- advertisement -

Newly dx 13 y/o thinks she can go places without the monitor

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by kgerrick, Jun 5, 2011.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

LOL it may sound funny, but it sure works for J, and it has been the only thing so far that works! It's been quite a road getting him on the pump, even though it's something he wanted since he was diagnosed.

2. amberngriffinco

amberngriffinco Approved members

I'm old, lol, but

I was going on overnighters, dates at 16 and took my meter, insulin, syringes, etc..

At the drive in's, I'd test and take a shot.. all my friends and boyfriends knew I was diabetic: that didn't stop them from calling ! :)

3. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

I think she is getting better. She went to the drive in movies just last night with her best friend and family and I didn't have to nag her to take her stuff. She just did!!! I think we're getting somewhere!! Thank goodness!

4. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

That is great!

My daughter was dxd at three, so we've been doing this for nine years. We transitioned from pump-packs and SPI-belt to a purse this year.

Here is a good style of the Vera Bradley brand (popular with teens here)

http://www.verabradley.com/product/...Night+and+Day/pc/638/c/0/sc/641/p/1001230.uts

It comes in many colors, but what I like is it holds a phone in the outside pocket and has four interior pockets for meter, lancing device, strips, sugar and anything else you need to carry. There are sales periodically on the website.

Also, as dd leaves the house I always ask, "Clicker, Meter, Strips?"

She checks it out and either gives me the thumbs up, or retrieves whatever she needs.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

She calls hers her "kit". She has one that fits all her stuff meter, glucose, lancets, poker etc but it's kind of largeish. She carries that most of the time but if she's going somewhere special she'll switch it to a purse. She has a wristlet that holds most of it.

It took a lot of nagging but it is kind of a habit for her now. We've forgotten it here and there and had to go back. My new nag for her is to not leave it in the car.

6. kgerrick

That's great!! You two have a great system!!:) Thanks for your advice!! I will check out that style! Thanks!

7. kgerrick

That's great!!:)

8. josmom

josmom Approved members

ok, so i'm 13. and just so u know, nagging makes us SO MAD! when parents nag it makes us not want to carry it around even more. instead, try sitting down with no distractions and talking about it. or get an extra monitor to keep in her purse, backpack, etc. then, she wont have to worry about remembering to put one in there every time she goes out.also, try to let her talk to someone who is close in age and has been diagnosed for longer. she will probably listen more to a friend or peer then a parent. good luck!:)

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good to hear your perspective. :) Just so you know, parents hate to nag - it makes us feel awful, and gets in the way of enjoying life with our kids..

The question every parent wants to know is how to get their teen to remember what they need to when it comes to the D without nagging?! :cwds:

10. kgerrick

Yes! That is the magic question! It is so hard sometimes to be the parent because you want to have fun with your child and keep lines of communication open but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. But your always trying I guess that's what matters!

11. kgerrick

Thank you for your advise! All good ideas! Thing is that she doesn't like to carry purses yet. I know how you guys hate when us parents seem to be nagging but please be patient with us cause we know some things you may not have thought of yet and sometimes we get carried away only cause we love our kids sooo much! In other words it is coming from the best place...our hearts!! Since I posted this question, Caitlin is doing much better about remembering and you're right I would like to find some other kids her age with D that she can talk to but she is still getting used to the fact that she has this and isn't ready to talk to others yet, but she is open to it. It's a process that we are working on! Thanks again!

12. josmom

josmom Approved members

you're welcome. all of this stuff takes time. this website is a great resource to meet people, so im glad that youre using it.

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Here's something I do: After I check in the morning, I go put my meter in my purse, so that I don't forget it. I don't take it out until I know I'll be home for the rest of the day. She may not carry a bag all the time, but you probably do! She could put it in there just to make sure it gets in the car. Also, if you know where it is, you can run and check that single place before she goes out the door.

14. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I didn't read all the posts but Jacob doesn't have his meter ALL THE TIME. I mean, if all the time means everywhere, 24/7, then he falls short. He is always close to home though and does carry something to treat lows. He checks often at home and he doesn't miss any checks during the times he doesn't have a meter with him. He comes home to check.

15. kgerrick

Diabeticangel14 and Jacob'sDad,

Thank you for your input. We have 3 meters and a special spot in the kitchen for supplies, etc. She has found herself a small type of backpack that she has filled with what she needs when she goes out, finally!!

Jacob'sDad, I know what you mean because my husband was thinking the samething in the beginning of all this. I just want her to be able to check herself because she was going low so often that she wasn't feeling some of the lows!! And when she goes to her friends down the street she is often there for hours and she eats there! So she needs to take her supplies and insulin there for sure.
    Thanks for writing!:)

16. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

My dd was 13 at diagnoses. I carried my own back up supplies for her, if she forgot she had to stay in my sight. To go out of sight she has to have her own supplies packed by her and inspected by me.

17. kgerrick

Hi Desiree-

Good idea! I like that! Great consequence for a 13 year old...staying in your parents sight while out and about, how embarrasing!!! Lol!!:)