- advertisement -

No,no,no

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, May 26, 2009.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

The advocate for the ADA called and said she was going to see if she could find a lawyer to help me and if she can't find one pro-bono she would help me with this. She said that there is a similar case in Duval county here in Florida also. She did say that it is hard to get them to change there minds about sending children to "diabetic schools".

2. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

I missed the 45 minutes away part. I agree, that is unacceptable. The problem is where to send her son while she battles her school district. I seriously doubt they can turn them away BUT I am unsure what the legalities are for having a nurse with a sepecialization in diabetes. I know we left a private school for just this reason and my wife is way more comfortable in the public school with a nurse who happens to have had experience with diabetics over the years. Of course our school system is large thus more a chance that the nurse had that experience.

I think the solution still is to get the nurse trained.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think the solution is that they don't need a nurse. I think every time we push for a nurse, it hurt others who are in schools without nurses - that gives the schools ammunition for SENDING them elsewhere.

All they need is intelligent, willing adults. No nurses required here

4. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I'm not pushing for a nurse in the school this is what the school says he has to be at a school with a full time nurse. I am pushing for him to go to the school that is closer to us and for them to have someone there to tend to what he needs. There is already an LPN at this school and other children with D.

5. Nancy in VA

That's what I was saying. I think someone else was saying that the nurse should be trained at your school and I was just trying to enforce that it doesn't have to be a nurse.

You absolutely should be at your home school. The push should be for qualified individuals - and its CLEAR you don't have to be a nurse to be qualified.

6. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I'm sorry I misread what you were saying. Sometimes it is hard to actually know what is actually being said when you are reading a post and not seeing the person saying it.

7. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Emily could read going into K, but we didn't let her read labels (she does now though!). We would put each snack in a baggie and write the carb count on it with a marker. If it's all day school, you can do the same for lunch with just including a piece of paper, or send in the carb count of the hot lunch for the day (they have to provide this for you if you ask). Then, just have whoever's designated to helping him watch him put the bs in the pump, I'm sure he could do fine with supervision if you worked with him over the summer, and then make sure he put the right carb count in for what he's eating. We have them keep a log with that info and their actions so I can check it whenever I want. I also compare it to what the pump says was actually done ;) The notebook has a chart in the front with what to do for each range of bs--how to treat low, how long before retesting, call mom, etc., and a list of testing times (also notes differences for PE days). It's pretty fool proof, although we did have a few flukey problems with random people "helping" Emily and had to put a note in there for anyone that wasn't a "designated" helper to call mom. I think I went in the first 2 weeks of K to supervise, then had them call each time for about a month. They're pros now and handle it all great. And these are mostly secretaries, not RNs. Maybe if you go in with a plan like this, with the ADA backing you, they'll see it's not that unreasonable. I just don't see how they can turn your son away. And they have other kids with diabetes there? The best thing I learned from having so many school people lie to us that first year, was to do my homework, bring copies to catch them in their lies (watch how fast the backtrack out of that!), and never give up any ground. And we keep a paper trail now, saving all e-mails. We have tons more respect this year. I think they realized they were stuck with us and decided it was easier to do what they were supposed to do in the first place rather than have me force the issue.

Good luck! Let us know what the ADA has to say.

Kelly

Emily 7--dx @ 2 1/2, mult. food allergies
    Kaitlyn 3

8. Nancy in VA

Well, I agree that's all POSSIBLE, but not required. If her son isn't ready to take that step, he shouldn't be sent to another school. The school is SOOOO in the wrong here. I can't wait to hear what the lawyer / ADA says.

9. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Me too. .....

10. Christopher's Mom

Christopher's Mom Approved members

OMG -I can't believe what you are going thru!! We do not have a nurse at Chris's school or even in our distict!! We now have 3 kids with D at his school. When Chris was dx'd. in Jan. 2008, his teacher came to the hospital and told us she and the Principal had already started the 504 process. We didn't even know what a 504 was.

How can that school tell you that your child can't go there!! Our Secretary and the parent volunteer and Parent Liasion all three know how to give injections and now are learning the Pump right along with us.

After reading this and other posts - I now realize how incredibly lucky we are.

Is it possilbe to "train" someone at that school?? Would you be available to meet your child at lunch to supervise the BG checks??

11. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

Lilly was diagnosed in October 08 and there's never been a "nurse" at her school. Our county has one school nurse that goes from school to school and trains people to deal with whatever chronic conditions the kids have. She did a mini seminar for the people that would be dealing with Lilly day to day and showed them how to do glucagon and insulin injections and how to test her.

For lunch she takes cold lunch and we write all the carb counts in there and then they call me with what her BG was and how many carbs she ate (someone watches her eat) and then I tell them how many units to do.

We've been lucky that our school has been very accomodating and supportive throughout the process. The people who do her shots are the secretaries, they've had no medical training other than what the county nurse gave them. We live no further away than you do and are able to get there within minutes if needed, so we feel comfortable with the situation. There is no way I'd be okay with Lilly going to school 30 minutes away, no matter if there was a nurse there or not!

I think you are totally right to fight this. It IS possible for Type 1 kids to be in a school without a full time nurse, Lilly is the same age as your son (or was when she was diagnosed) and she's done amazing. It just takes some people willing to learn a bit and work with her and they'll do fine.

Good Luck, I'll be watching your posts to see what happens!

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Oh definitely call 1-800-Diabetes and ask to file a discrimination complaint. What the school district is doing is totally illegal. They cannot force your child to go to a specific school because of diabetes and they cannot keep your child from going to a specific school because of diabetes.

13. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

At opur private school all the teachers were willing to learn and help out. Still my wife has a less stressfull day knowing a nurse is in the school and that nurse knows how to handle diabteics. It should be part of the job.

14. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I am in total 'augh' over this. I can hardly believe that anyone would be so discriminative towards such a young child!
    Anyhow - GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!
    I hope the attorney nails them to the wall. :D

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just wanted to wish you good luck with this whole situation. It saddens me to learn about how hard some of you have it with respect to school issues.

Best of luck and keep fighting.

16. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

17. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

The ADA called me again today to let me know that there is a news station that wants to get in touch with us I don't know which one yet but I let her know that this was fine with me. I also recieved this email from the Sarasota County school board. The ADA wanted me to email her the principals email and I also emailed her this one that I got.

Ms. Pope,

Thank you for contacting me with your concern that your diabetic son who will be starting kindergarten next year will be required to attend Gulf Gate School instead of your neighborhood school, Tuttle Elementary. I understand that this will be a hardship for you because you have another child already attending Tuttle and due to your ongoing struggle with cancer. I have checked into this matter, but I am afraid I do not have very encouraging news.

It is my understanding that your son is a rather newly diagnosed diabetic and will require daily tests to check his insulin levels. That is something that must be performed by a properly licensed professional with the district or by the child's parent who would have to come to the school. All students in north county schools that need medical supervision are assigned to Gulf Gate and transportation is provided. Any siblings that the student has will also be allowed to attend Gulf Gate.

The state does not require, nor pay for, a licensed nurse at each school. Efforts to pass legislation to require a this or for funding to provide a nurse in every school have not been sucessful in the past and chances of it passing our currect economic conditions are, quire frankly, slim to none. We have "health aides" at most of our elementary schools and an RN at one school in each region to provide for the needs of those students that require medical care that must be provided by a licensed professional. While we try to fill our health aide positions with persons such as LPN's or EMT's, it is not within their scope of work with the district to administer the daily testing your son requires.

I currently sit on the School Health Advisory Council and support the legislation and funding request to have a nurse at every school. I will inquire further about how many students we have that must attend a different school in order to meet thier health needs and how much it costs the district to transport these students. I will then compare the transportaion costs to the cost of putting a nurse in every school. Those numbers will be helpful to me when I advocate for more nurses on our schools.

It is my understanding that once your son's diabetes in under control and he does not require the daily monitoring, he will be able to attend Tuttle. If it is any consolation to you, my grandson will be attending kindergarten at Gulf Gate next year. I am sorry that I could not be more helpful to you.

18. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Hello? WTF?

Has every functionally impaired school administrator in the country landed in FL?

I swear, Bobbi, if you decide to give up this fight, I am going to FL to carry the standard.

I mean I can see some scattered individual administrators having no clue, but this is more like a conspiracy of idiots.

19. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I am using the same quote as MamaC.

This single statement is strikingly discriminatory.

Your school choices have nothing to do with your child's illnesses or even the state of the disease. This school official should know better. I think any middle-aged adult is aware of workplace disability laws, for starters. Although there are big differences between educational and workplace ADA regulations, this official should already be on guard for what he or she is saying regarding topics like this. In other words, when putting statements in writing, he or she is not doing a good job of CYA, which makes your case stronger. Unfortunately, this may mean that this official could be arrogant and adamant. Also, this obviously means that the school and the school district are clearly not educated properly and are not doing a good job of communicating about special needs in general.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

ARE THEY KIDDING??? OMG, what and IDIOT! I'm speechless - and I'm NEVER speechless ;) I'm stunned...