- advertisement -

Novalog or Humalog in Pump???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Skyefire, Nov 27, 2010.

?

Humalog or Novalog, please comment

1. Novalog "normal" ISF

22 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Humalog "normal" ISF

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. Novalog "High" ISF

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. Humalog "High" ISF

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

Background...
    DS has been pumping for 2.5 years now. He has a very high isf so tends to use very small amounts of insulin, basal is around 3u and bolus depending on day between 4-8...8 is only when really hungry.

Before pumping he was started on Novarapid (Novalog) then switch to Humalog when he went on diluted insulin. We were told that when he started pumping we should use Novarapid, because humalog in small doses could crystalize in the tubing. But I really liked humalog, not sure if it was because it was diluted but he seems to come down nicer with it when we used it.

So I am just wondering how many people use humalog in there pumps?? We are having a hard time getting his a1c down. I know it is due in part to the fact that he is growing and still honeymooning, and his high ISF, but I have always found that Novarapid cause very fast crashes him is BG and I am starting to think we should give Humalog a chance.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son uses Apidra which works great. I don't know what a typical ISF is. My son's is 40.

3. Skyefire

They wont let him try Apidra, his ISF 175-220...and his body uses the insulin very fast, so it is in and out of his system is 2 hours. Which is great when he is having lows, but Apidra is not something they want to try because of it

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  4. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

My son is 13 and uses a great deal more insulin than your son. I have heard the many comments of Humalog crystallizing in pumps. However we have only used Humalog and have never had that happen (knock on wood..lol). My son has been pumping for 2 years.

5. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Lilly used Humalog for a couple of years and then started having highs on the third day of a site. Our CDE said it was probably the Humalog so we changed to Novolog and do not have that problem anymore.

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

My son has very low basal needs - 4.85u compared to about 15u bolus - some rates are as low as .05 (would go lower if we could) and I've never noticed an issue with crystallisation - we use Humalog. When we started pumping our TDD was 7. Nobody mentioned to us that there might be an issue with crystallisation. Edited to add that ISF was 180 when we started pumping. It's down to 72 now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  7. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We use Humalog...due to insurance reasons...and we used to use Novalog. My son has been on Humalog for over a year now, and by the 2 1/2-3rd day....he starts running higher (200-300) I dont know if it's the insulin, site, or the moon in the wrong rotation:rolleyes:All I know is I have tried EVERYTHING, and nothing has helped us.:( I hope you figure something out...and soon.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm on Novolog and have a "high" ISF for someone of my age (about 100). I'm pretty sure most teenagers have a lower ISF than that.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Novolog here with an ISF of 70.

Overall, I'm happy with the results from this combo.

10. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

While I have no experience with Humolog we had been pumping Novlog and switched to Apidra under similar conditions and have only good things to report. CJ's ISF is 200 during the day and 400 at night and her basal is never higher then .1, .025 from 3am to 7am actually. We have always had to change sites after 2 days though because DDs absorption plummets after that regardless of which insulin.

11. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Novolog here, with an ISF of 100 / 125 depending on the time of day.

12. Skyefire

Thanks for the responses everyone, I love hearing the feed back

13. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

We have always used novolog since dx in 2005, started pumping almost 2 yrs ago. I hope that humalog does ok in pump b/c next year that is what our insurance will cover. So we will see how it goes.

14. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

We use Novalog because it is cheaper through insurance, but we never noticed a difference between the two when we switched last January.

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We have always used Humalog. We often have the lowest basal rate (0.025) and our ISF is above 250 at night. Never had a crystallization problem. We also suspend when we bathe, do gymnastics, swim, and never have a problem reconnecting after the insulin is "sitting still"

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We used to use Humalog in the pump but it was with angled sets. When we switched to straight in 6mm sets the problems started. I am willing to try the Humalog again with our 6mm sets.

17. krisfitz

krisfitz Approved members

We started on Humalog last year (in Animus pump) when Luke was diagnosed, and just a few months ago we switched to Novalog due to higher BGs on 3rd day.
    Novalog didn't fix that problem (we now just change sets every 2 days), but it did have the unexpected affect of tightening his BGs and lowering meal spikes about 50 points without any other change on our part.
    "This is Caleb" (blog) just posted that she saw the same when switching from Novalog to Apidra, so now very curious about that as well.
    (Luke's ISF is 300 and higher, but he's a toddler.)

18. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

has anyone suggested diluting with humalog in the pump???????????? It can be done. ;) Because you'd be diluting you'd be using greater quantities which would avoid the whole crystallization issue. I know it's contraindicated but I also know a few people who have done it. With plenty of success. Unfortunately none of them are here anymore.

19. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We used diluted Humalog, but you either have to do it yourself(which we did) or have it done at a compounding pharmacy(expensive, we did this also in the beginning). The problem is that back when we used it we had a Minimed 508 that you could set to U-50 insulin. So, it would not be confusing on the dosing. The pump knew it had diluted insulin. Using diluted insulin in the current pumps on the market , which as far as I know don't have it where you change to U-50, would be a pain in my opinion.

20. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I use Novolog and my ISFs are...I guess "normal." They are 30, 32, and 90 (for nighttime).