- advertisement -

?? Not enough space to rotate Infusion site and CGMS

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StillMamamia, Nov 28, 2014.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Haven't been here for a while, but have a question.

My son is now using a CGMS. Both the infusion site and the CGMS are on his tush. Besides moving the CGMS site to another area of the body, how can we rotate sites enough on such a restricted area (he doesn't have enough body fat elsewhere to rotate the infusion site as well)?

Probably a stupid question, but here it is. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have the same problem. Using only tush area for pump sites for 13 years. We use CGM on back of upper arms. I just try to make sure that place the site on tush on opposite side. As they get old it gives more area to work with, but not much. No fat on stomach either.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thank you. I guess we'll have to move the Cgms to another place. There's really very little space to work with.:frown:

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi Paula!

I would try the CGM on the back of his arms. I know people with very small kids who use that spot, so it should work out okay, especially with the smaller sensor.

5. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Back of the arm pinch and release

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

When K used the Medtronic CGM (ages 3 and 4), we used only the tush for site and sensor. We'd place them on different sides, and at the 3-day mark we moved the infusion set to another site on the same side as before (and the CGM stayed where it was). At the 6-day mark we flipped everything around and repeated the process. It worked fine. He started on the Dexcom at 5-1/2, and we immediately started using the backs of his arms for his sensors. He is a small, scrawny guy, but there is more than enough good real estate on his arms, even without pinching!