- advertisement -

Now the PDM crashes.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Sep 23, 2013.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

My son's calls for MDI are starting to resonate. Today at school the PDM crashes. At first it re-booted and began asking for name, time of day, etc .... When I get to school to reset basal rates etc ... the screen begins repeatedly flashing from all black to all white. All black ... all white. Couldn't shut it off. Tried rebooting, per Insulet's suggestion. Nothing. Broke the old PDM and pods out of the closet. They're over-nighting another one.

Up to this point I've resisted his calls to go MDI and convinced him and me that the pump is the way to go (he won't consider tubed). I had to talk to him AGAIN about the benefits of the pump over MDI but "the sell" is getting tougher and tougher.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry. :( It sucks when D intrudes into our lives in a way that makes our kids unhappy.

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We had the flashing screen business on the old PDM. We were in Hawaii and flying out the next day, So they couldn't ship the new PDM to the hotel. We had to do shots for the trip home. Her numbers were miserable the entire flight.

4. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Having to dart out of my office and drive across town to school is an inconvenience. Having to sit on perma-hold with Insulet is an inconvenience. But those aggravations are painless compared to having to stand outside the nurse's office and watch my son walk down an empty school hallway back to his classroom. Made me tear up. Yep, today D sucked.

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

We tried pumping twice and are back to MDI. ds also keeps his pen with him and gives insulin as required where ever he is, including the classroom.

6. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Some people, like me, honestly don't see many benefits to pumping v MDI. I've posted quite a few threads on my daughter going back to mdi from the pump and some people have actually told me they had better a1cs on mdi.

My reason for her going on the pump was the start of kindergarten.. I thought it would be easier for whoever would be taking care of her. She was given a 1:1 RN to manage her care and that is when I felt I could finally put her back on shots. I just had enough of the pump, nothing but problems for us. We've been a lot happier.

If he wants to go back to mdi why not let him? Maybe he will get tired of doing the shots and realize the pump was better for him.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm glad you've found what works best for you now. Please don't completely write off the pump completely for the future, though. I can't imagine how hard puberty would be or how dreadful my daughter would feel going through puberty on MDI - and that's from her who fought the idea of pumping for a year.

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'm definitely not writing off the pump, if my daughter wants to go back on when she's older, fine. It might be easier then, more real estate for the sites, and she'll be able to take a little control of her D care herself. Right now, it's just not what's best for us.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I completely agree with your decision to go back to MDI. I was a fierce mama bear when anyone tried to push pumping on my daughter when she didn't want it (growled at a non-D person who told me "pumping gives them their life back" and informed her the CDE had said it was trading one kind of stress for a different stress), but with this roller coaster, I make constant use of the temp basals up and down to keep her safe and feeling good. I'm so thankful we switched when she did because one month later things turned horrendous.

10. shannong

shannong Approved members

Has your son had a chance to meet with the pump reps and have a good look at the tubed pumps? My 7 year old is a super active kid and does all kinds of sports. I thought that we would constantly be having pulled sites and kinked tubing, etc. But the pump and tubing is remarkably resistant to all the wear and tear my kid puts it through. We spent the entire summer at our cottage and he rarely even put on a pump pack, just mainly clips it to his pants. Anyway, he hasn't felt that it gets in the way at all.

11. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

If he really pushes on MDI, then we'll go back to MDI. Lately he's been chanting MDI out of frustration, but when I push back a little (he is 10 years old after all), he caves pretty quick. The biggest challenges with on MDI are night time corrections (he wakes with injections but not finger sticks), which we do alot of, and combo bolusing (sometimes up to 4 or 5 per meal) which we also do alot of. But if pods keep failing, and he keeps pushing, then we'll go back. I've already committed that we will MDI next summer, so maybe that will hold him until then. We'll see.

12. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We pushed buttons on a Medtronic and an Animas while in the doctor's office. He picked out the Animas to demo, so they hooked him up with a dummy and he went to school with it on. He came home and said it didn't bother him one bit. He slept with it that night and woke up the next morning looking like a zombie. He told me the tubing really bothered him when he slept and wants nothing to do with it now. He's the kind of kid who has to have things just so, and if something off it will bug him until it's fixed. The tubing didn't go over well and he's adamant about not trying it again. I suspect there are ways to make the tubing less invasive during sleep if it is bothersome, but not sure I can get him to trial it again. I'll certainly give it a whirl though before going back to MDI if he's adamant about dropping the pods.

13. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Did he sleep with the pump loose? or in a pumppack? My daughter hates the pump being loose but never minds about the pump tucked in close.

14. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I think it was loose. We didn't have a pack of any sort. I'll be sure to try a pack if we end up demo'ing one again. Thanks.