- advertisement -

Not sure what's going on...Zoe not well

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 2type1s, Oct 19, 2009.

1. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Hi all...I know I should know this by now, but we had a rough night. We had our Fall Festival at church yesterday, and Zoe ran around like a crazy kid playing games, eating candy, chili, smores etc. She kept popping sugars around 300-350 even with lots of corrections and activity. I thought her site looked bad, and decided to change it out when we got home. Still over 300. Took shower and went to bed (I did not correct again, because the pump said 5 units on board). I was afraid of the activity and insulin catching up and her crashing. She starts itching like crazy and has a rash on her face and neck. Check her at 12:30, and she's HI (!!!!). She has never been over 600 since dx. Small ketones, spend the rest of the night bringing her down. 3:00 250, then slept through 5:00 alarm, wake up at 6:00 and she'd 56. Looks like crap, feels very dizzy and can't sit up because her head hurts too bad. She tried around 9:00 to get dressed for school. BG is 198 (only had a 19 gram juice). She is very pale, with dark circles under eyes, c/o stomache ache, BAD headache and very dizzy. So...I'm not sure if she's getting sick, or this is the result of a bad high/low combo. When my oldest has a HI or 500 bg, she doesn't seem fazed by it. zoe just seems miserable (she has been asleep all morning). So...for those of you who deal with 9-10 year olds...is this the ketones, or sickness? Or both?

2. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Sorry to hear that Zoe is feeling so bad. I don't have any great advice, you have much more experience than I do.

I hope she starts to feel better soon.:cwds:

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

the itching and rash make me wonder if she had an allergic reaction to something? That could cause stomach ache too. I'd call her ped.
    Sure hope this passes quickly!!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh thats too bad! Im sorry shes not feeling well:( i wonder if she ate something yesterday that she was allergic too? That would cause a rash and stomach ache. Steven will sometimes get stomach aches with highs and ketones. Any fever? or diarhea? Hope she feels better soon:cwds:

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Allergic reactions always always skyrocket my BGs.. and I'm talking needing four times the insulin sometimes... :rolleyes: I really hope that's not what you're dealing with because it's very tough to manage (as well as finding out what caused the allergic reaction :mad:).

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Does she have a fever?

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

How is she feeling now?
    Did you call the ped?

ETA: She had chili??? People put weird things in chili.. Could be allergic reaction or maybe food poisioning?
    Again, I'm not a doctor by any means, I hope she's feeling better.

8. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Em,
    Can you go to an allergist where you live?
    I actually have one set for my dd the day before Thanksgiving.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think you can, but I don't think they could do much for me. My worst reaction and the most horrible one for my BGs is to UV rays.. As far as I know, there isn't a particularly good treatment for that except anti-histamines, and staying out of sunlight (both of which I already do). According to my doctor, that's the best I can do. :mad:

10. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

:cwds:
    Wow?
    can you get a second opinion:cwds:

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Maybe.. To be honest it's not too bad (living in the UK :p) as long as I wear SPF 70 sunblock in the summer. If it got worse or I was living somewhere which actually had a reasonable amount of sunlight, I might be more inclined to get more opinions on it.

12. rebesser

rebesser Approved members

Please get her checked out by a doctor.

Rachel

13. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Sharon, I don't have any advice just prayers for you and Zoe! Let us know how she is feeling. I wish I could help.

14. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

I hope she is feeling better. Did you call the doctor? I'd definitely call the Dr.