- advertisement -

number of vials of insulin covered by insurance?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emilyandkevsmom, Sep 14, 2011.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

That's great news! :) Our CDE gave us the same song and dance once about being audited, and I told her flat out to write the rx and if there was a problem, we would deal with it. We've never had any problems with the insurance company at all. :rolleyes:

2. emilyandkevsmom

emilyandkevsmom Approved members

I use a little small pharmacy so i don't think they have this but i will check. I am usually there right on the day though for her test strips (she only gets 200) so i am going to get her insulin filled at the same time each month so maybe I can have a back up bottle or 2.

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Keep in mind you can usually refill a few days before the 30 day mark. I'd find out the earliest you can refill and do it right on that day.

4. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

I can see why physicians are worried about insurance companies, but clearly you aren't abusing it! We have never asked for a specific amount but prior to her move to Nashville for graduate school my oldest daughter used approx. 2-2.5 vials a month and we were prescribed 8. I never questioned it, I just thought they wanted us to have extra? Now that she sees a provider at Vanderbilt they will only write for two which really isn't enough. I haven't said anything nor has she because we have many extra from previous scripts and our team at CHLA will write her a script if needed. Diabetes is so much work and constant monitoring on the family/patient it really doesn't seem right to have to be put in a position where you are worried about running out of insulin, not having an extra bottle if one is bad or breaks etc. due to insurance audits- don't we have enough issues? Geesh.