- advertisement -

No luck at all getting Jacob's sensor sites to stick

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jacob'sDad, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Well, Jacob hasn't used his CGM is quite some time. We had problems with the Dex; he was allergic to the adhesive. He also breaks out from both Skin Tac and Mastisol. He breaks out from over bandages and they don't tend to stick very well, including Opsite. The edges curl up and he starts scratching within a couple of days. Now we have the Revel. The sites don't stick. The only thing I can really prep with is alcohol. Even if the site kind of sticks I still have to put tape or Opsite or something over the top. Those don't stick well either and then he breaks out. Getting three days would be very good and even then it all would be coming loose.

Tonight I tried to insert a sensor and all that happened was that the part with the probe didn't stick hardly at all, then blood got under it and it was completely loose. The bottom part stuck a little but pulled off very easily. So no sensor. AGAIN.

Any help would sure be appreciated. What HAVEN'T I thought of?

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Just to clarify we are talking about the MM CGM sof-sensors right? If so, I have had the same problem. I went through a phase where after inserting it I had to hold down on the purple part and tape over that before pulling the needle out or the whole part would come out. I think there is a batch out there where the adhesive on that part is really weak. I am not sure the problem is you, I think it might be the sensors themselves (well their adhesive).

I would order some hypa-fix on amazon and see if he reacts to that. I can't use the dex sensors but I can use hypa-fix even though dexcom claims they are the same exact adhesive.

Also, if you haven't already I would try the lower back for inserting the sensor. I find they stick best there and are the most accurate (unless your son sleeps on his back in which case you will get false lows at night). I will attach a picture to give you a better idea of the exact location.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Try prepping with just mild soap and water and drying well. Then use a paper tape to hold site on. You can peel the tape off daily and then put new tape on in a slightly different spot if needed. Sorry:( good luck You might check with a derm on suggestions also.ali

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I got arm bands a while back from some company that made them for pods. They helped with sensors on my arms.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac has really sensitive skin, too. We try to do the sites on bath nights, so that after he's fully dry we put them on. For his CGM we take a IV3000 and cut a small square in the center for where the wire has to go in. We then stick the CGM on top of that and often reinforce the cgm tape with kinesiology tape. For his infusion sites we don't put anything under and the only thing that has worked on top are waterproof bandaids, the tattoo kind. Oddly enough if we use the IV300 on top of the infusion sites he'll break out in a rash.
    So...
    Just trial and error.
    I think I remember somebody saying that they used Johnson and Johnson's Tough pads, maybe it was Kerri at Six Until Me blog.
    Hope you find a solution :)

7. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

We had a terrible skin reaction to adhesives that was systemic and took forever to calm down. Kerri's tough pad suggestion is the one that has worked for us. We still have mild reactions but they fade quickly. We must have tried 15-20 different adhesives, preps and wraps.

So I agree, keep trying. Good luck.

8. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

If you haven't tried hypafix, I would give it a shot. It's the only tape we can use without a reaction. We use soap & water to clean. Put a small square of hypafix under the transmitter, over the little adhesive tab. Then 2 longer rectangles over the entire transmitter.

9. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Thanks for all the help and advice! Several of these things I have already tried, but it's all worth reviewing to see where I might be going wrong.

10. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

We are not using CGM, but had a terrible time with sites falling off and itchy, irritated skin! I found the more stuff I tried the worse it got. After going through many samples we used Relimed Stingless Barrier wipes. THEN just recently they changed the formula (not the name) and it does not work for us any more. We are now using the alcohol free ( stingless) skin barrier wipe from 3M. Works perfectly. Swimming, bathing, running and crazy kid stuff with no issues.

Also my experience with transparent dressings is tegaderm is the better option for itchy skin (again my experience and the advice of our endo). My DD has an issue with IV3000. Our doc suggested using the tegaderm on the skin then adding site to that, but never needed to one we found an alcohol free barrier (any of them with alcohol never worked for us, STRANGE)!

I also remember reading awhile back of someone using a skin prep, then transparent dressing, the skin prep on top on that before applying CGM/site.

Best of luck. My DD is very lean and we are so limited in area so we are using all the good space for pump sites. I can't wait till we can use a CGM.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Ok, we've never tried this but a million years ago I recall another mom of a swimmer suggesting using antiperspirant on the skin to help infusion sets stick. I just did a quick web search and found a few articles suggesting the same. maybe it will help??

12. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Mitchum roll-on antiperspirant is the way to go.

13. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Have you tried using a skin barrier wipe such as cavilon? I use it after I insert the sensor over an opsite barrier (I cut a small notch out for the sensor to insert). Bethany has very sensitive skin so that's why I use the cavilon all the time. It also creates a bit of a stickiness on the skin which helps the opsite that I use over the sensor and a transmitter to stick much better.