- advertisement -

Not sure what to think about my endo...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mrs Puff, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Mrs Puff

Mrs Puff Approved members

My son had an endo appt this week. The doc looked over his log book (I wrote all the numbers down from his meter the night before :eek:), checked his breathing and heart rate, A1c (which was 7.6 due to steroids two months ago) and that was about it. She asks us if we have any questions, of which I really didn't, and then we were done. The only dietitian we have ever seen was at the hospital when we were diagnosed. So here is the thing, part of me thinks I am not getting enough bang for my bucks, the other part thinks that is fine because she doesn't do/say things that I have read on this message board that other endos do/say that make parents mad. Any time I have called with questions about numbers they have always helped me. I kinda feel that I am armed with the Pink Panther book, the Ragnar Hanas book, this website and the internet, and the endo serves as back-up. Is my endo a slacker? Am I abnormal for being fine that she doesn't intrude?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If I went in to visit the endo merely because it had been a few months, I'd expect about those things to happen. At least once a year, he does extra tests. I also usually have questions, and I've had an eventful few years, healthwise, so I rarely have visits as sedate as the one you mentioned, but a visit or two like that have happened.

But at a first visit, I would expect more than your endo did, because I'd expect her to be trying to get to know your son an his diabetes. Still, I would not object to an endo like that.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My visits are all like that.. They're very relaxing. :p Last time (8 months since my previous visit) it was just the dietician there. I went in, she weighed me, noted down my typical total daily dose and told me my a1C was a little above the clinical guidelines, but great considering some of the stuff that's been going on in my life and my hypo unawareness. I asked her a question about university, and then asked how she'd feel about me trying Apidra. She said she's write to my doctor and ask him to prescribe it for me. It's been over 2 years since anyone helped me to change my doses.. Basically, they get me the blood tests and prescriptions I need and reassure me that I'm doing well, and I like it like that. :)

4. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

If you are happy with your d management, the A1c, your son's health and don't have any questions, I'd say your endo is just fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, kwim? It seems that is how your endo is thinking as well.