- advertisement -

Nightmares and sleep talking in an adult

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Jazziesmom, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Jazziesmom

Jazziesmom Banned

Does this sound like I should encourage my husband to see a doctor::::
    Lately, at least twice a week, my husband starts screaming in his sleep that batman is in the house.
    I know this sounds comical, but it's not.
    I need to wake him up and calm him down.
    He never remembers in the morning, but after "batman appears" and he's back in bed, he's very sweaty and I can literally see his heart beating out of his chest.

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Hmm, I don't know honestly. I have terrible nightmares, but mine have a reason behind them and are often the product of increased stress and emotional turmoil.

I don't think it would hurt for him to talk to his doctor, just to be safe.

3. Jazziesmom

Jazziesmom Banned

Thank you for your reply.
    The sweating with the fast heart beat is what alams me.
    Is it from the nightmare, or is the nightmare from something physically wrong.
    I'm sorry about your nightmares, have you considered yoga before bed or putting light classical music on while you sleep?

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I do listen to music, mine are more based on memories I try not to think about. I'm a writer and tend to get emotionally invested in my characters, to the point that I push my limits beyond what I know I can handle.

If it were me, I'd insiste that he goes to the doctor. Just to be on the safe side.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

I usually wake up once a week shrieking and screaming in my sleep..hmmm, and I wonder why I am single?

MY kids ignore it now. And I don't know if I will ever mention to my Dr. I chalk it up to lack of sleep, stress and watching American Horror (just kidding - it has gone on for decades and I rarely remember it).

6. Jazziesmom

Jazziesmom Banned

Yikes Lee.
    Screaming in your sleep? I would say that it could be something medical, but since it's been for decades, I would say it's stress and lack of sleep. If it's not to personal, do you sweat or have rapid heartbeat like my husband?
    It wouldn't hurt if you mentioned it your doctor, just to get it checked out.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

When I get woken up from it yes - I feel like my heart is going to beat out of my chest.

ETA: I see no reason to see a doctor about it - I do not think it is anything physical at all. Just good old night terrors.

8. Jazziesmom

Jazziesmom Banned

Oh Lee, please get it checked out.

9. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Does he snore a lot? I have sleep apnea, and have woken up with pulse racing and sweating. It scares me when I think it's from the apnea since I'm afraid I wasn't breathing at all before I woke up. If he is just having a bad dream with the sweating a fast pulse, I would assume it's just from a surge of adrenaline.

Nightmares however, I've had since the beginning of time. :) I've heard it from my parents, friends, husband, kids. Common isn't the word, but not surprising when I mumble and cry hysterically in my sleep. Sometimes I wake myself up, but more often it is by my kids or husband. Even my 10 year old woke me from a nap just patting me and telling me it was okay, that it was only a dream. Actually haven't had one in a while, but did last night.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I've always had bad nightmares. I wake up (in my dream I have to MAKE myself wake up) sweaty and with heart pounding. It will take me a while sometimes to go back to sleep because I can still "see" the dream. I don't think it's that unusual or anything to worry about. It does seem to be more frequent around that time of the month so hormones seem to play into it for me.

Watching Fringe before bed can do it too ;)

If it's something new it can't hurt to get it checked out. It's probably just stress.