- advertisement -

Not allowed to test my son at school without health staff???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bisous

bisous Approved members

The good news is that I have a new 504 in place and I ultimately feel like DS is safe at school. Yeah, they're testing him with a cart (ridiculous beyond measure but I figure they're the ones that look like fools, lol).

In order to get that, I played a two and half month game with the school district. For over a month, I went to the school at least two times a day to do blood glucose tests.

Well, now I don't have to. And according to the Director of Special Services in our new district, I actually CAN'T. Not without a staff member present.

So, I have never heard this before and think it is absolutely ridiculous. They state that their liability insurance won't cover "performing a health procedure" without supervision from their staff. Again, this goes to the fundamental lack of understanding of how blood glucose testing works. Ridiculous.

I'm not in a fighting move. I got what I really wanted. But I don't like this provision.

Ever heard of it? WWYD? I see this as a potential trouble spot at say, the jog-a-thon or a class party.

TIA,

Jen

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What state are you in?

And that's nuts. I'm so sorry you are having to waste time and energy on such rubbish. :(

3. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Thanks for giving an update. I was thinking of you the other day. Hurray for the 504.

I've never heard of this. Wow. I'm so, so, so sorry.

I would probably go all the way to the bitter end with them-but that is just me. I just don't understand their point of view or motivation.

So do they test him in the classroom or the hall with the cart?

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

It's in our 504 that I can test him anywhere/anytime. I don't often test him myself at school but I do if there is a party and I'm helping in the classroom - stuff like that.

You MUST ask to see the policy in writing. Otherwise it doesn't exist. Much of the time just asking to see something in writing is enough to make them realize they don't have a policy.

Then you need an official definition for a "health procedure." Can a teacher give a kid a band-aid? Can a child remove a splinter from their finger?

My guess is that they cannot apply the same rules to you as they apply to the children regarding oversight. However even IF they do have this rule and it does apply to the children - then a child would never be able to self-test or self-treat a high or low - even a high schooler - while in school unless the health staff are called.

I'd just start by asking to see all of it in writing - official policy in writing please.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

How utterly ridiculous!!! I honestly don't know what to say anymore about this school district. I'm speechless.... :eek:

6. bisous

bisous Approved members

We're in California.

Yeah, they're testing him in the hallway right outside his door. I was really upset about the cart when I heard about it (still don't love it) but when I saw the nurse lugging that thing up the hall (it has four swivel wheels--it's a beast!) and doing her thing it just made me laugh. DS didn't care and if they want to go to all that trouble I figure they can knock themselves out. I did officially note on the 504 that I oppose the cart and if they so choose I do not require its use. :rolleyes:

Carol, I will ask to see that policy in writing. It is really silly, isn't it? They acknowledge that he CAN test himself in the classroom and that a nurse can do it, but I can't. I asked them to provide a scenario when oversight is necessary and they really couldn't.

Asking for it in writing is a good step. I'll start with that.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

OK, now that's just downright petty on their behalf. I think they're just annoyed that you started the ball rolling on all of this and they're trying to "punish" you.

I can't help but chuckle picturing the nurse rolling the cart down the hall. :D

8. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I'm so sorry they are being so difficult with you!! How frustrating; hope you can get to the bottom of this!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, so CA is a pain in the a$$ with their legal snarl - I suppose you care caught in the crossfire.

There has been a lot of chatter here about getting ADA advocates to attend 504 meetings to help set schools straight, and in most cases it seemed to me to be overkill but in your situation I think it's unquestionably warranted.

Honestly, if it were my child, I'd just test them and let the school try and stop me. But I appreciate that that could stress your son out, especially if they did, in fact try and stop you. At a minimum I would refuse to submit to their request until they had produced the hard copy of the "regulation", not their "policy" but a regulation signed by the school's superintendent.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how doing a BG test is a "Health procedure":confused: Would be cleaning a cut and putting on a bandaid also be a "health procedure" ? In my son's schools the teachers do that in the classroom. I have often tested my son's BG when the nurse wasnt in the office, several times it happened at afterschool activities when she was gone.

Are you supposed to go grab a teacher or the janitor and tell them to come watch you test your son? I have to wonder if the administration honestly doesnt see how silly this all sounds.

I would need to see the policy and where it specifically states that BG testing is a "health procedure"

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Sorry, but I'd just do my thing with or without permission. It puts you in a dificult spot though b/c you fight for a 504 and then violate it yourself--they'll scream about the double standard, so if it came to it I'd like to see it in writing. And not just they wrote it down, but the actual legal writing.

And if I had to give my kid an advil or epipen or perform an appendectomy on school property, I'd do that do! :D Where ever she is, she's still MY child.

12. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this.

First, if you're with your son and feel he needs to be tested to rule out a low BG, or for treatment purposes, it is illegal for them to prevent you from doing that. If it ever arises, test and treat, then deal with them later. You would have a winning case for a law suit.

Second, regarding the parent advocates through the ADA Safe at School program. I've attended the training to become an advocate and the Safe at school program for parents (it's required when you use this service), they actually state that they wish parents would turn to them for help at the first sign of misunderstanding (read earlier) so that they can help prevent a contentious relationship from developing. The goal of the program is to help build a cooperative, cohesive team approach where school, parents, and students act as partners in care. That said, they are invaluable once it does become contentious. Were you ever able to get in touch with anyone?

I'm glad you have the 504 for now, and that he's not minding the cart and being tested outside his classroom, but I wouldn't give up - I can see it becoming an issue as he gets older. The nice thing about that is you have some time and can continue to work on it without being in a fighting mood - just a proactive one.

I really can't believe how long it took to get what you do have, and am glad you posted an update. I've been thinking about you guys and wondering how it's going.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Personally, I'd test my son at school every opportunity that I got, and if they tried to stop me, I'd call the police and have them arrested for battery.

Nonsense. They can't stop you.

14. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Not only would I get it in writing, but I would request to see a list of qualifications of the staff who can test him. Along with that I would get who is the qualified person for after school events like parent teacher events.

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

What a bunch of bs! Grrrr!

I don't get the cart thing. What's up with that? How heavy are testing supplies anyway? Does anyone here carry their testing supplies and tabs and stuff on a 4-wheelie when they go out?.....*crickets*.....yeah, didn't think so. How lazy is the nurse that the supplies can't be carried in a discreet bag? What's the point of that, really? Will the supplies, if carried in a bag, suddenly get an urge to go and poke her?:rolleyes:

Anyway, that's my rant about the cart. About not being able to test without health personnel present...like others say, get that doozy in writing. When your kid needs to be tested, your kid needs to be tested, end of story.

Good luck. This is all mind-boggling.

16. bisous

bisous Approved members

I agree with you all it is ridiculous. I was so happy that DS is finally safe at school that I didn't realize how much this new "provision" bugged me until I got home. I was annoyed with it, but my mom (1st grade public school teacher) is very concerned that they could use it to get me in trouble or penalize my son.

It is so frustrating to think of the possible ramifications of "an unsupervised blood glucose test" versus not testing a child with Type 1 Diabetes. Obviously if he looks low or "off" I will test him without blinking an eye. I'd like to have this officially "fixed" though.

I'm going to call the ADA before they close today.

Thanks!

17. sooz

sooz Approved members

I think that is wise. They are so rigid that if they saw you violating that rule (which I would do in a heartbeat as would you) that they could possibly ban you from the campus or something. If ever there were a case for the ADA this is it.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm sorry that the school is wasting your time making you jump through hoops for something so simple. I have to say that this "rule" is totally absurd! I wonder how long the nurse is going to put up with hauling that cart down the hall before she wants to chuck it out the window?

With rules like this, and the time spent trying to fight you, it doesn't surprise me that CA is in such financial turmoil!

19. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

This is exactly what I would do. Total BS.

20. Noel

Noel Approved members

Jen,

First I am sorry that you are going through this, it is crazy. I just wanted to say that a 504 plan is a living document meaning that you have the right to change it whenever it is necessary, if they have something in there that you don't like, make them change it.

Absolutely agree with the others, you want to see this policy in writing.