- advertisement -

non D son wakes from naps/bedtime with body shakes...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mandapanda1980, May 6, 2012.

1. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

I cant say that he wakes like this with every nap/sleep. But for example right now he woke from about an hour nap...and his body shakes, his arms alot. Not as violent as a seizure, just very shaky, almost like somebody with parkinsons(spelling) disease. tremers may be a better word choice. I am not sure what to think of it. It lasts for maybe 5 or 10 minutes then goes away. I do plan to call the doctor tomorrow morning to get him in, but I was wondering if anybody here has experienced this or any ideas as to what it may be???

thanks!! :)

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Best wishes with this. I hope this is some weird anomaly that some people experience with no ill effects rather than something harmful.

3. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

My youngest son did this. He is almost 2 1/2 and I'm not sure when it stopped...I do know he was still doing it when he turned 2 because I talked to his pediatrician about it (again). Each time I talked to her about it (over many months) She assured me it was an immature nervous system, and that while most children outgrow the shakiness much sooner than my son, she believed he would out grow it soon. And he has. :)

She asked me if the shakiness only occurred right after waking. That seemed to be her greatest concern and since it was only happening after waking up, she said it was normal. I hope your child's doctor can ease your mind too.

4. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

One thing it could possibly be too is an electrolyte imbalance, that can sometimes cause shakyness

5. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My daughter has tremors. The dr. Said it is an "essential" tremor. My daughter will tremor upon waking and when she is starting to get tired. In her case, she tremors in her arms and hands. It can be genetic. My grandmother has a tremor in her hands so I kind of knew what it was when we first started noticing it. It is not dangerous at all though.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Out of curiosity I think I'd check just before and just after waking to see if there's any hypoglycemia (natural, not injected insulin induced, of course). I've known of kids who can be in the 60s, nondiabetic, and my nondiabetic daughter registered (probably erroneously) in the 40s on the CGM when she was having a different medical problem (related to salts and electrolytes, curiously). You could look at POTS, too, although I've never heard of shaking, I tend to suggest POTS for every thread! :rolleyes::p

7. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

The last time it happened I checked his bg, but it was about 45 min after waking(dd wasnt to my mil's house yet, with her kit) and he was 88. but it has definately crossed my mind and I will probably check next time as well.

Thanks for all suggestions/replies. I have an appt set up tmrw with his doctor, so I will mention these things. :)

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I don't want to scare you but my dd had this happen several times a few months before her D diagnosis.

Though in her case it wasn't upon waking but during the night, usually a few hours after going to bed. She would be kind of out of it for 10-15 minutes and then slowly wake up and ask for food. I took her to the doctor after thinking they looked like what I imagined a mild seizure would look like. They did some tests and nothing came up. This was 4-6 months before diagnosis. Then they just stopped and we were told to bring her back if they started again and they never did.

I've *heard* that sometimes early on the pancreas can vary between producing not enough insulin and too much causing hypoglycemia. Not sure how true that is or what my dd's issues were. But except for those two months it hasn't happened in the six plus years since.

Good luck.