- advertisement -

Novopen Jr. -just a half unit

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by szofa12yrold, Nov 24, 2011.

1. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

I am looking for others experiences with dispensing just a half unit from the Novopen Jr. I have tried just 1 unit for a high BG correction and found that I can't do it without going hypo so thus far I just haven't had the ability to correct. Gotta get my meal doses correct or live with it if I misdose. Last night though I tried using the click before 1 unit. I had noticed that, although officially there is no half unit dose before 1, there is a click between 0 and 1. So, I tried it and it seemed to work out. It was bedtime and I injected that 1/2 unit and set my alarm for 1 hr. and went to bed and when my alarm went off, I woke up and tested and my BG had gone down by a good amount to put me in good standing but not too much to make me in an unsafe zone.

Anyone else try this?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I used to do it. The way I figured, even if it wasn't accurate, it was definitely less than or equal to 1U, so safer than giving a 1U correction. My response to corrections has never been regular enough that I can say for sure whether it was accurate, but it was certainly functional.

3. Deal

Deal Approved members

We use 1/2 unit at times. We make sure to prime a unit, wait a few seconds, then deliver. It seems to work fine.

4. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I didn't find it reliable so I got half unit syringes and a vial and drew it up that way. I had better results from that.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I used the half unit corrections for a time, and I think they worked, but I'm actually not sure- I tended to use them when my blood sugar was unstable anyways.

6. szofa12yrold

szofa12yrold Approved members

Thanks all.

Emma, I've been thinking like you.

I've tried it twice now with good result. Brought me down quite a bit but not too far like the 1 unit does. Well, my insulin dosing is more art than science or math anyway...