advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non Prescription Insulin in Case of Emergencies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SallyG, Sep 15, 2017.

1. SallyG

SallyG New Member

FYI just thought I would share some info i learned the hard way. Recently We went away to a soccer tournament and realized we had forgotten to pack the novolog insulin vials for my 14 yr old whos on the medtronics 670 pump. We have a college T1 too. Luckily we were able to call our insurance and get an override prescription refill, our plan allows for 1 vacation refill (otherwise one vial out of pocket is over $350). Our endo called in a prescription to a local pharmacy.

Anyway in researching online found out in most states you can actually buy Walmart ReliOn insulin over the counter without a prescription, it's $25 a vial. According to what I read it is a 'older' brand of insulin but still works basically the same with slower peak times. While its not a perfect substitute for Novolog or a long term solution in an emergency its an option.

mmgirls likes this.