- advertisement -

[NEWS] Researchers Another Step Closer To Type 1 Diabetes Vaccine For Children

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CUAnschutz, Apr 21, 2015.

1. CUAnschutz

CUAnschutz New Member

Children at risk for type 1 diabetes, who were given daily doses of oral insulin, developed a protective immune response to the disease that researchers at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus say could possibly lay the groundwork for a vaccine against type 1 diabetes in children.

Click here to read more.

I know this will be welcome news to everyone on the forum. Researchers are working hard, in partnership with JDRF and others, to find way to eradicate this disease! :D

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not really (at least for me). Don't get me wrong, it is nice for children who do not currently have Type 1. But the majority of people on this site have children who actually DO have it, so it really has very little meaning.

3. CUAnschutz

CUAnschutz New Member

Totally understand, Chris. Any advancement in the research will benefit everyone, whether high-risk or those who currently have the disease. Every research study is another piece of the puzzle. :eek:

I've sent an e-mail to the principal researcher to get better understanding of how this particular research will help children who already have developed Type 1 diabetes in addition to at-risk children. As soon as she responds I'll post further information.

4. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I thought it was an interesting article! Kind of reminds me of old fashioned research....and not with mice!

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I think those of us with more than one child might disagree. I know I certainly disagree with that sentiment.

Knowing that there would be no newly diagnosed children if they are onto something and can create a vaccine is such a pleasant thought in some respects.

6. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

It would be really helpful if the researcher can shed some light on what the "immune response" is and how it is protective against the development of auto immune diabetes.

7. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I find it quite interesting. To paraphrase my CWD, she's okay with living with T1 but it would be great if no one else had to.

8. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

^^This x1000. I don't mind having it but I would love to know that my generation was the last to have to deal with it. I welcome news about any and all research towards a vaccine :)

10. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

This is great news! One of my current fears is that one of my younger siblings might go on to also develop type 1, and the development of a vaccine will definitely put mine and my mom's minds at ease. I don't mind having diabetes (I feel like things happen for a reason, and this "opportunity" is allowing me to pursue a career in diabetes education), but I cannot image either of my siblings being able to manage on their own with it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and like what Meg said, I would love for our generation to be the last generation to have to deal with T1 diabetes.

11. Riley's Mom

Riley's Mom Approved members

I think it has great meaning for those of us with more than one child and for our future grandchildren.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I always have mixed feelings about progress on the vaccine. Upside: My daughter would never get T1, and neither of my children would ever have to be the parent of a child with T1. Downside: Very little incentive for companies to continue their work on the AP and many other technological advancements, since I don't know that the insulin-using T2 market would be big enough to make it fiscally worth their while. And basically no incentive to find a cure. My son would have T1 until the day he dies.

Obviously I don't wish that they wouldn't invent a vaccine, but it would be a bittersweet day for me.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  13. suej

suej Approved members

I so agree, I often worry about my older son, and grandchildren, should Ben have children, as they have about a 1 in 20 chance (5%) of developing T1D and it would be so nice to know one could prevent it so I am grateful for any small pieces in the jigsaw puzzle.

14. suej

suej Approved members

This also resonates with me.....

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

yes, exactly.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Well said. My feelings exactly.

17. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Ditto here.

18. Riley's Mom

Riley's Mom Approved members

Very true...

19. swellman

swellman Approved members

WTF ...I mean, seriously. I have only one child and he's T1D but this sentiment is mindboggling.

20. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It is really not that hard for someone with a modicum of intelligence to comprehend. A vaccine to prevent Type 1 diabetes would be great for people who don't have diabetes but would have little impact on those that already do have it and may actually hinder the attempt to find a cure. Does that help you understand it better?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015