- advertisement -

Night time enuresis and type1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Connor's Mom, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Is anyone else battling night time enuresis? When we first started having the biggest problem with it, we were sure it was related to highs over night. Now, even if he's in range we still have night time problems. We have been to the pediatrician and they seem to think it will go away on it's own when he is around 12 or 13! That seems like a ling time to wait. He's only 10. He hates that it happens. We have tried limiting fluids before bed. We have tried waking him every 2 hours to try to use the bathroom. We have tried ensuring it's not a bowel issue. He hates this and I want to help him any way I can. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My daughter had the same problems. Sometimes up to 3 times a night. She's a very heavy sleeper and she really just wouldn't wake up until she got cold. We got an alarm that has a little sensor that clips onto their undies while they sleep and goes off when it gets moist. I think we only had to use it for about a week. It worked great.

3. Connor's Mom

Did you need a script for the sensor? He is a very heavy sleeper as are all my kids. Heck, we had straight winds take down the power line towers in the field behind our house and they all slept through it.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

When I was a young girl I had accidents until I was almost 11. My Mother ended up asking the doctor about this and he said that I was such a sound sleeper that I wasnt feeling the urge to go and that my bladder was weak. He had me do exercises during the day to strengthen it. During the day when I felt the urge to go I had to hold it for a little while. This strengthened the bladder muscles and I was able to stop having accidents within a couple months of beginning the exercises. My older son was wearing the Goodnights until he was almost 9. Steven my diabetic was dry at age 4 throughout the night.

5. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

Did this problem start at diagnosis, or has he always had problems with wetting at night?

6. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

My son 7 has it - sometimes he says he hates it because he feels like a tot. He was was just dry overnight at age 4 but then got D and he never quite got there.

We're addressing it by never making a big deal out of it and trying to assuage his guilt. He wears a "good night" pull-up and has a mattress protector. Most times he wakes up dry or almost dry unless he's hypo overnight. I thinking that it will just auto-resolve over time.

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I could be wrong, but i don't think Kegel exercises have utility in young boys ? :confused:

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son is 7, dx at 4. He was not yet staying dry at night at dx, and continued being wet every night until he was about 6. Now, it happens about 3 or 4 times a month.

I had a nephew (now grown), nonD, who also had this problem, and...seeing that it is not all that uncommon in boys... I have not made a big deal of it with Daniel. I have brought it up with the doc, who is not concerned. It does not seem to bother Daniel all that much right now, and so we just change sheets and jammies and get on with the night. Have not gone the route of alarms and such, simply because it is not a big deal for HIM. If it bothered him, I think I would be more aggressive in that way. He was embarrassed while he still wore Pull-ups at night. Because he was staying dry a majority of the time, we ditched the Pull-ups and he feels better. We just use a waterproof pad, now. Makes for messier clean-ups, but it makes him feel less self-conscious, so it's worth it.

For now, it seems to be slowly going away, so I'm going to wait and see. Good luck with whatever you try!

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Ours was something similar to this, which I found online. Her issues were all pre-diagnosis. Our doctor said the same thing, just a heavy sleeper and she doesn't wake up enough to feel she has to go. Her issue was she was getting older and sleepovers. She did have accidents at a couple of them which was horribly embarrassing for her.

I was getting kind of desperate as changing the sheets multiple times a night was getting old. Not to mention she had a loft bed which was a huge pain to change in the first place.

10. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

The nighthawk solved this problem for us - it's well worth the $120 - it's saved me way more than that in Goodnights. We also gave it to a friend whose 11 year old with D was wetting and he is completely dry too. I would highly recommend it.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had this problem until he was around 12. It worked for my husband to get him up every night around 2-3 am and walk him to the bathroom. He carried him when he was little enough, but then my son grew too tall and he had to be led to the bathroom.

At sometime around 12, the enuresis stopped.

We covered the mattress in plastic, but couldn't afford the goodnights for a large boy.

12. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

My daughter is 11 and has just started having more and more dry nights. It used to be everynight. Just like Becky said...she is a sound sleeper and not feeling the urge to go. I was told she'll just grow out of it as well. We have tried alarms and everything....nothing worked so I just have to wait it out I guess.

13. Connor's Mom

When he was potty training he was dry at night for about 2 months. He started showing symptoms of D then, excessive thirst, increased urination but, his pediatrician at the time wasn't concerned. We had several times when we approached the doc about D but, we were always told there would be other symptoms. After he was diagnosed, he was dry for the first time in ages. He stayed dry for about 3 months and then things went back to being wet. We do pelvic stabilization exercises (they aren't Kegals) and he can easily stop urinating mid stream which I thought was a feat for any boy lol! Goodnights are very expensive and we have had nights when he even wets through them. I will try to look into the nighthawk. If it works it would be amazing. Thank you all for the help!

14. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

I just asked my sons endo about this today!my son is only 2, so he wears diapers, but he has been soaking through 2, sometimes 3 diapers a night. He wasnt like this before dx, and before the symptoms of it etc.. He was almost at the point to wearing underwear because he was waking us up to come get us to help him! The doc said he might be going a little high in the night, but he is waking up with very good numbers, so he doesnt want to increase the lantus at all. He goes to bed with about 4oz of milk and thats it. I dont know what to do about it. I feel like I am never going to get him out of diapers at night!!

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Has he seen a urologist? Or just his Ped? I don't have experience with this but if it were my son I would take him to a urologist to be checked out.:cwds:

16. Connor's Mom

We saw the urologist but, again it was he should out grow it by 12-13 years old. There is family history on my husband's side of this so, they felt it was just something that was bound to happen with one of the kids.

17. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I don't know about young boys, but some men do Kegel exercises ... for a variety of reasons including helping with incontinence.

18. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Same here - strong family history in all males but it just went on so much longer with Oscar because of the D. I had resigned myself to washing sheets daily and buying shares in Goodnights. I bought the Nighthawk as a last resort, thinking it couldn't possibly help but what the heck I was willing to try anything. I still cannot believe it worked and I also have a very grateful friend who didn't think anything would work for her son either.

19. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My youngest son Nick (non-D) has this problem. He's almost 6. He's been wearing pull-ups for over a year and I still have to change his sheets a few times a week. He also has sensory processing disorder, ADHD, possible post-traumatic stress (we adopted him out of foster care a year and a half ago), severe nightmares and night terrors. I might try the sensor! It could work for him!
    (and in case you're wondering--NO I don't sleep! ;) I have a baby, a T1, an insomniac and a bedwetter. I think Caleb is the only one who doesn't need anything all night long :) )

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  20. timsma

timsma Approved members

We used the same type of thing as the nighthawk when my boys were young. The version they wore was called the pottypager, made by the same people that make the nighthawk. It worked miracles for us too! Tim was dry in just a week's time and my other son was within the month. I highly recommend either of these as well.
    Here's a link to their page for both products:
    http://www.bedwetting.us/