- advertisement -

Night checks? Parent or Teen?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Bigbluefrog, Jan 10, 2012.

1. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

For us Moms vs Dads is more of a getting back to sleep issue. Her Dad means well and he thinks he's as quiet as a mouse but it's more of a bull in a china shop. So while I can go in quickly, wake her, have her test and be back in my bed in a couple of minutes. Her Dad turns up all the lights, talks loudly etc and it takes her longer to try and get back to sleep. Which is why she'd rather set an alarm and do it herself. She will text me the number when she checks. If she's high/low she'll call and we'll discuss what to do (I don't always wake up to the text ping but I do the phone). Her Dad really has no idea how to correct either way so she'll call me.

2. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I check both my girls once a night, but usually rely on their dexcoms, if the numbers or trends are off, then I check with a finger stick.
    We always calibrate before bed, so as long as the calibration of good I use the Dex. Morgan sleeps through is, Zoe prefers to be wakened enough to to prick her own finger. however, there have been many times where they are low or high and take care of it themselves and them come tell me. My oldest (and non - D) was home over college and was up VERY late every night, so she did the night check for me so I could get some sleep. It was wonderful! My husband will do it if I ask, but like a PP, he turns on all the lights, is noisy and grumpy, and wakes the whole house, so I prefer to just do and and get back to sleep!

3. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

Would ye guys all suggest a night check? Is it inportant that i do it or not? Myself and my parents have never done a night time check since I was diagnosed 9 months ago.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

We were also told when my son was first diagnosed that checking at night wasn't necessary. :eek: We soon learned that wasn't true. Look at it this way - would you go 8 hours during the day without checking? I think it's important to check at night.

5. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

We were never told about night testing but a lot of other type 1's test at night, you have a point I wouldn't go 8 hours during the day without testing, I suppose night time shouldn't be any different.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If you have not already done so, I would encourage your parents to come to this site and get some information and support.

7. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

I'll ask them and see if they'd like to join :)

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

If you're still honeymooning, night checks aren't as critical. But as that honeymoon wears off, they become ever more important. We've caught many potentially very bad lows by checking at night..

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I LOVE both of these^^^ That said, I do the testing Mon-Thurs. Seth likes to stay up on the weekends so he usually does it then. BUT, if I thought there might be a problem, I would get up too:cwds:

10. ciarak

ciarak Approved members

I've been doing a few night checks over the last few nights (my diabetes nurse and dietician were running a carb course that i was on and asked us all to complete night checks) and I was running between 10-13mmol at 3am but normal sugar level when i got up, so i think for the moment they're are happy enough with everything and they said not to bother now with the night checks for the time being.

11. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

My daughter is 13 and I still do 99% of her middle of the night checks. She has to be awake at 5:00 for school and I just can't see what benefit it will be for her to lose sleep and be even more tired during the school day. She does however check her bg herself sometimes on the weekend, when she doesn't have to get up so early in the morning. And she checks herself when she is at a sleepover, she will call or text me at 2:00am and let me know what her reading is. While I do think it's important to teach some independence, as after all she will have to take total control of caring for herself when she turns 18-19, I don't see any reason to rush her either. She's 13 and as another poster said, I'm not making her study for her driver?s exam or SAT's ;). I will do my best to take some of the burden off of my daughter and help her to just be a kid and enjoy her childhood

12. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

I agree totally. :D

13. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

I must be nuts, but we never check my dd's night time bg's. She does her Levimir before bed, and off to sleep she goes. If she feels low, she has woken up, and gotten something to drink, then gone back to bed. Her bg's are normally under good control, and she is not on a pump. Is this unusual?

14. Christopher

If it works for you and your daughter, then who cares if it is unusual?

But since you asked.....personally, I feel if you don't check at night you have no idea what her bg is for 8-10 hours and you are going to miss lows/highs. If she wakes up from her lows that is great, but will she wake up everytime she is low? She probably won't wake up if her bg is high, so she could go for a long time with high bg, which is not good for her internal organs.

If she is 14 and her bg is normally under "good control" and her A1C is where you want it to be, then you must be doing something right, keep it up.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I think that the parents on this particular website skew "normal". I doubt most teenagers are checked at night, so from that viewpoint you are not unusual.

Parents who seek support and information on websites like this one tend to be looking for tight control and just a bit more on the management side. I happen to think this is the RIGHT way to approach it, but it's not the USUAL way, IMO and IME.

That said, we don't check at night either. I think a lot has to do with age at diagnosis and overall ability to feel lows. The older the child when diagnosed the more opinionated they are about being checked at night. My son will let me wake him, but not test him, for example. To him my coming into his room is an invasion....to a child diagnosed at 4 who has never known life without mom sneaking in at 2a to poke and draw blood it's no big deal.

I'm very happy to have CGM to verify that night checks are needed....or not. We don't check as a rule but do check when indicated. He is VERY sensitive to his lows, and he also goes to bed quite late...and I wake very early (and check) so in reality it's a fairly short time span of not testing in our home.

16. Christopher

This may be splitting hairs, but for me, if someone is using a CGM then they ARE checking at night. They are constantly being checked. I know you meant with a fingerstick. But if you are confident in the CGM, then you probably don't need to do a fingerstick at night (except obviously if you are getting an alarm or something).

17. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

At 15 we split the night she stays up till midnight and sleeps midnight to 6am. I sleep from 9 till 3 and I check on her at 3. Then I doze till 5am. The three am check can be as simple as a light nudge to get a response (for my peace of mind) to testing depending on the midnight number on meter and her overall health. I feel like at sixteen she should have more of the responsibility. I hope she takes the 3am on non school nights. So at 17 she will take on all care. I cannot be there in college and I want to see the quality of care demonstrated before she is on her own. If I do it all the adjustment to college and all self care is going to be overwhelming I think. Easing her into to it makes it a slow change that can be manageable.

18. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

This is true. At a local support group a while ago I was one of only two out of 10 parents who checked at night. The other parents really didn't think it was necessary and seemed to think I was being obsessive.

I don't care what others think, though. I have seen Phillip drop a lot at night, and rise a lot too. Neither of these I would want to leave til morning. I know I've caught quite a few lows over the last 7 years at night that didn't wake Phillip up and I hate to think what would've happened if I hadn't checked him.