advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Ashley-, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Ashley-

Ashley- Approved members

hi I'm Ashley I'm 14. i found this site on yahoo. I'm new to diabetes was Diagnosed last month on the 25. will love to met people who coped/are coping with it with like injecting or testing or whatever. & i don't know anyone who have diabetes.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome to CWD, Ashley! That is one HARD diagnosis date, not that any are easy. My daughter is 16, diagnosed at 11. I remember how desperately she wanted to meet another kid with T1D in the early days. Now she has quite a group that "gets" it when her days are awful (like yesterday) or gives her graphs that look like D has disappeared (exceptionally rare). It's really good you're reaching out; both you and your parents will need support. We all do.

I assume you're on MDI at this point? Syringes or pen? My daughter did MDI for a year before switching to the pump. We added a cgm at one year. Back then, cgms were rare and she was only one of two kids at Children's who wore one.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Hi, and welcome to the club that no one wants to have to join. That being said, I'm happy you found this Forum! My daughter will be 14 this summer; she was diagnosed with Type 1 when she was 11. The two things that made having D easier for her (and me) were the Dexcom CGM and the OmniPod insulin pump. I highly recommend getting a Dexcom CGM as soon as you're ready, as it makes managing your blood sugars easier (it gives you get a number every five minutes, along with a trend arrow.) Anyway, welcome to the tribe! We get it!

4. Ashley-

Ashley- Approved members

MDI & on Syringes which i can't do. ever time i try to i get scared of the needle. i will like to do my own injections but don't see how i can.

5. Amanda e

Amanda e Banned

welcome to the club that no one want to join. if u want to talk to someone with diabetes. i think my daughter will be more then happy to talk to you.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

No kidding! I started on insulin the day before Halloween when I was diagnosed, and instructed to avoid all candy, and I thought that was pretty brutal :(

Anyways, welcome Ashely :cwds:

7. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Sorry you have to be here, but glad that you found us. My son was diagnosed the day before we were supposed to have a Halloween party at our church. They wanted us to wait the weekend, but we decided to go to Children's Hospital ourselves and got on our way. Christmas would be even worse than that! Don't be afraid to ask questions, there is no stupid question when it comes to this disease or whatever you want to call it.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I believe there is a JDRF chapter in your area. You can reach out to them and see if there are any activities for people with type 1 diabetes. That is a great way to meet others and get advice from those who truly know what it's like.

My 13 year old son absolutely loved diabetes camp. There may be a camp near you that will help you meet others your age. The same organization hosts a few other activities during the year.

Check out this link: http://www.fcydcamputada.org/#!camp-sessions/c21kz

Another thing I noticed is that after he was diagnosed and we started telling people about it, diabetics started coming out of the woodwork. Lots of people have it that we had no idea about. You may find the same happen for you.

There are lots of groups on social media. It would be a good place to get tips/ideas/coping strategies.

One more resource may be your school nurse, if you have one. If there any other kids with type 1 in your school, he/she may be able to point them out, although privacy laws may prohibit that.

Good luck! It is a huge change but you will learn, and before you know it you will be a pro. You can do this. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  9. Ashley-

Ashley- Approved members

i took a look at the link. now i got to beg my mom to let me go to it. & i found a other type 1 in my school. & my school nurse is trying to help me get ues to needles so i won't be scared.

10. Grace34

Grace34 New Member

Welcome Ashley! I'm very glad that you don’t perceive diabetes as a deadly disease. My 15-year-old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes 4 years ago. The doctor has appointed to prick insulin.At first she worried a lot, because she thought she would start having problems at school because of this. I promised her to do everything in my power, so that the process of acupuncture becomes maximally convenient and imperceptible. I found on the Internet a site that sells insulin syringes, chose a brand, sent them a message on the mail and in a couple of minutes operator contacted me and took my order. My daughter is happy.