- advertisement -

Not fewer payers, but more

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by Lisa P., Oct 28, 2011.

1. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I heard a statistic yesterday -- 86% of all health care costs are paid by someone other than the consumer.

Think about if we paid for our groceries that way -- instead of going to the store and buying groceries, we accepted a lower salary so our employer could pay for grocery insurance to the tune of a thousand or more a month (that's a huge reduction in salary). Then every time we want to buy something, we have to go through a middle man who approves our purchase (or doesn't, and we get to fight about it) and fill out paperwork. What would that do to the cost of groceries?

And if we were in that situation, how much good would it do to then to say (and let's take an extreme example) that we get rid of the middle man we have now and instead of paying grocery premiums and going through grocery insurance we instead pay taxes and go through a government office for our approval?

Here's an article on the subject.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/09/how-american-health-care-killed-my-father/7617/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

You are right in seeing that as a problem. I believe it is one of the major factors driving up health care costs.