- advertisement -

No D-day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick Masercola, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Nick Masercola

Nick Masercola Approved members

In honor of No D-day ( where you're not allowed to talk about it) I figured I'd start this post to see what everyone is up to when they're not dealing with diabetes.

Considering it's October and I'm a huge horror nerd, most of this month will be spent enjoying the macabre. This weekend I'm going to a haunted house that is apparently so extreme ( such as the people being allowed to drag you, and having to walk through by yourself) most people quite before they ever finish it. Also trying to save up a bit of cash to see some stand-up comedy towards the end of the month, because I haven't managed to get out to a show in quite a while.

What about you all?

2. Deal

Deal Approved members

I didn't get the memo. I wish it was possible, but it's sort of like thinking of having a city wide no doctor day or no fire truck day. A pleasant thought though.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think this is more possible for those of us self-managing than parents (we can just do it and not talk about it - you guys can't so much!).

I've just moved to university, so this month will be spent settling in, trying to feel less homesick, and doing lots of work. :)

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im trying to get my creative juices flowing and have gone out and cut down some grape vines. I need to cut down some bittersweet vines next to make wreaths with them. Im also birdwatching when I can. Its a great time of year to see many migratory birds. I love to walk so try to do that every day and read. I have a big stack of books for the winter. And of course the endless housework and Momwork of laundry and cleaning and cooking and shopping and helping with homework. You know that show "Are you smarter then a 5th grader?" Well, my youngest son Steven is in 5th grade and Im realizing that the answer to that question is probably no, no Im not smarter then a 5th grader:eek:

5. Nick Masercola

To Deal: It was mainly started ( or at least propogated) by ninjabetic (www.ninjabetic.com).

To Emm: What university did you head to? I just graduated this year. Make sure you enjoy yourself, because the real world is nowhere near as fun.

To Becky Stevens Mom: It's terrifying the things kids learn in 5th grade that you either totally forgot or have completely changed since you were there.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm at Cambridge University. It's very nice and very, very beautiful here; I hope to get some pictures to upload to CWD. Handed in my first assignment yesterday, and the work really begins from here! I'm homesick but this week will be my first proper week of work, and I think it's going to get busy enough to distract me. :cwds:

7. Nick Masercola

The homesickness will subside in a little. Once you're busy with work and know more people it goes away, but when you have all sorts of idle time it gets to you. I remember how I would just be thinking about " I wonder what so-and-so is doing right now". Good luck, though!

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I just go about my days, doing the mundane stuff, like grocery shopping, cleaning:mad:;), studying, etc.

Funnily enough, when i do head out and I see that the school should be calling me soon with the latest BG, I tend to take the normal streets instead of the highway, so I can park and talk easily. I guess I do have D on my mind all the time, but it's not obvious, kwim?

I live a boring life, as you can see.:rolleyes:

9. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

I am busy taking care ofmy 3 week old little girl and my oldest son is turning 5 in about a week so I am tryng to make sure he has a great birthday. Between my 2 year old being recently diagnosed and a newborn its been hard to give him equal attention, but he is handling it so well and being so helpful so I want to make sure he has an amazing day!!

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh bless your heart! I too hope that he has a great birthday. Im sure that your family and friends will help you to get everything done. Let them know what you need done and get plenty of rest when you can

11. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My son asked me a bit back if on his birthday if on his birthdyay(Nov. 1) he could have a day without shots(his version of non d day I guess)...It broke my heart that he asked, but I said, No...unfortunately that is not possible...but for us a non - day day...is just dealing with the numbers...No talks about it...him not seeing me on online on this site lol...or talking to another about his condition...just handling the day with love and smiles, good food(a poke here and there, but no fuss and muss)...

12. Nick Masercola

Yikes...that's rough to hear your child say that. Hopefully with time he'll become okay with the things he has to do to control his diabetes.

The organization I work for ( the JDCA) is trying to form an alliance so that charities put their money far more into research for a cure than anything else, and we hope that it will ( within the next 15 years) produce a fruitful, practical cure.

Until then, as someone whose had the disease since they were a kid, I promise he'll get the hang of it.

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just curious, how much money have you collected so far towards your definition of a cure?

14. Nick Masercola

Chris: This might sound kind of odd, but we don't accept donations.

The easiest way to explain ourselves would be as kind of a watchdog. We believe most people donate to charities in hopes it's going to cure research, where most of it is actually given to a bunch of other avenues ( prevention, awareness, salaries etc.)

Our goal is to get that to change, and slowly force charities to spend donor money the way they want it to be spent. We're fairly new, and have recently begun introducing ourselves to the diabetic community. One of the initiatives we have so far are these things called "Donor Action Letters", which if you send them to a charity, must be LEGALLY followed, ensuring your money goes where you want it, while make accounting a nightmare for the charity.

We will be rolling several other initiatives shortly, but essentially our goal is to form an alliance with donors to slowly change the charity landscape. There is an absurd amount of money in the system that if directed to cure research, would greatly improve the chance of finding one sooner, something we wall want to happen.

15. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Good luck with that (no sarcasm, I mean it!).

When I worked for a nonprofit they had no problem telling donors their money could be targeted, it wasn't a hassle but a "tactic" because it made people donate more because they thought they had control over their donation after giving. It didn't change the way the organization actually operated because, as I was told early on, money is "fungible". Without tagging, we would just spread all donations where we wanted. But once tagging started, we'd just take the untagged money out of the areas that people liked to target to fully fund our own priorities. It was just a shell game.

Of course, not all nonprofits work this way, but at the time I was in the industry this was considered just the way the game worked.

I became very cynical about the way money is moved around by nonprofits. Good luck watchdogging, it's not an easy job.

16. Nick Masercola

Lisa: Thanks a ton for your support! And yeah, there are a bunch of shady things that go on that we hope will be able to turnaround, though even I'm slightly shocked at how "everyday" the tampering of money seemed to be at the non-profit you worked at. If you have any more interest in us, there's a link in my profile that'll take you to our website.