- advertisement -

November 14th and school :'(

Discussion in 'Teens' started by babykat, Nov 10, 2011.

1. babykat

babykat Approved members

Today they were supposed to announce that Monday is world diabetes day and to wear blue. I waited listening to the announcements. They never said a word. I left to go to the bathroom and once i got there i cried. I cried because no one cares. I cried because even though diabetes kills more people then breast cancer (which my school supported) they didn't say a word. I am so fed up because no one understands that diabetes wont hesitate to hurt someone who has it. But no, to other people diabetes is something you get if your fat and don't eat healthy. It's something that unmentionable people have. To them, it's something that doesn't matter.

2. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I understand you completely. Actually the other day I did the same thing. I asked my principals if we could have a fundraiser for diabetes awarness month, she said yes and she'll put it on the annocements.... She didn't. I just broke down when I got home. It sucks. We try to advocate but nothing gets through to America's minds. It makes us feel like crap. America isn't educated in diabetes. They hear the word cancer and automatically freak. They don't know diabetes kills more than breast cancer AND aids combined.

Babykat- you should repost this is general discussion bc I said something like this a couple weeks ago and people just ingoredit.

3. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Yeah it sucks, when most people think people with diabetes brought it on themselves, they don't feel sorry for us.

Maybe you could get them to announce it tomorrow? or maybe if the school won't do anything, you could put up some flyers around the school. Something with a few of the most common misconceptions (cant have sugar, brought it on themselves, etc.)

sorry to hear about your school

4. babykat

babykat Approved members

I know just what your talking about in my first week back someone asked me if i got it because i ate to much sugar.:mad:
    I did give flyers to my "councleler" but with my luck (and the fact that they just put them up today) no one probably noticed them. Plus we have tomorow off for veterans day
    I just hate how little people know about diabetes and how they just don't understand how seroius it is unless they are really close to someone who has it.
    I am actually going to make a shirt with diabetes statics(like 68% of lower limb amputations) on it and see what reactions i get and if I'm lucky I might actually get some people to realize how serious it is. Oh, and that there is more than one type and of course that type would be type 2 :(
    Thanks for the support in knowing i am not alone in this one.

5. babykat

babykat Approved members

If only people could just understand how hard it is and that we couldn't have done anything to prevent it.

6. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

That's a good idea with the shirt. I really like it. You know you really got me thinking and Monday when i get to school I am going to go to my health teacher and talk to her and see if we can do a diabetes awareness month in our school. I am sure she'll understand bc her son is a type one diabetic. I hope I can do something in my school. If she says yes, can I use your idea about the tshirts?

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm really sorry; it's so frustrating when people don't understand diabetes. I was upset a few years ago because when my class in school were voting for a charity to raise money for, not many people thought that the JDRF was a charity worth raising money for.

But then I realised - the reason that they didn't think they should be raising money for the JDRF was because people like us were doing such a good job of living well with diabetes! They were coming to school every day and seeing me there looking healthy, eating with the rest of them, being happy, and generally doing well in my life. Why would they have thought that they should raise money for diabetes?

When I thought about it (and this is after quite a few years, so my diagnosis is not so raw anymore) I decided that actually I'd rather it was like this. I know, and my best friends know, that diabetes charities are worth raising money for. But I'm happy that I'm doing well enough with diabetes that people don't feel sorry for me.

So basically, I can completely understand why you are upset, because I've been in a similar situation. And I really understand why you want people to wear blue for diabetes day, because awareness is so important. But it is also a happy thing that you are dealing so well with D that people don't think it's the most important thing about you, and that you have so much else going for you that people don't JUST feel sorry for you because you have diabetes!

8. babykat

babykat Approved members

Of course and plz do! sorry i know this response is late :(