- advertisement -

No Way!!! This makes no sense!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kem25, Jun 3, 2010.

1. kem25

kem25 Approved members

What are my options if my 18 year old type 1 diabetic son is being denied his high school graduation and diploma due to attendance issues (high blood sugars), even though he has 5 A's and 1 B for final grades? He has awesome teachers and awesome grades but this is coming from the principal. Principal did not want to even look at my son's blood sugar logs or his glucose meter readings, etc this morning when I met with him. That was the 1st time I've ever talked to him, and he wants to 'teach my son a lesson' and 'is not into making exceptions'. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Is this a public school? Does your son have a 504?

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'd contact the Office of civil rights and the ADA.. I assume this is a public school and do you have a 504? They can NOT deny him graduation based on absenses that are from medical issues.

4. kem25

kem25 Approved members

The 504 thing has never come up, so I don't know if the school has a 504. I've always communicated with my son's teachers, who are so supportive and let him make up any work he misses. As a rule, I always call him in when he is late for school because of his blood sugar, and email his teachers too. So legally the school can't deny him a diploma because of his attendance (3 over the max)? I thought it would be a simple conversation with the principal this morning, showing him my son's data from the days he was tardy. Man, was I wrong. Yes, this is a public school.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm sorry you're facing this now, and I hope others in the US will be able to help you fight it better than I can.

Just wondering, though, why did he have to miss so much school? I've been diagnosed for 3 years and have only missed 1 day of school, when I had a stomach virus and ketones. Is the maximum limit for days missed very low where you are? :confused:

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

If there was a 504, you would know it, because you would have had to sign it.

Contact the ADA.

7. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I know if I were in public school I think the maximum we are allowed to miss is 3 or 4 days? Its been 2 years since I was last in a school, so I wouldnt entirely go by me.

This sounds so ignorant of the principal.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Oh wow, that's a small limit! Over here people miss weeks at a time regularly. I take back my previous question.

9. kem25

kem25 Approved members

He's missed school for several reasons - multiple adjustments to his early morning basils, changing his infusion set type multiple times, and my son 'owning his disease' before he goes off to college.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

As another poster suggested, call the ADA and see if there are any options at this point.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It is tough when all of a sudden the rules for attendance are enforced. It seems he could have given some sort of warning this was coming.

Does this happen to other almost graduates -- that they are informed right before graduation that they can't graduate? Did you know about the attendance rules -- is it documented somewhere for you to read?

Talk about a 504 is futile at this point -- that is the document to prevent this sort of thing.

12. kem25

kem25 Approved members

I've never signed anything, but I am going to find out if they have a 504. Thanks. I need to spend some time on the ADA site I guess. And check with the college he plans to attend as well.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Fwiw, this is the policy our High School follows.

Loss of Credit due to Absences for High school Students:
    1. A student who accumulates 9 excused absences or 3 unexcused absences in the same course within one quarter will lose .25 of a credit for that course. An ?X? will appear on the report card. Each unexcused absence will be weighted as 3 excused absences. Any combination of absences that equal 9 excused absences in the same course will result in loss of credit for the quarter.
    Please note: the loss of credit policy is pro-rated for P.E. and Health courses. These courses meet less frequently and earn less credit per quarter. As a result, any combination of absences that equal 6 excused absences will result in loss of .175 credit for the quarter.
    2. In the case of extended excused absences, a notification of an ?X? is not to be construed as a punishment but rather a means by which the student and parent are informed of the work that needs to be made up and the date by which it must be completed. A ?MED? mark may be used in instances of illness or extended hospitalization.

14. kem25

kem25 Approved members

We knew about the attendance rules, but it never really was an issue because his absences were excused, he made up the work he missed, and his grades are great. This is a new prinicpal this year so that probably has something to do with this. We have his blood sugars on logs and in his meter(s) - it seems to me that this data should be enough to explain his excused absences. I'll be going back to the school in the morning.

15. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yeah I think you need to talk to your local board of ed about this, also check with the state board of education . This is wrong, unfair and the principal sounds like a control freak. Here is some information about section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Even though your son did not have a 504 plan he should still be able to receive services according to it.

http://www.help4adhd.org/en/education/rights/504

16. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

I cannot believe you are just hearing about this now. I would definitely contact the superintendent of the school district as well as a lawyer. Your son is definitely being denied rights here. Keep us posted. I will need to make sure this doesn't happen to us in two years.

17. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You would have had to have created the 504 yourself, had a meeting with them to discuss and aprove it and then you would have all signed off on it. So, no they do not have a 504.

18. kem25

kem25 Approved members

This is my 1st time posting with CWD, or any T1 forum. You guys are sooo helpful!!!! Thank you so much. Beware of principals who meet you for the 1st time and say 'Your son has been late to school more times than I have been late to work in 22 years. You would think he could get to school on time by now.' I should a take a video of my son when his blood sugar is 530 at 5:30 in the morning and show him.

19. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I hope you are able to change this. It would really be a shame if your son couldn't graduate. Have you read the written district policy on absences to see if the principal is overstepping his new boundaries? I would document the dates and reasons for each absence and set up a meeting with the superintendent.

20. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

OOOHHHH please, post the principles email address for us... please. Its been a bad day, and I certainly can use someone to take it out on. might as well be him.