- advertisement -

Non-D child at college and is hating it...need advice

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by 2type1s, Sep 1, 2011.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hey, I can commiserate now. Mine said "there's no one here like me" there are 4000 freshmen in her class. I am positive she'll find someone she has something in common with. It's hard not to feel bad for them though. It's like they expect to replace their BFFs from back home instantly. Those relationships take time to build.

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Hated my first semester of college. I made it through the semester with horrible grades. I didn't want to fail at something, so I wanted to stick it out. I got really depressed at the thought of going back there. My dad told me it was best to probably cut my losses and try someplace else. I picked a school closer to home just to "try" it that one semester. I loved it, and graduated 3 and a half years later from there. I'm getting my masters there now.

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Thank you for sharing this and for all the replies. I have a high school senior and it's so helpful to read about other's experiences.

4. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Michelle...how are things now. We are up to tolerable. And she chose to stay there tonight to go to the campus wide movie night....making progress!

5. joan

joan Approved members

Glad to hear she has opted to stay. I was just stressing about my d freshman and asked him how the d was doing. This is stressful but he said one 300 so far, it's been a week so I hope all is well in that regard. I am so worried about d I can't even think about him not liking it or not fitting in.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We're slightly past tolerable, and this morning I see some new faces in FB pictures and a couple of new friend "adds" (yes, I stalk). So that's some progress.

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Well....went to pick her up late last night, so could be home for the weekend. She had not one negative thing to say about the week! We talked the whole way home, she told me about her classes, some fun kids she met, things she has done....didn't say she liked it, but was happy the whole time! Think things are starting to turn around! My husbands band is playing tonight at an outdoor festival, so she'll be with us till then, then going to see her boyfriend. She's going to stay on campus all weekend in a couple of weeks to go to a retreat with the honors program. So....maybe we're gonna make it!

8. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Joan....if this happens with my d child, I will probably loose it!

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

This is so going to be me in 3 weeks. I hope you'll all be here as a shoulder to cry on, 'cause I can't get home for weekends! :p

Glad to hear things are getting better for your daughter.

10. joan

joan Approved members

Tell me about it...

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Where else would we be? I know you'll have a wonderful experience!

12. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Emma...we will be here! You know that!

13. joan

joan Approved members

It's Friday night and we just got the call. He is in his room and homesick. Doesn't like the roommate, has tons of work and because he is playing a sport, no time for any fun. He is also the worst on the team. Next weekend is parents weekend so at least we will get to see him.

14. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Oh, those calls are so hard! I hope things are looking brighter when you see him during the parents' weekend.

15. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Joan...I feel ya! Bailey has made friends and is "fine" there, but still wants to transfer after this year! We'll see how it plays out!

16. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Yep, know what you mean. Talk about feeling helpless...I was talking to Molly and she casually mentioned that she'd been running high and her pump wasn't alarming with low cartridge, low battery, and boluses! :eek: I told her to call up the company asap and problem solve with them. Next day, no communication...I send her a "call me now" text and she accuses me of "stressing her out"!:rolleyes: She tells me that maybe she just was too busy to notice the vibrates and not to worry!!! It might be a long 9 months!:rolleyes:

17. joan

joan Approved members

While listening to all his woes I happened to ask about the d. He has practice every day as well as weight training 3x's a week so I was asking how it's going since he has to be decreasing the lantus pretty regularly. He says " the lantus confuses me" he has been on lantus about 9 years, worked as a counselor at d camp and has been very independent. When I tried to ask what is going on he changed the subject and that was that. I also think it might be a long 9 months. It's nice to know I am not alone.

18. joan

joan Approved members

Thanks for this thread. When he called last night I was so ready for the conversation I think I actually used a few lines that I read here:)

19. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Joan...Im having heart palpatations just thinking about my D child going in less than 2 years! I hope my daughter gets it together soon..she is really stressing me out!