- advertisement -

Non invasive monitor cleared for sale in Europe!

Discussion in 'Research' started by carbz, Nov 6, 2012.

1. carbz

carbz Banned

2. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Any idea of the price of this?

I wonder if you can wear it anywhere else but the stomach?

4. pdx_dc

pdx_dc Approved members

costs 4k

Thank you for sharing carbz

5. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

In the FAQ's it says the price is $4000.00. (but what currency?)

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

So it is hard for me to sort this out. It is approved in Europe but you do not need a prescription for it but they say you need a Europe address to pre order? I it is non prescription why can they not sell anywhere? Any way as I am now in the process of buying a new receiver for my MM Sensor system-I pay everything out of pocket for sensors so this (C8) sounds OK if it lasts more than a few years, then I am tempted to wait and buy this device-plus I hate stabbing myself on top of my pump sites every week(yes I have to change my sensor every 6 days). Is it clear to anyone if this is considered non prescription in Europe? Thanks for any thoughts. Ali

7. selketine

Thanks for finding that. 4000 euros would be over 5000 dollars so it is expensive no matter what - wow! It doesn't require a steady stream of sensors to be bought and replaced so I guess that is driving the cost.

Hopefully someone will chime in as to the availability without a prescription. So could you just have it mailed to a friend's house in Europe then?

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If you already have a phone that works with it, then this would be cheaper than any other CGM because it has a one time cost of $4000 and is then expected to last a minimum of 4 years.

But currently you can't order one, only "reserve" one.

9. carbz

carbz Banned

At that price it should last a lifetime IMO. It's great that something like this is finally available but being right now there is no competition it seems like they are somewhat gouging so I have somewhat mixed feelings about pursuing one. There is another company using a similar technology I think but its a meter not a monitor. It was noted that the anticipated commercialized price would be around $600 to $800 dollars.

10. karri

karri Approved members

In Europe, you dont need prescription to buy medical devices (insulin pump, cgm etc).

11. Deal

Deal Approved members

Has the company loaned/given one of these devices to anyone with type 1 and allowed them to blog about it or is everyone pre-ordering one going on what the company is telling them it will do?

12. selketine

I thought it was crazy expensive too until I realized you don't have to buy sensors - which can be $200-300 a month. If you pay OOP you might come out better with this device if the warranty is good and it lasts for 14 months or so.

Of course the big question is how well it works. We don't need a $4000 glucowatch! Anyone in Europe or access to there planning on getting one?

13. JoeC

JoeC Approved members

clarke error grid

where is there a study showing a Clarke Error Grid for this device?

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

Yes, I pay out of pocket and for me it would be less expensive within two years. Well dang the prescription issue as that means who knows how long till available in the US. But maybe by then if it as good as it looks it will be on its second or third generation and smaller, better and able to work with tons of phones. I love the non invasive part and being able to easily remove and put back on. Hoping we see some good blogs about it within 6 months. :)ali

15. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Unfortunately its for ages over 18 - bummer!

16. karri

karri Approved members

Well, so is dexcom aswell;)

Anyway, havent seen any clinical trial data about this(=Well the sad story in Europe is that the clinical trial register is not for public). Somebody should do a review comparing this to dex gen4/medtronic enlite.

17. carbz

carbz Banned

Interesting how the company suggests the unit is not intended as a replacement for finger pricks. I don't get it. The only point in a glucose meter is to give an accurate reading. If its not accurate what good is it? And if it is accurate why in the hell would anyone still polk their fingers to death when they could just use this CGM that is non invasive?

18. selketine

I think all the cgms companies say it isn't fingerstick replacement - but that doesn't mean it isn't accurate. To be able to claim fingerstick replacement I think they'd have to meet a much higher standard to be approved (at least in the USA).

19. carbz

carbz Banned

The reality is even the traditional meters can get screwy but I wouldn't even consider a non invasive option unless you could use it in replace of a traditional meter. I am not an avid tester anyway. I try to get by with as little as possible. Still I find it downright ludicrous that a meter needs FDA approval.

20. Ali

Ali Approved members

Carz
    Testing is critical, no matter what you do. To be blunt if you are not testing upon wakening, before breakfast, before lunch, before dinner, before bedtime, before and after exercise, and two hours after eating if that is not when a before meal or exercise test occurs then you can not really be controlling your BG. Any change in stress, exercise,hormones,insulin injection or site placement, food types or general calorie consumption impacts your "normal" patterns, which means for most of us stuff changes daily. It is just a sad fact that for most people to keep your BG at an A1c of 7 you need to test least this much. For me to get to 7 also meant having to go on a pump and test at least 10 times a day every day for the rest of my life. I got down to the sixes only after going on a CGMS. I am very strict in my care, I eat very, very low carb,(13 carbs a meal, once in a blue mood 20 carbs), never eat if high, correct while trying to not over correct, do all the right stuff and still need to do all this testing and other stuff even 40 years after first being diagnosed. It just is not easy for many T1. Which I just had to except as a reality many years ago and have since worked on making it as easy for me as possible on a day to day basis by using a pump, lots of testing, a low carb diet, and a CGMS. :cwds::cwds::pali