- advertisement -

No show school nurse

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tuckerce, Sep 20, 2011.

1. tuckerce

tuckerce Approved members

So today, I receive a call from my mother who teaches at the school where Casitlin attends. She proceeds to ask, if I was aware that the nurse did not show for work today and had anyone called to let me know that:confused:
    Of course, I am steaming and still have not received a call from the nursing supervisor. I guess I'm mad, scared because she has basically had NO insulin for what she has eaten while at school today. And even more so, that what if something would've happened to her:mad:
    I have put a call in to the nursing supervisor and the school counselor (504 coordinator), any suggestions on who else I may need to make aware of this?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Uh boy, THAT isnt acceptable but I know you already know that;) So a few questions for you if I may. When was your daughter diagnosed? Is she new to the school? Are they aware of your daughter's condition and does she have a 504 plan. So, were you not called until later in the day? After she had eaten snack and or lunch? without being tested or bolused for her food? The teacher must know that something is up right? Thats why she wears that little gizmo on her clothes.

You have every right to know why you were not made aware of the fact that the nurse had called out today and of course it is up to the school to either find a sub nurse for the day or have another staff member trained in diabetes care. That is why its imperative to have a 504 plan so that there is always someone there who knows how to take care of her.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Wow, that is insane! Are you saying that there is only one person in the entire school, the nurse, that is trained in D care? So all the children with medical needs, whether it is D care, asthma, etc., all didn't receive their necessary treatment today??? How is this possible??

I would be at the school first thing tomorrow morning to find out exactly what happened, as this is NOT acceptable in the least!

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would also let your endo know what happened. They might can 'help' the school understand how serious this was.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Even without a 504 - surely your child has a diabetes care plan ("doctor's orders") that are to be followed. To not follow those orders and not inform you - at all - are serious problems.

I do find it hard to believe they let something like this slip through - what about all the other kids who need inhalers, etc.?

If you have a 504 then the health plan should be attached but even so - that is a serious problem.

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Did they think your mother would automatically step in and deal with your daughter? Not that I think that would be appropriate or acceptable or legal, but I am just trying to figure out what was going through their minds. Definitely something to deal with directly and bring to administration's attention.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I look forward to an update -- really hoping that it turned out not to be as it looks to be. That would be just appalling -- like, call CPS appalling. :(

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

My thoughts exactly! I'm truly, truly hoping there was a miscommunication between the OP and her mother and all of the children were properly cared for.

9. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

wow! this is ridiculous!I sure hope that it all works out for you..and like others have said, I hope it is not what it seems to be.. I really can not get over that your cwd had lunch and a snack and the school did not think that your cwd needed her insulin??? I would be boiling..

10. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

Was there a sub or anything like that. Because whenever the nurse at my school is out, there's always a sub.

The nurse at my school is out a lot, but usually for meeting and stuff like that. Honestly, this isn't unusually.

11. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

I was never informed that when our school nurse (for K-8) wasn't in either. I made a stink, and now it's written into our 504 plan that I must be notified if our nurse, or a substitute RN isn't available. (Previously the principal would just play the nurse's roll).

I'm so sorry for you though. I know I'd worry. (HUGS)

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry that happened. To not have the nurse show up when you depended on her to make sure your daughter was taken care of is just plain wrong. Also they need to have a substitute available just in case the nurse is unavailable due to handling an emergency, etc. You have the right to know why.