- advertisement -

Non-D dd has strep...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mph, Jun 1, 2011.

1. mph

mph Approved members

would it be prudent to give Nick antibiotics as a precaution?

Does strep cause any more problems for children with D than those without D?

FWIW.......(sorry, I should have added this last night.....it was late and I was too tired to type much...)
    he has a sore throat
    his bg has been unusually high (no ketones right now) for days
    he has had antibiotics no more than 2x in his entire life
    I have no vehicle today to take him in
    dd has a "coughing/sneezing" virus on top of strep (more likely to spread the strep)
    doctor said to call if the others had symptoms and she would call in meds (she KNOWS we do not do antibiotics lightly)

Had I known she actually HAD strep when I took her in, I would have taken my other dc and had them tested to know for sure... We have not dealt with strep for 10 years.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

All kinds of infection can mess with blood sugars.

I think the answer to whether or not he should take antibiotics is better answered by his doctor. If it was me, I wouldn't; one of my brothers gets strep about every other year and I haven't caught it even once. Also, I feel pretty confident that I could handle the blood sugars if it did happen. And taking antibiotics can contribute to drug-resistant strep, as well as causing gastrointestinal symptoms (diarrhea, mostly).

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

I agree with Jonah. I think you would have a difficult time getting your doctor to order an antibiotic as a precaution anyway with all of the drug resistant bacteria problems.

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I personally would not give antibiotics unless he gets it. Instead I would get some Lysol and some hand sanitizer. Seth had strep for 5 months without others getting it. I am the Lysol queen LOL

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

To answer your questions:

No and No

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have one child who tends to get strep about 2x's a year, and one who doesn't.

6. CButler

CButler Approved members

Elizabeth had strep a few weeks ago and it raised her blood sugar numbers some but not dramatically.( some numbers in 200's a few days)
    It didn't take long at all for her to get back to normal. I got it from her about a week later.: Be careful-it is highly contagious.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven one year got strep 3 times in 4 months:( The last time he got it it developed into scarlet fever and he was very sick with vomiting, high fever and the rash. I foolishly listened to the nurse at the doctors office when she told me that if Tylenol made the pain go away there was no way it could be strep:rolleyes: Usually you can see the white patches on the back of the throat and it will be very red and puffy and the sore throat usually gets very uncomfortable within a day.

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my oldest dd had strep a few months ago.. the girls pedi DID give K a prescription and treated her (she wasn't at the appointment with me, so he didn't do a strep test) because it usually goes through a whole household.. she was complaining of a sore throat at the time, but no fever.. and we were having difficulties with her bg, so he felt it was best to treat her..

9. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

This is the way they used to deal with strep all the time, just treat everyone in the household. I'm very impressed by your ped for giving you the option, I think that's wonderful.

The reason, I was told, that strep is treated in this manner and other bacterial common mild illnesses aren't is because in rare cases it can spread to the heart? I'm not saying that to scare you into thinking it will, I'm saying that strep in itself I believe is not necessarily any harder on a kid than any of the other many bugs that can cause pain, fever, etc. If he's handled colds and other common ailments, he probably will be fine with strep.

I would personally have it on hand so that if he starts to hurt too much you can start him on it. Strep can turn really painful, and the antibiotic will take about a day? to start working.

If he's got a sore throat and his sister has strep, I'd give it 99% chance he's got strep too. Many people get strep over and over and never or hardly even feel it, I think generally when people think it went through a classroom but their kid didn't get it, that sort of thing, their kid did pick it up but fought it on his own. We run into the bug so often that most of us eventually develop our own way to fight it. I got this impression after a friend of mine found that her son had been carrying it with no symptoms.

I probably wouldn't give antibiotic unless I thought there'd be too much pain, I'd likely wait and see if he fights it off on his own before it much bugs him. But I wouldn't hesitate to give it if it seemed helpful. I only worry about the GI issues and absorption, I don't worry about developing a new strain.

Hope all feel better soon.

10. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I would try to get him tested and then treat. Other signs of strep throat are fever, headache and abdominal upset. You can also get a fine rash that has a sand paper feel. If he does have strep it needs to be treated but I would prefer to test first if it were me. They can do a "rapid strep" quickly in the office and if it is positive they can treat him and if negative they usually send in a back up culture in case of a false negative.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

When I get strep, I don't show the usual symptoms but just a feeling of mild naausea that won't stop. The first time it happened I went to the doctor and asked them to take a culture for strep and the quick test came up negative but then they called the two days later and said they were so shocked when the test that takes a couple of days to come back was positive. Fortunately they had given me a prescription for antibiotics when I went in the first time.
    Because of this I think it is a good idea to be tested as a precaution. But I am speaking from my experience as a person with a weird body.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Untreated strep turns into Scarlet Fever, which can cause lots of problems including damaging the heart. Strep is also one of those things you can get over and over again, so by treating all kids at once hopefully it doesn't continue to circulate.

13. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

My non d just started running a fever several days ago with diarrhea. My kids rarely get sick and non d is the only that has since DD was diagnosed. I'm a germ FREAK!! I put non d basically in isolation! I had her stay in the master on an air mattress and made sure she stayed in there and other kiddos stayed out! Lysol wiped everything down, light switches, door handles, remotes, everything! I do this every time she has gotten sick and it has never spread to anyone else in the family. If she has already been exposed, not much you can do. Definitely wouldn't recommend prophylactic antibiotics d/t bacterial resistance like others have mentioned.

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I believe bacterial resistance is a population issue rather than an individual one, as the likelihood of you being the person a new resistant strain develops in is pretty astronomical. (Although I believe if you were already carrying a resistant strain you might do harm by killing off the non-resistent ones and giving the resistant strain a competitive edge). Good to be socially responsible, but I believe as individuals we are far, far more likely to contract a resistant bug that already exists during a hospital visit or be sickened with a new bug like the e coli out in Europe, which seems to me likely to be developed because of our practices of feedlotting cattle for beef production.

I used to do the whole germ isolation freakout but for my family (and families will vary in large part based on ages of the kids) it almost never worked, the more virulent illnesses tend to be contagious before symptoms show so I just wound up giving myself an extra burden. We have varying degrees of immune system strength here so when an illness hits the house it's common for one child to get it hard, one to get it mild or just have it show up in bg #s, one to never show signs at all, and my husband to be bed-ridden and moaning for seven days. :p

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My older son had strep a few months ago, and Daniel never got it. I am far from a germaphobe or into the isolation thing. I figure, by the time I know one of my kids is sick, Daniel has already been exposed to it for days. Unless you do put them in a bubble, which I just can't see going to that extreme, it is next to impossible to keep them from one another's germs. Once I see an illness, I do ask them to refrain from touching, kissing, wrestling, etc...but the "barn door" is already open by then! Plus, think about school...except for diligent hand washing...that place is a germ paradise!:p

I too wondered about the prophylactic antibiotic, but took a wait and see attitude instead. He was fine. I've had plenty of instances where one of my kids got strep or something else contagious, and the others were fine...so I don't think the chance is anywhere near 99%...at least not in our house.;)

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Just to be clear, what I was saying was if a sister has had confirmed strep for several days and the brother now has a sore throat, I think probably it's strep. Now, it's possible that they both had some other virus or bacteria that caused the sore throat and that the strep in the daughter was secondary and the son hadn't caught it. But if it quacks like a duck, I'm thinking he already had strep. I'd probably not have given him the antibiiotic unless it became clear he wasn't fighting it on his own, I think since you run into strep so much it's good if you can train your own immune system to fight it and then lots of times you can catch it and have no symptoms at all. But if a kid is in pain, I see no reason to get a strep test or have a doctor's visit before giving antibiotics under those circumstances. :cwds:

I talked to a nurse once and really pushed her on when folks are and aren't contagious. She finally broke down (in tears -- just kidding) and fessed up that we are always carrying some virus or another, usually several. It's just we fight and win against them before they ever show as clear symptoms. If we reach the point where we have symptoms, we have a higher viral or bacterial load and it's easier to spread it to others.

So I do like you do and limit hugging and dish sharing, etc. during an illness. My thinking before was to stop contact, but I've learned that so many illnesses are spread before you even know they are there. My new strategy is to allow contact, but keep it non-oogy, so that the other kids are exposed to a few viruses and can fight them, instead of exposed to a whole sneeze-ful right on their breakfast plates! It's working fairly well for us so far.

As for school contact, we do avoid going to classes or activities with interaction when we are ill because those people haven't been exposed yet. That's another reason we might opt for the antibiotic, because two weeks with strep for us means two weeks of no playing with friends, and on the antibiotic I feel secure that the contagion factor is reduced enough after a few days to set them free again. :p

17. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

Actually, it appears to be individual as well as the whole population. Here's one article...

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2010/7007.html

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

That's excellent information, I've asked about this issue in many places and never received good information on why an individual would have a personal interest in limiting antibiotic use (as opposed to a social and community responsibility, which I acknowledge).

I can't say that I entirely understand the article, though. If resistant strains were developed in most people and then pass on in infectious disease, would we not have thousands or millions of resistant bacterial strains out there, not the dozen or less I thought we had? So is this like ear infection bacteria, flora and fauna in your system that doesn't interact with the outside world? Is this basically referring to, say, intestinal bacteria where the antibiotic will be more effective at killing off some strains than others so you get a GI imbalance? Because to me this is the most pressing reason to avoid antibiotic use when you can, I think it messes with the system, and it's a big deal to me, but not quite the same thing as what most people are afraid of when they talk about resistant strains developing -- surely this kind of thing has always been the case whenever any one individual uses antibiotics several times, it's not a new thing?

I'll keep an ear out on this one, really want to understand it better and I feel like I'm missing something. Thanks for helping me get it a little better.
    :)