't get back to the school nurse for a considerable period of time. They are just too busy and would also say something to the effect above.

7. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

As much as I understand the desire to fight, I have certainly done this before. Giving permission to the nurse to talk to the doc doesn't actually give them access to anything, the doc themselves will need an authorization. As long as you don't do that, all that can happen is one way communication school to doctor and even that, they may not accept.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Matt missed the last two months of school last year, and from his age, it appears that he has been held back before. Sign the paper, get him in school, and then fight the battle.

9. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I was just filling out an DMMP for Hana. She just started a new school this year. Went from public school to a very small Christian School. They've never had a child with D before and the nurse is a wreck and clueless. She approached me on Monday and told me that Hana (11) has to come to her office for BS checks because of CONTAMINIATION! I told her Hell to the NO, she will not. I told her there are laws in NJ about this and Hana can check anywhere and anytime necessary (oddly, I had emailed her all this info about the law and Hana's care info prior to the school year starting, which leads me to believe she didn't read it!). Anyway, I just started filling out the DMMP I pulled off the ADA website. At the very bottom where you sign, it says I give permission for the nurse to contact our physician. I crossed it out.

10. valerie k

I didnt have matt start school at 5 when he could becouse of medical bowel issues he had at the time. So he started kindy the next year at 6. He is to start today (second day of school) But Im sure she is going to type up something. Perhaps I can stop it at the endo/dr level in case she does decide she must call???

I didnt think she could prevent him from school as she said by my not signing it. I wish I knew who the other childs parents were, so as to talk to them. this nurse will barely be there, she has many schools she oversees. The school is really pushing him to do self care.... I gave them the endo speal of he can do what he wants, we as grownups must do the rest. He is suppose to go and test, write everything down, and we must pick the months lunch in advance so we can have the carbs already down for the secretary to just watch him push the pump buttens. Like, what if he decided to have something different? what do they intend on doing for special snacks ect.

11. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Not to mention the fact that the kid doesn't really have a doctor for the nurse to call. And all it takes is a note to the doctor's office informing them that no one else is to be allowed to access Matt's medical information. Get the kid in school and get working on your 504.

12. hawkeyegirl

Oh, I thought he was going into 6th grade, but maybe I was wrong about that. Regardless, I'd sign what I needed to in order to get him into school and go from there.

Until you get the 504 plan in place, I'd get him a cheapie phone and inform the school that since they are not providing him with someone to help him count carbs and dose, you will have to do it over the phone with him. I would bypass the school and call the food supplier myself and get the carb counts for the lunches. That way he doesn't have to choose his lunch in advance.

Did you ever contact the ADA? This school has been jacking you around since April or May.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

He's 13 I think, so it must be 7th or 8th grade - either way old enough to be allowed a phone and self-management.

And I agree, at this point I'd just sign the bloody thing and get him in school already.

14. valerie k

He is in 7th now, could have been 8th. They did give us the carb
    counts for lunch so we have picked, but, geeze, how often do you stand in line at a food joint and think you know what you want, only to change your mind at the last minute. we have the months lunch schedual, and the carbs for the food for each day. he can have the lunch, or pizza or a burger or chicken, sandwhich, salad (not like a salad will ever be a contender :rolleyes: )

He is to go to the office and test, imput blood glucose and the amount of carbs for the lunch he picked out, and then go eat. OOHH lets not forget, write everything down he is doing...

he doesnt have gym this semester, so its not an issue yet. he has home ec. but its the last hour of the day. I think the cell may be our best bet. that way in home ec, when they cook something, he can call and get carbs from us. I will have to talk to the school about that.

when we walked in yesterday, part of the students orientation was in the commons outside the office, the chat was about "being sick" she honostly said, we have 900 students, and no onsite nurse. If something happens, booboo or scrape, twist or sprain, you get 10 minutes, any longer then that, your parents get called and you go home. So no going if you have a headache or not feeling so well that a rest on a cot could cure... I said in the meeting, if matt comes in with a low, its a good 20 minutes of down time waiting, becouse its more of a 15carb/20minute wait for him. 15/15 doesnt seem to work well for matt, his system must need the extra 5 minutes to react.

they are really pushing self care, but I can only bet if I said in class testing, the nurse would have a cow. but yet, I dont really see what they are going to do besides irritate me. the nurse wants it all under her thumb and yet she isnt even going to be there. And putting alot on matt who hasnt exactly been "trained" to do this, as his dad and I do this type of stuff. write or wrong we have been told time and time again by his old endo he is a child and we are the parents and when he wants to take the reigns,
    he can. Not to force him as I think the school is. (his own record keeping ect)

No ADA call yet, I wanted to know matts rights about the medical record issue, and call them if is needed. I searched for hours last night trying to see if they have the right to deny him school access like she said if I dont allow her access to his dr.

He is in school now, I said I would sign, but I dont want to and want to know my rights about it. She has to type up "her" forms for us to sign. So I probably have a few days.

15. hawkeyegirl

Well, with respect to lunch, I guess I don't think it's too much to ask that a 13 year old decide what he wants to eat for lunch five minutes before he eats. If he changes his mind, is he able to figure out what to do if the replacement lunch has fewer carbs than he dosed for? If so, then the school never even needs to know.

If your son is not capable of self-care, you have the right to have a trained person at the school to help him. It doesn't matter if other 13 year olds they have had can do their own care. It is not up to them.

What they were saying in student orientation about how long a student can spend in the nurse's office doesn't apply to your son. Request the 504/IEP meeting in writing NOW and contact the ADA so that you can have an advocate attend with you. Do NOT wait to contact the advocate any longer. You need someone else on your side.

16. valerie k

he does have the health care form and an IEP. I called ADA and they are going to email me a letter of request for my problem (or percieved by me problem) So time will tell. I guess I have some time, she can get nothing from the first dr office, since they have done nothing for him yet. (blood tests) and request for an endo (january 14, 2013:mad: ) They didnt even bother to ask about getting matts records at all. Now of cource, you want information, that would be the pesky no good endo he had in mn :rolleyes: who wasnt good enough to have the signed proper documentation in the first place. ( I would do anything to be able to take matt back to her.... she was the best)

17. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

How about a call to the Superintendent of schools? Ask out-right if this nurse has the right to deny your child his education ... OR ... just call anonymously and ask, what are the reasons, if any, that a school nurse may deny a child his education?

I say skip the nurse and go to the top...

18. Mommy To 4

Mommy To 4 Approved members

I don't recall what school district you are in, but we are in Oregon as well. Over the weekend I got a similar release of information request from our school nurse for my DD. I sent her a polite and respectful e-mail letting her know that I wasn't comfortable signing the form and that I felt that any information they needed about her care should be addressed to me. This is her reply,
    "it is standard for me to ask for a release of information, however, there's no requirement for you to sign it especially if you don't feel comfortable. You're an involved parent, so I don't see any need for me to be contacting her doctors."

Given this response, I don't think that it is at the minimum a state requirement. It may be that she has misinterpreted the requirement to ask and turned that into a requirement for a signature.

19. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

Some good discussion going on here. If it were us, I would not allow the nurse to contact Matt's Dr directly. This removes both you and Matt from any discussions regarding his care, which should not be allowed. The tact I would take with the nurse is to ask her whether she has permission from the other 899 students' parents to contact their Dr's directly. When she says "no", ask her "why not". I suspect the ADA would take a special interest in the fact that your son is differentiated from and in effect, discriminated against, because of a disability.

20. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Nope, I wouldn't sign. tell her flat out she's not getting permission. She CAN NOT keep him from going to school simply because you won't let her talk to the dr. That is ridiculous. She needs to get off her high horse pretty fast.