- advertisement -

Not allowed to go on class field trip

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kristine, May 18, 2009.

1. alismom

alismom Approved members

Our district tried this last year. After speaking with the assistant superintendent and explaining the legal implications, they hired an EMT to go on the trip.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm also in Virginia and this is what our school nurse does as well.

3. jscat

jscat Approved members

The same thing happened to my son last week, and we don't have the protection or option of a 504 where I am from. Sadly he never went at all because, even though I am a SAHM, my girls couldn't go, dh tried to take the day off but they were to busy and we only had a day's notice. We simply planned an awesome outing to the same facility this past weekend and all three of my kids had a ball. It is really sad and completely unfair when kids are left out of something because they have diabetes.

4. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

What really stinks is having to adopt an adversarial relationship with the school.

Our school nurse went on DS's first field trip after dx; since then has always said she can't. I tried to get them to hire a sub for the next couple - no joy.

I've gone on all field trips since, and on many many levels it's a blessing in disguise. It's great spending more time with my son and getting to know the other kids better. Also great spending quality time with his teachers.

If the nurse went I'd be worried anyway.

I'm planning to do a 504 next year as practice for middle school the following year. I think it'll be more important there. And I want them to see that he's had a 504 prior, so that I can avoid the perception that I expect problems.

This post has provided one more element for our 504.

Thanks.

5. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

The school did break the law, and they know it. Unfortunately without a 504 plan you have little recourse. A 504 plan is different from a health care plan because it ensures, legally, that the school agrees to certain accomodations to not discriminate. It has nothing to do with special education, however it does bring with it a label of "disabled" with it. "504" is the section of the ADA which protects against discrimination and provides accommodation for said disabilities. Having D makes one eligible for said plan, without any other issues or qualifiers. They can not deny a D student a 504, period.

Definitely get the process in motion ASAP! It can take a while, so even if one is not in place this year it will be for next year.

6. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i dont understand why they cant let you go with them, our nurse will go if no one of us can go. but we are allowed to go. and we get a spot on the bus. perhaps they just let you drive with your child there. so your child does not miss out on it.

7. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

We have both a care plan and a 504. Before they did the 504 they did do a screening for an IEP. I put it in Aaron's 504 plan that I would first get the option of going on field trips. If I can't go then the nurse will. If the nurse is out the school secretary, principal, and bookkeeper are all trained to handle his care. Our county school policy requires at least two people from the school to be trained. Maybe you should check at the county level to see what is required of the schools in your district.

8. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

In the same boat AND we already have a 504 plan in place. Lot of good that did - I have to fight our troll of a principal for everything. I was also told he couldn't go without me, so I simply informed them I'd be bringing his sister along too.

It's not fair - and so many schools force you to fight with them. All I want to do is get along and hve them do what they agreed to!!

9. skimom

skimom Approved members

Here the policy of the school board is that the school must do what ever to ensure that every child is given a chance to participate in all activities - whether it is supplying financial resources, human resources or what ever. My son was into outdoor ed and was to go away for a week back country camping and I was assured that they would provide as many trained personnel etc required so that he could go. - and they did !
    We aren't asking for special treatment for our kids - we are asking for equal treatment!Seems to be this is a human rights issue...

10. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

IEP's (Individual Education Plans) are designed for students with additional learning needs and are covered under IDEA legislation (academic-oriented). This is commonly referred to as exceptional student education or "special ed".

I found this quote online:
    "The 504 in "504 plan" refers to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, which specifies that no one with a disability can be excluded from participating in federally funded programs or activities, including elementary, secondary or postsecondary schooling. "Disability" in this context refers to a "physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities."

A 504 plan does not constitute a label of "special ed". There may be children who have both IEP's and 504's but they cover different goals.

If the school gives you any resistance, there are advocates out there who will surely step in to help. Try to enjoy the day with your son tomorrow and then try to get a meeting set up with the school before any grass grows.

11. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

Sorry. I got so upset after reading the initial posts that I just jumped in with a response without going all the way through. It looks like the info I gave has already be addressed. Oops.:eek:

12. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

If it is a public school then they are most likely in violation of the law. Doesn't mean they know that.

ADA is a great place to start.

13. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

Fight for your student (with love of course)

I had to comment on this. I am both a registered dietitian and a licensed special education teacher (currently practicing). I am also a t1. Your child ABSOLUTELY has the right by law to go on a school sponsored trip with the school taking care of needs as protected by law. If there isn't a 504 in place then that's how they're skirting around the issue. But that's just bad educational practice honestly. As an educator, I am sorry that you are receiving such poor care for your son. Please know that there are many districts out there who take a pro-active approach to 504 plans...and by that I mean that if a child gets dx and the office finds out via parent call or whatnot, they will inform them right then and set up a meeting time to get the plan in place. Shame on a district that doesn't try to help. Yes, it's the parents who should initiate, but positive education is when both the school and parents are pro-active together for the child's best interest. Don't worry about your son being labled SPED. 504 plans are often cared for my SPED dept designees b/c of paperwork involved. There are multiple other medical situations which require 504 plans such as Tourrette's, seizures, etc.

14. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Im glad you can go with your son afterall..(I know its hard with work!!) sounds like you work for a good boss who is letting you take off...Yes..you get that 504 in place..so they cannot do this to you again..at the last minute no less!! Makes me so mad they could think this is "ok" to leave out your child...and they knew they could get away with it because of no 504..I dare them to try this once you get it in place..
    Have fun and enjoy your day with your child.

15. alismom

alismom Approved members

I would not let your child miss this trip, so go with the class if possible.

Having said that, it is illegal to discriminate (with or without a 504) based on a health issue. If this is a public school, there are many avenues you can explore.

This happened with us last year, when they denied my daughter access to a field trip. It was a day trip to NY City. The nurse didn't want to go and the chaperone told me "she didn't feel comfortable" taking Allison. We called the superintendent and explained the legal discrimination issue. We told them they could work it out with us or an attorney. The district contacted their attorney and decided to "settle". They hired an EMT to go on the trip.

Never give up in advocating for your child.

16. linda

linda Approved members

Hi- I admit I did not read other posts. Over the years even though we have the 504 I still chose to go on all trips with Em. I understand it is hard for working parents, luckily we own own business and I can move schedule around (still have some conflicts and issues with non D son)....There were times that the school offered a "paid nurse" to be on trips... however they admitted no training with er shot,pump, insulin etc. and also were expected to be on hand for all other kids with allergies, asthma, medications and couldn't have possibly given attention to em that she needed (including going into locked hotel rooms at 3:00 am and treating lows!!!!!) I always felt good for Em being secure I was there and able to have a good time.:cwds:

17. linda

linda Approved members

You can see that besides the "legalities" of 504...it takes human caring and compassion as well. We never had a shortage of this...(with a new uneducated principal, we were able to get some help filling him in and were accomodated according rahter quickly)...:eek:

18. Frankiesmom

Frankiesmom Approved members

If he is enrolled in a public school that accepts funding from the state or federal government they can not discriminate against his condition. He is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act and I would fight this one aggressively. Private schools that do not accept this type of funding are not held to the same standard.