- advertisement -

night time testing during the honeymoon-is it as crucial?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by suphillips, Mar 2, 2008.

1. suphillips

suphillips Approved members

Hi all,
    I'm sure most of you saw the recent poll of how many test in the wee hours, where the answer was a majority-YES. I'm wondering how many of you tested so thoroughly at night during the honeymoon?

I'm curious because we're honeymooning quite nicely (down to 2 units Lantus, rarely needing novolog), and I've pretty much stopped testing late night. EVERY time I did my daughter was between 120 and 140, and she's been waking between 80 and 110 every morning. She's sleeping so well, it seems such a shame to wake her, just to see 137 yet again (yes, I've seen 137 several times. Strange!).
    thanks tons,
    Sue

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

This is a very sensitive subject for many parents. There are some parents that test every single night no matter how stable the numbers are during the night, and there are some that just have stopped because their children have some stability at night, like you do. Honeymoon or not, it doesn't really matter. Sometimes the honeymoon can affect the numbers adversely as well.

I don't test every night, but I have a feeling that when she's running around this summer and into more outdoor activities, I will have to. I always test when we change her basal dosage as well. If she were still on NPH, I would also be testing every single night. There are just so many variables that can affect overnight stability, you never know. At the very least, we keep her bedroom door open, or some parents use baby monitors, or CGMS devices with alarms, to make sure that if they don't check, they will wake up if something happens.

3. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

With those numbers, I wouldn't test every night.

If you have more activity than usual or a crazy numbers day, then test, but don't lose sleep when you don't need to. During the honeymoon, we did not test after DD went to bed until the next morning. (Of course we had the added benefit of not having to use any basal at that time) Our ped recommended testing in the night once or twice a month at that time. What does your endo say?

Now we do an 11PM test every night but routinely skip the 3AM test if she's running steady.

4. Boo

Boo Approved members

We did not check every night when honeymooning. Only if #'s were wacky or if activity was unusual for that day.

I do check every night now. But...my son is in puberty, and has a very erratic schedule.

5. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

honeymooning is such a freaky period oh yes, checking at night is a must because honeymooning = unexplained low blood sugars. If its just for your peace of mind. Then its still ok. For me, I cant sleep when she is on one of her whacky "lets not need so much insulin" times because its almost predictable that she will crash at night. And I would rather me catch it and wake her up to drink juice than her wake me up and maybe not make it to my bedroom.

6. coop

coop Approved members

We are also honeymooning. Our #'s are very predictable. We have been checking at night about once a week. They are always mid to low 100's. Our endo also agreed with this. Now if she had a lot of activity or her #'s were off for the day we will check again at night.

7. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

I didn't check as much during those first weeks with child 1, but now, since we're up anyway, it seems like a good idea to check them both.

I am curious -- why do you wake your child up for a BG test? My boys sleep right through it.

If I remember correctly, our protocol was/is to check every third night at 3 am regardless of how steady things are. This is what we used to do, but seriously, with two of them and their sports, there is ALWAYS a reason to be up testing. :)

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I dont, I only wake her up if she has to drink juice or eat peanut butter to bring her up from a low.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Testing at night is a personal decision, based on your experiences and comfort level with how managing the D is going. In the best part of DD's honeymoon (which sounds like where you are now), we'd test every 10-15 days just to make sure that things were still stable.

10. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

I still test every night at 2 am, but most everyone on here knows why..LOL But I will probably do it till the kid moves out.

11. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

Amen to that!! Jacob is all over the place

12. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I've checked every night since dx. They did while he was in the hospital, I was told to keep doing that at release and his endo expects the 3 a.m. number along w/ the rest when I fax them in. I've caught many, many lows and highs during the night, even when the numbers were fine during the day. He is still in the honeymoon phase.

13. suphillips

suphillips Approved members

It's a good question, and maybe I should try not waking her. But I started out by telling her before bed that I was going to do it, and asked her if she wanted me to wake her, or try to do it in her sleep. We had a long discussion about how most kids don't even wake up, that she might never know I was there. But she was adamant that I wake her, was afraid it would give her nightmares.

14. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Not regularly, just once in a while.

I don't see why the heck why people say you get wacky or unpredictable numbers when in the honeymoon. We had much better numbers in the honeymoon. It's coming out is when things got crazy for us! So we test more at night now a lot more than we did during the honeymoon.