- advertisement -

Novolog vs Humolog insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Liongirl4, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

I ddn't think there was that much difference between Humolog and Novolog, but our endo is telling us there is. He says its more stable for one, can last 35 days as opposed to 28, and is also more stable in a pump..He is having Samantha switch before she goes to Greece because of the stability, but wants her to switch a month before because "you will notice a difference in blood sugars".
    Can anyone tell me more about the difference between the 2 insulins??

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

We've used both insulins but only novolog in the pump because - frankly - that is what insurance pays for. It only paid for humalog because we needed to dilute it when on shots (and he was 2 yrs old) - and you can't dilute novolog (or you couldn't back then).

I couldn't tell any difference when we switched - certainly nothing dramatic. Which one did he say is more stable? We use up a bottle before 28 days now - but several years ago when a bottle would last more than a month - I never could tell a problem with novolog at 28 days or 32 days, etc.

3. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

The endo said Novolog was more stable..he even said that it would last 6 days in the pump and wouldn't it be great to do site changes every 6 days?? (I don't agree with that.)
    This is the endo who also said with the CGM you only have to do finger checks twice a day..so I don't always believe everything he says.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I have heard novolog is more stable in a pump than humalog is.. humalog tends to crystalize.. I usually fill a reserveroir to 180u and use it for 6 days, I change the site out at day 3, rewind and prime the pump and new tubing.. UNLESS its wacky weather, really cold or really hot.. either of those will kill the insulin faster.. never heard that humalog you have to toss at 28 days though.. lantus is 28days, but the logs I thought were all 30days.. thats what we do anyway.. the beginning of each month we get a new vial.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've used both, with no appreciable difference. :cwds:

6. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

i've used both in my pump for 12 years; in fact, i change at will. there has been zero difference and that includes times traveling to the middle east, iraq, and other difficult places.
    not to be overly cynical, but sometimes doctors get rewarded for pushing a certain brand. you might want to ask your endo if he/she is part of any arrangement.
    i always ask mine to be certain about the information i'm given.

7. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I've tried both novolog and humalog, and cannot tell a difference between the two. I use the same ratios and ISF for both insulins, and I never noticed that either one lasted longer. Everyone is different, however, and I was on MDI for the majority of the time I was on novolog. My experience may have been different with it if I had been pumping at that time.

I would also be suspicious that kickbacks may be an issue. One of my previous endos aggressively pushed Apidra on me when I wasn't ready to try it. It had just been released and I was pregnant, too much risk for me at that point. They tried their best to upsell it at each appointment, and it was indeed amazing to hear them say just how "everyone is using it" in their practice and "it works so much better". :rolleyes: There were pamphlets throughout the waiting area for Apidra and Minimed, but not much else, which made me wonder about their intentions. I eventually switched, but it was nearly two years later, at another endo's office and on my own terms.

Regardless, if you aren't comfortable with the change, or if it's not necessary because the current insulin works well enough, then you should let them know. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." ;)

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Jeremy is on Novolog. We were not given a choice. I do remember something from our first training where we got the BG testers and Novopens that Novolog was covered under our insurance.

What's funny was that we received a ton of reading material during our training at the hospital and when I got home and started going through it, some of it was advertising for Humalog.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle has only used Humalog but her endo said there was no appreciable difference. It is tough because you get different answers from different endos...:rolleyes:

Good luck...

10. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

I was told that they were pretty interchangeable. We switched to Humalog from Novolog last week because I wanted to be able to get a pen and our endo said that the Humalog Luxura pen is more accurate. I have noticed more hypos with little man since we switched (using the same ratios as we used on Novolog) I backed off a little bit and it brought him back into target. I will say that this could easily be a fluke!!

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't have personal experience with Humalog. But, I have always heard that it has a tail (Drop at the end) Is that what he means? Or just the time it lasts?:confused:

12. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

We have only used Novolog and our endo (Yale New Haven) was adamant that it performs better in the pump based upon studies they have done. We almost had to use a diluted Humolog (bc diluted Novolog was not an option) and they were very reluctant. We ended up never needing it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  13. Ali

Ali Approved members

I found Novolog to be a smoother insulin and to not cause clogging. I had much better pump performance with the Novolog. I have some pretty low basals so would get clogging and not get an alarm for a long time. I also do not bolus large amounts so even with many of my bolus amounts the pump would not alarm. When I switched I discovered how many of my higher numbers where due to the humolog. I had also ben told by one Endo no difference but my current Endo suggested the change. Ali

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We find that sites last longer with Novalog than they did with Humalog. Other than that, no change in I:Cs, basals, etc.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's funny ... they had us on Humalog for ages. I think Yale is hit or miss, depending on the CDE you're working with.:rolleyes: