- advertisement -

Nighscouters just got offered a huge Ting discount.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, Nov 5, 2014.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

If you use Ting cell/data for your uploader, whether you already do or are thinking aobut it, Ting just offered Nighscouters $100 credit. That means you could run nightscout for almost a year for free. I guess they figure when you see how cheap it is you will switch all your phones to Ting (I did). It's only until Dec 1, so if you're on the fence, climb down now. Do NOT post these links to public coupon sites as they are to be used in support of D families trying to get access to their child's data. Copy and paste the links into your address line if you can't click on them.

If you’re an existing Ting Nightscouter customer, please fill out the form at:
    https://ting.formstack.com/forms/nightscout
    Your $100 credit will be applied within 3 business days

New to Ting and Nightscout, go to nightscout.ting.com when signing up to receive your $100 credit.

For more information on getting started with Ting we have a great FAQ located here:

https://help.ting.com/entries/102265066-FAQ-Nightscout-and-Ting

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Looks like either the site is overwhelmed or the offer is no longer valid.

ERROR: This form has been deactivated and is closed for any further submissions.

I hope they reactivate it.

3. denise3099

Just now at 4:38 eastern standar it said it was temporaly disabled please try back. I guess they are overwelhmed but I'm gladd it's still valid.

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Worked for me at about 3:30 EST today

5. Pgdrews

Pgdrews New Member

Unfortunately because of public posts like this (not saying this post caused it) but Ting has rescinded it's offering because it did not stay private to the FB group or through personal PRIVATE channels to Nightscout users. On the Facebook post from Ting rep it clearly stated to not share outside the group. This is a public forum/blog that does not abide by their request. It's unfortunate that people didn't read and understand, and now have affect many NS users and now can not take advantage of the offer. Again, I can not prove this post was the culprit, but certainly is one that could have been the killer. Very disappointing.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Any business stupid enough to think that in this era of social media that any "hush, keep this quiet" message is going to fly doesn't deserve to be in business.

7. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

So they post something on Facebook and expect it to remain "just between us"?

<snort>
    That is funny.

Whether people are Nightscout users in a group on Facebook or Nightscout users and they frequent these boards, they are still Nightscout users. Really though, nobody should expect that any organization would do this for free. If you want to upload data, for wahetever reason, through a phone that is going to cost money if you want that service to remain viable for you to use.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I kinda get where they're coming from.

The FB group is probably Secret - which means its posts aren't available to the public.

And this site is NOT protected. You don't have to be a member to read here. And if you Google, the posts here come up, so its definitely not private.

Maybe they need to find a way to verify you are a Nightscout user and not just someone looking for a cheap cell whatever - maybe providing a pic of your Dexcom and a pic of its serial number, or something like that.

9. Pgdrews

Pgdrews New Member

EXACTLY Nancy! The FB group is private and you have to be allowed in. Granted, their way of verifying may not have been the best. Still, the fact that inconsiderate people posted outside of FB when they clearly stated this was for only NS users. That is where the communication should have stayed. Unfortunately people that think they can just post anywhere and think they are doing good, actually do harm.

Sarah Maddies Mom, your more ignorance leads to more issues. How do they not deserve to be in the business to offer a group of people making lives better a $100 credit to help with this life long disease? I think you need to rethink your thoughts. But maybe you have an endless source of funds and their gratuity just isn't worthy enough for you. People need to keep their pie holes to themselves and not ruin it for others.

10. uf3274

uf3274 New Member

UGH, I can't believe someone posted this and now it's wrecked for thousands of people. T1D parents really really really needed this discount and Ting was trying to help them out.

No one has this kind of money with a T1D kid with so many medical costs. This is why we can't have nice things.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It does seem kind of absurd to think that "thousands" of people would keep this a "secret" in this day and age, as Sarah correctly pointed out.

I personally don't think $100.00 is that much money, especially not enough for you and pgdrews to come to this site and cry about it. I especially don't appreciate pgdrews being rude to an established member here (Sarah), who is well aware of what it is like to live with Type 1 and has done more than her share to help people better manage this disease.

Oh and btw, I have plenty of nice things, so it is possible, just so you know. :smile:

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No worries Chris '-) How can I possibly care when the "insult" includes a choice phrase like, "your more ignorance leads to more issues"? That's nearly siggy quote worthy. (rollie)

13. uf3274

uf3274 New Member

Wow. The negativity here is staggering. Ting was trying to do something really nice for the nightscout diabetes community, which has over 8000 members and 2000 already in the cloud, and is one of the most supportive and giving communities I have ever witnessed. I was actually very touched when I saw them make that offer, especially for November and diabetes awareness month. People should have tried to preserve and respect that, especially in respect to people who don't have a $100 or other means, and now I know lots of people who really need that offer and can't get it.

And then the reaction here - even more staggering. I haven't really been a part of CWD because I have struggled for years with my baby diabetic and have focused on supporting T1D kids at my local hospital / community, but Wow. I guess I'll just continue to do that, since it's hard enough staying positive in this diabetic world.

No more "crying" on CWD, no worries, and hope you enjoy all your nice things.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Dude. You're the one who came in here and lectured us. If anyone brought any negativity to the board it was you. Pretty sure one person sharing the offer on CWD (that has plenty of people who could really use that offer) was not the tipping point here. Chill out.

15. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I'm a Nightscout user twice over, and there are plenty of Nigh scouters here on CWD. You can not fault a fellow night scouter for making sure we all knew about the deal. AS we do not all go on to Facebook everyday but might look overhear much more often.

I am sorry that Ting did not have a system to verify true Nightscout user opposed to fakes that just wanted a credit.

16. denise3099

I'm really surprised that my post would have called off this promotion. The instructions were almost verbatim what I wrote, not to post to public coupon sites as this was to help d families. This is NOT a public coupon site by any stretch of the imagination, like retail me not, and who else is on here but d families? My post was certainly in keeping with the spirit of the offer, to encourage nightscouters or would-be nightscouters to use ting, esp if someone was still on the fence based on data cost and havent joined the facebook site bc of it. I should have just said, hey go to the FB site for a great coupon, rather than post it here but frankly I find the FB page hard to use. The threads come and go and are so busy that u never find again what you were looking at so I didn't just want to say go to the black hole that is FB. I am truly sorry if getting the word out to the very people who need nights out the most would lead to cancelling the promo. By the way, the "private" FB page has over 8,000 people on it and is open to anyone who asks. But still, for what it's worth, I apologize.

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

This is where the problem is. The only people that POST are typically "D" families but the forums are public and anyone can Google anything having to do with diabetes, Nightscout, and shoot, probably Ting, and these types of posts would come up to them, whether or not they have a connection to "D". Its not like a lot of other message boards, which aren't searchable by non-members but this board is, because the hosts want new "D" families to be able to find us

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

So if I'm reading this correctly, 2 people that have never posted on CWD before just happen to come across this post and felt compelled to blast someone that was just trying to help. Unbelievable.

There is no way, shape or form that a promotion like this would remain quiet and exclusive to one FB group. You had the very best of intentions and I'm sorry a couple of trolls came after you like that. Ignore, ignore, ignore.............

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You did not post here till the 5th, they stopped the credit on the 4th, no I truly do not think it was "your post" that cancelled the promotional credit.