- advertisement -

Not sure why this would matter???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS goes to a camp for kids with various medical issues, not just D. Most kids have allergies, asthma, etc. and there are four kids with D. There is a (completely overwhelmed) nurse on staff. She travels with the various age groups (preK - 6th grade) when they go bowling, movies, etc.

Two kids are on pumps; two kids are MDI (Aidan is MDI).

When the nurse travels to bowling with the older pump kids, they want me to go in and give Aidan his injection (just one day a week). Yet, when she is out traveling with Aidan, the pump kids are able to self-medicate.

In DS's camp plan of care, his endo says "Aidan can self-medicate with supervision" meaning someone just looks at his pen to make sure he clicked up the right amount of insulin, but he is doing the injecting. Sometimes he does it at school and home, depending if he feels independent that day, lol.

My question: why would the pump kids be able to self medicate without a nurse, but a MDI cannot?? Like I said, the endo gave the clearance and both DS and I are ok with it.

I work 1/2 hour away from camp, so round trip would be a minimum of 1 hour+.

YES, it's only 5x I have to go up there and I'll figure out something with my grumpy boss, but what am I missing here?? Enlighten me if you see something I am missing, pump v. MDI. BTW, his direct counselor is a 4th year nursing student and one of the directors has an OmniPod.

Thanks!!!

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Of course the easiest thing to do would be to ask. I can only surmise that they have a problem with someone other than the nurse giving injections. Are the other MDI child's parents asked to come in? Is it addressed anywhere in their policies/handbook?

BTW, I definitely think they should be able to handle injections.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, ^^^.

Best of luck!

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If it were me, I would be asking that question to the nurse and not strangers on the Internet.

5. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Naturally I asked the nurse first and questioned her and the director on it. There is no policy or handbook; just a simple one page medical form that has to be signed by the endo. The only answer I get is that they are uncomfortable allowing this and want me to come in.

I was just looking to see if anyone could shed some light on this topic and had a different point of view that they were willing to share.

6. Christopher

In your original post, you did not indicate that you talked to them.

So when they said that to you, did you push back at all, trying to understand why they would be "uncomfortable" in this situation, but they are OK with a very similar situation with the kids who pump. Do they double check the amount the kids are pumping? Seems very similar to double checking the amount your son would be injecting. I would dig deeper and try and see what they are uncomfortable with. Good luck!

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Strangers on the Internet? I thought asking questions here was what this forum is for. But that's just me.

To the OP, I was wondering if the fact that your son uses pens is a factor. I think they are easier myself, but maybe the nurse is more familiar with syringes. But what happens when they are just at camp and not away? Does the nurse do it then, or your son, or what?

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

I just re read your post and I see now the nurse is gone with the older kids. So who would oversee his self care? It sounds like no one is comfortable with it. Perhaps if you trained whoever is left there, they would be willing? Maybe they are worried he won't want to do it himself that day, and then they would have to do it. Depending on the state you live in, that would be against the law. In CA for example, only an RN can do injections at school.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Would they be comfortable if they called you to confirm the dose and then Aiden administered it? I think they just want to minimize their liability here, and if you confirmed the dose over the phone, it seems to me that might make them more comfortable.

Does the camp get any state or federal funding?

10. Christopher

Yes, strangers on the Internet. People who would have no idea of the camp policies, no idea of the thought processes of the nurse or the camp director, etc. In this specific case, it seemed to me that the first thing a person would do would be to speak to the camp personnel rather than people on the Internet.

A question like this is completely different than, say, "I am thinking of switching from Lantus to Levemir, can people tell me what their experiences have been?". I am surprised you cannot differentiate between the two types of questions. On second thought, maybe it is not that surprising.

11. sooz

sooz Approved members

Lisa, from my point of view, any question someone has a concern about is a valid question. There should not be a worry that someone does not think your question is valid. If they think that way, they should just ignore the question and move on. Others will try to help. Hang in there.

12. Lisa - Aidan's mom

I shouldn't have left the part out that I did speak to them first; I was typing fast and just wanted to get my post done. Let's move on.

Hawkeyedgirl, I will run your suggestion thru them; I can be on the phone and we can confirm his doseage; seems reasonable to me - maybe it will work.

Thank you!!

13. Christopher

I never said it wasn't a valid question. I think it is a great question. All I said is that I would ask the question to the people who are in the best position to answer it, the camp nurse/director. I then went on to offer the OP advice on a way to approach the appropriate people.

14. Christopher

No worries, I do the same thing sometime. :cwds:

Hope you get some resolution to your issue.

15. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

When I read the OP, I wondered if perhaps it was the fact that your son's orders reference the need for supervision. Perhaps the older kids on pumps manage without supervision?

In any case, I hope you can work it out.

16. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I don't know but school policies can be baffling. When my dd was in fourth grade the doctor signed papers saying she could self administer via the pump. But she'd have to have a witness according to the school. Then the school required a witness to the witness! So dd did the pump, and TWO adults watched her do it. Crazy.

Of course now in the same small school district she's in 6th grade and does it all alone, no witnesses. Different principals, different rules. :rolleyes:

17. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

It could be the fear of giving a shot. You watch tv and you hear of air bubbles and such it can be overwhelming. Try reassuring and push them through if you can

18. Christopher

Just to clarify for anyone reading this and wondering, if you are injecting IM (intra-muscular) air bubbles are not really anything to be concerned about. Aside from the fact that you are injecting less insulin.

Obviously, you want to avoid them if possible (gently flicking the syringe), but they won't hurt you.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I did not read.

So excuse me if I repeat, A kiddo on a pen and one on a pump should have the same "OK" to do so.

Maybe it is that your nurse has not done this yet???

So my dd, tests and does an "add bg" no matter the BG, letting the pump figure out the dose, then the clinical aide dial's n the dose and McKenna hits OK.

Whether it dial'ing up a pen dose or a pump dose 'it should be the same, "the child", given the OK is able to dose themselves.

20. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

This is what I would try.