advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No outside food or drink?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by skafri, Jun 4, 2014.

1. skafri

skafri New Member

My 16 year old son is a type 1 diabetic and in August will be attending an outdoor event with a strict "no outside food or drink" stance. Is it legal for the venue to impose these rules on a diabetic when lines for food and water can be hours long?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would send my kid with quick, emergency glucose and maybe a protein bar but would expect her to plan to buy actual food like everyone else. I can't speak to the legality, just know that even if it is illegal, the employees enforcing the rule may well not know that. I'd suggest she be discrete about it so as to avoid having to explain things to folks who might not get it.

3. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

I think I would call the venue explain the situation and see about bringing in snacks. I would work with her on making sure she gets in line for food etc early, it is about learning to preplan I would think.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I'd send plenty of glucose tabs and then have the kids buy the venue food.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Take fast-acting sugar - that's the only thing a diabetic can "justify" having on their person in a situation where they indicate no outside food or drinks.

6. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

That is what I would do too.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I'd also send glucose tabs as the fast acting sugar.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm in agreement with stocking the pockets with glucose but if that makes you feel nervous, most venues have a medical check in spot where you can leave supplies.