- advertisement -

Not eating lunch...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Aug 18, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

My daughter started first grade today, what a long emotional day for me. She did fine. For the first week we decided we would come to the school and test her sugars before snack and at lunch and then she gets out at 1:35 this whole week. My husband got there around 11:53, tested her sugar and she was 114. Nice number, and he left and she was supposed to eat lunch. When I got there at 1:30 I looked in her lunch box and she had eaten nothing except a cheese stick and a couple bites of her sandwich. :eek: I thought for sure she would be low, I tested her and somehow she was 93. She said she didn't eat because she wanted to play.

After school she had a couple snacks and at 5 pm we saw the number I expected to see earlier a 57.

How do you ensure that your kids get a decent amount of food while they are away from you? She's a tiny thing and eating is not her favorite thing anyway. I hate to force my kids to eat, but I guess with D you have too?

2. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I am assuming you bolus before lunch? Is it possible to bolus after, when you know how much she has eaten? I know this raises the issues of spikes but it may be more comforting to have a spike than to bolus and go way too low if she isnt going to eat..Im glad the low came while at home instead of the playground or in class when you were available. Scarey business :(

3. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Yes, if you're not sure how much (or even if) she's going to eat then I'd suggest a post-bolus.

My kids have always had very structured eating and playing times. They couldn't just get up and decide to play instead of eat. Was there not a teacher or supervisor around to ensure the kids were eating? :confused:

4. januaryblue

I guess I should have clarified, she's still honeymooning they say, so we do 1/2 a unit of Novolog for 60 grams of carbs and what I packed for lunch was just under that, so she didn't get a shot, but if she goes long periods of time without eating she still goes low it seems...not sure why? We just started the Novolog last week when she started going in the 300's regularly after eating. At this point I always give her the shot after eating because she usually doesn't eat a lot.

I was curious how everyone encourages their kids to eat when they aren't with you. Especially not big eaters. The other hard thing with school is that some days they are very hungry and other days they aren't. I could see compressing more carbs into smaller things-like a bagel and fruit on days she's not very hungry, but I know the day I do that she'll be super hungry and want more food and then she'll go over her carbs...which I guess is an issue right now becuase it's the first week of school and we met with the principal this AM, but don't have a plan yet. Maybe I should hang out at lunch time for at least this week so I can be prepared to give her a shot if she needs it? Maybe that's the solution?

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Is she on Lantus or some other longacting? If so it may need to be lowered. :cwds: It's either that or she needed a small snack for the running around she did.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Yes it might be that the lantus needs lowering. Whenever my dd started school after a holiday - they seem to burn so much energy she needed much less basal. I do remember that the small children at school were always made to show the teacher their empty lunch box. You could quietly say to the teacher that she should eat at least her sandwich (for instance). This happened right up until year 7 for all the children, because children forget to eat and some children, especially girls, sometimes bow to peer pressure and remember to not eat! Not just children with D!;) In the meantime - you wouldn't be the first mum to pop in to do insulin and checks every day. I did the first year in our new school - and my dd was older - about 8. You have to do what you have to do!:D

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I agree, sounds like her Lantus is too high. Does she drop overnight?

8. Denise

Denise Approved members

I work in our school's cafeteria. What your child is eating is NOT unusual. The kids spent a LOT of time chatting with their friends at lunch and little time eating. If you could see the amount of food thrown away by children, you'd be horrified. Entire apples, bananas, sandwiches, etc. We get parents who are shocked we don't force kids to take both a veggie and a fruit but the kids rarely eat whatever they take. They are required by state to have three groups on their lunch tray. So, if we have a hamburger and they take a milk..that's three food groups! Shocking eh? Part of me thinks the kids don't eat as much (at least at our school) is b/c they get an afternoon snacks and they know they'll get more later. :rolleyes:

So what I'm trying to say is that the amount of food your daughter is eating, is typical for a child her age...at least from what I see.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. It's typical for a lot of kids to not eat much at school. They're nervous/talking/distracted, and don't get a ton of time to eat. My son is typically a BIG eater, and I learned to pack a lunch about half as big as he would eat at home for his lunch at school.

The 5pm number isn't from her not eating lunch. Lunch would be digested by that point. If you see a pattern of her going low around that time, give her a small uncovered snack when she gets home from school.

10. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Last year when my oldest (non-d) was in kindergarten, he'd regularly come home with most of his lunch uneaten. He preferred to run around and play rather than sit and eat. This year he'll have a longer day so we'll see what happens. Maybe you can throw in some smaller snack size foods into your dd's lunch like grapes or a box of raisins. I'm trying to come up with ideas for my kid, too. :)

11. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

Hi Elizabeth,

My ds does the same thing. He's in 6th grade and, I'm finally figuring he's not going to change so I can either keep trying to lower the river or I can get over it and raise the bridge, so to speak.

I've been lowering and lowering the amount of lunch time carbs I'm having him bolus for. Right now, we're at 60% of his lunch - that's what I plan for. The district nurse says most kids are 75% before lunch and, if they happen to eat more, they go into the nurse's office and do more.

I guess I'm just tired of fighting it. He'll eat better when he gets older, right?
    :eek:

School is fun, huh?

Sally

12. januaryblue

Thanks everyone.

They upped her Lantus last week to 2 units in the AM and 1 unit in the evening because she was going in the 300's most afternoons after eating...but it does seem some days she goes low. I am in contact with her endo about her numbers weekly still as we're new to all this, and I'll ask if maybe we should drop it a bit.

It's hard having any of our kids out of sight and out of our control for extended periods of time and D makes it that much harder I guess. My oldest suffers from anxiety and panic attacks and I feel the same way about her.

Samantha ended up waking me up last night at 3:30am complaining of a bad headache and she had a fever too, so she's home today.

13. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I can relate on the food part. At home Kyle has no problems finishing 2 turkey sandwiches, an apple or some cheetos, a cpl of cookies and a big glass of milk for lunch. Big eater right? At school he wants a sandwich. That's it. Not even a drink...ok he has a water bottle with him all day but sheesh. I went through the same thing in the beginning, trying to give him what I thought he should have vs what he was actually willing to eat. All he wants to do is eat fast so he can play with the rest of the time. I like the idea of bolusing after, if you can manage that.

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Was that before school started? The regular exercise she's getting now will make her need less insulin:cwds: I would definitely ask about lowering her Lantus:cwds:

15. januaryblue

The doctor replied to the logs I sent in this week and she said to do it to one unit in the morning, and since she went to 57 again today around 4:45 I think I'll definately be lowering it back to 1 unit.

Thanks. :)