- advertisement -

night testing, a teen perspective

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by pianoplayer4, Aug 27, 2010.

1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

hi all, i have seen alot of posts on night testing resposobilites with teens and being one I thought i migh give my opinion. at my house we do not test every night, we test if I am low at bed time, high at bed time and need to correct, or have had wonky wake up numbers. this works for us and the only time that i have gone dangurusly low my mom had planned to test my and caught it =) I am a very light sleeper and always wake up when my parents test me, really I wake up when they open the door and I test myself =) since we do not test every night my parents usally wake me up but if I need to be tested at midnight (and its not a school night/Im not over tired) I will wait up and just go tell them my number. If I have to test at say 3 am they come wake me because if I were low I might not be able to wake my self up. this works for us, we can fix problems if we see them arising but we dont go looking for them. I do not feel as though my mom is being over protective and she does not owrry about me every night. personally I would never let my mom test me every night becasue it wakes me up! hope i helped
    YDMV

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I can understand not testing every night if it wakes you.

We're lucky - my 14 year old daughter is a REALLY heavy sleeper. I can come in, pull out her hand from under the covers, swab a finger, test her, put her hand back on the covers, and leave without her ever waking up.. :cwds:

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Thanks for sharing...We do things the same way. Unfortunately with football I am testing alot. :(:cwds:

4. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

very insightful, thanks for sharing that!

My daughter usually sleeps through most of our night checks.
    I found it is helpful to say I am testing you so she doesn't jump at the poke....and if she is low ...then she takes juice and gogurt.

I don't test every night, just when insulin dose is increased, or high activity, illness, menses, or unusual day of numbers....its about 1-2x a week now....more or less.

School starts tomorrow and I know we'll be testing tonight...excitement always drops the BG for Amb.