- advertisement -

Non-profit to support diabetes training and awareness

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Our3girls, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

Ok so I am on a mission- really!!
    I have really felt called to do missions, however I will not be able to do anything like traveling missions for a while with little ones and my current job. My heart has always been for the less fortunate like foster kids and the homeless. Since dx I have really enjoyed talking and bringing awareness to D. So I have been praying about it and I was challenged to really think about what I want to do and what I am passionate about a few months ago. Anyways long, mushy story :D, short I want to do a home mission. I want to create an organization that offers training, awareness and medical needs, to all, including the low income, homeless and our foster system with D. I have talked to a few people and it is really taking off- like spin my head around take off. I am really excited but want to take it slow and make sure I move forward in the most beneficial ways.
    I have a great friend that works at the homeless shelter and has a family history of D that wants to work with me, I have contacts at our County programs (Human Services and Public Health) that want to talk and I am in contact with our pastor over missions but just initial convo so far there.

So I am curious if anyone has knowledge of an organization like I am looking at starting, I would appreciate hearing anything that would help me.

I would also like to hear what services you would like to see offered for those with D and how it would help you. Including those you wish JDRF would offer but are not really their mission.

Also, and of course most importantly :D I need help with a name. I have several suggestions from Diabetes- Dictators, warriors, heros, infantry, connects, crusaders as well as Mission type 1, operation type 1, project type 1. I like all of them, but I am just not sold on any of them.

I plan to still support JDRF as they are primarely tring to find a cure but I am targeting how to beof benefit in the now.

Thanks so much for your input I really look forward to it!!

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh gosh, I have always thought so much about these children with type 1 who, for whatever reason, end up in foster care or in homeless shelters. My heart breaks that no one is giving them the love and attention they need nor is there anyone to educate the families. So while I don't have any first hand experience, I think you've hit on a great need. However, there is the CASA organization which supports children in the legal system and maybe that could be a model for you - where you speak for and on behalf of the child with type 1, you might be the only one who does.

3. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

Foster Kids with T1D-Let's Help 'Em!!!

Oh! My heart was racing with excitement when I saw your post! Last year, I founded the Cyndie Parks Memorial Home for Girls. We are a 501 C 3 organization in existence specifically to help kids in need with T1D!!! We are working for grant funding to open a living facility and transition home for these teens! Our #1 interim 2011 goal is to have 2 new foster homes in Arkansas who are specifically designated to help diabetic kids. Our #2 interim goal is to have a 24/7/365 help line for foster parents caring for diabetics. Please visit www.diabeteshomeforgirls.com to find out more about our efforts. I would love to visit with you more about your vision. Feel free to email me at eaylor@yahoo.com or administrator@diabeteshomeforgirls.com.:D

4. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

Awe Erin, I looked at your website and I emailed you. I have a friend here at work that has a group home and I just spoke to him. His wife also works at a daycare that serves autistic and other "medically fragile" such as MS that have restricted mobility. I am going to meet with them to discuss a type 1 home here. I am so excited. I emailed you my phone number. Look forward to hearing from you!!! Our county, which is really large, has about 300 foster kids with diabetes 1 & 2, not sure how many type 1. My husband and I could hardly sleep lastnight thinking about everything we could do to reach the type 1 community.