- advertisement -

Numbing cream

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 1luckymom, Aug 22, 2007.

1. 1luckymom

1luckymom Approved members

I am trying to get a prescription for numbing cream from my dd's endo. Today the PA in the office said he didn't know of anything that would work and the dr. is out. I know I have read some threads about something to numb the area before inserting a site. Can anyone give me the name of what you use so I can tell the dr's office? Thanks!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Emla cream:)

3. 1luckymom

1luckymom Approved members

Thanks for responding. I feel like shouldn't be the one researching this but this place is such a great resource I figured it would faster than the doc. Does Emla stand for anything or is that the actual name? Thanks again - my dd will really appreciate it!:)

4. Alpha

Alpha Approved members

yip we use emla cream works for ds, but not for me,
    reccomend leaving it on for at least an hour though :)

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

emla is the brand name.. the tube that I have is lidocaine 2.5% and Prilocaine 2.5%.. and is prescription only

Kim

6. munsonklein

munsonklein Approved members

Emla's the name, but they may give you a generic version- it's 2.5% lidocaine and 2.5% prilocaine cream. Just make sure you clean it off really thoroughly before site insertion- otherwise the site won't stay on very well. You can also get a non-prescription 4% lidocaine cream from Fifty50 Pharmacy:

http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com/index.mvc?page=F5/PROD/kidscorner/lespain

Cathy

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I had this problem this weekend with our Insuflon. I guess I didn't clean the site well and I put it in. We then got into the car to go to a baseball game - I wanted to make sure the Insuflon was in so that she could graze and we could dose as much as we wanted without shots. By the time we got to our seats, the insuflon basically just fell out in our hands. I was quite disappointed!