- advertisement -

Nurse error. Don't know if I should laugh or cry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Dec 16, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

DS' battery alarm for his pump went off during school. No biggie, just ask the nurse to put in a new battery and re-prime. I was walking her through the procedure on the phone and I thought it went pretty well. At least until the cartridge empty alarm went off. Strange, I thought! I loaded 80 units the night before. Turns out the nurse had primed 70U on the floor! "But you didn't tell me to release the button!!!" was her response. I'm happy she disconnected the line first at least. Otherwise I may have been down one child...

DS said the nurse's office stunk from insulin the rest of the day. :)

Oh well... The never-ending fun of diabetes care!

2. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Oh no! That is a lot of insulin! Good thing he was disconnected. Live and learn.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My Vibe stops after 20 units and makes you go and reselect it from the menu before you can prime more even if you don't release the button. Does the Ping not do that? The excessive priming Animas puts you through makes me insane after using almost every brand. No other pump makes you prime after a battery change.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Animas products never had a cap on how much to prime, which I always thought was silly (right along with the hassle a battery change is on their products too!).

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Just like every pump has something about it that's really great, they all seem to have a feature that's a PITA. :) Better wasted insulin than overdosed insulin. Whew.

Our nurse's regular error is to treat a low at lunch and then put the low BG in the pump which does an automatic reverse correct. Drives me nuts! Has motivated me to fine tune basals though...

6. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Oh man. haha. Insulin does have a distinctive smell doesn't it?
    Its interesting what different schools are willing to do in terms of D care. At our school they don't do anything with the pump beyond bolusing. They would never do a battery swap.

7. njswede

njswede Approved members

Well, given yesterday's experience, your school may be onto something! :)

8. funnygrl

I need to do a reservoir and set change tonight. I'm going to try and prime past 20 again and see if it was a fluke that one time, or if they did fix that. It would be nice to know they're working on improving safety in subsequent products. But 20 would still be a ton for a connected prime!

9. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We just changed sites last night and I noticed it stopped at 19u for us. My son was practicing to do his own changes and it wouldn't go past 20, which for us is about 5 drops after the line is filled. Still, 20u is double my sons TDD (usually). I'm glad the pump screen reminds to disconnect so it would be hard to miss, but YSNMV.

10. funnygrl

Okay, stopped at 19 tonight. Glad to know on the Vibe, at least, you can't get up to 70. That situation could have been awful if he had been connected!

11. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

It may have been fluke, but last time I changed the Vibe battery before the pump gave us a "low battery warning" because we were going to be at the hospital a few days and DS would be in the cars of grandparents and I didn't want them to have to change the battey. The pump did not make us prime,etc. If it loses a bar on the battery power however it does make us prime. Not very practical for most as you don't want to waste batteries but I knew it had been a while so I proactively changed it. Also, you don't have to re-prime the whole line at battery change. I usually just do 1-2u since line is already full.....

12. njswede

njswede Approved members

I have to check the pump log when he gets home to see how much insulin was actually squirted out.

13. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Yep, we all make mistakes and nurses are no exception. I was at school one day troubleshooting a long and very high high with the nurse one day and I asked if she had syringes in case she would need to do a correction with one. Showing me the syringe one uses to fill the pump she told me that she had a syringe.

14. njswede

njswede Approved members

Well, there you have it:

20151217_220514.jpg

61 units!

15. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

61 units! Ouch! This would seriously impact my surplus insulin supply for the Zombie Apocalypse; every drop counts...

16. mamaberkhie

mamaberkhie Approved members

We say this all the time :D We recently started receiving our insulin through the mail, and one of the first things we commented on was that we now have a decent amount of insulin just in case there is a zombie apocalpyse!

17. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

18. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Gotta get me some water buffalos now that I have an extra bedroom; wonder how many water buffalos I can fit in the master suite...

Hope zombies don't eat water buffalos!