- advertisement -

Newly Diagnosed!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pjmsmith, Aug 12, 2012.

1. pjmsmith

pjmsmith New Member

Hi everyone we just got out of Children's hospital in Houston where they diagnosed my special needs daughter with Steroid Induced Diabetes 2 days ago.. She has been on steroids since 2004 for her Crohn's disease. I am so overwhelmed from all the education, etc.. I have nurses at my house for her every night all night and Mon-Fri during the day. The hard and I guess easy part of her diet is they have her on a type of formula for her crohn's and she eats some yogurt (she has a feeding tube also but drinks from her cup during day and is hooked up to a continous feed at night). My husband and I have had her by ourselves during the day today and yesterday and a couple of times I've had to stick her like 3 times because she won't bleed.. She is on Lantus 3 units twice a day and the Novolog during the day as needed... Any suggestions on anything please... Thanks very much,
    Jaime Smith (Mom to Maci 13 yrs old)

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Jamie, just wanted to say hello, and offer support to you and your family. My son is 16, dx at 13 (12/26/09). My son's BG is checked from 4 to 8 times a day. If you cannot get blood after poking, try "milking" the finger, that seems to help us at times.

Best wishes as you progress on this journey.

Kathy

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It's great you found CWD so quickly. Welcome.

Most pokers are adjustable. Have you tried turning up the strength of the poke? Warming her hand before poking helps. I know some people even resort to a warm washcloth around the hand for a minute. Milking the finger a bit before poking is good, but squeezing too hard too much after you've poked can change your result. Lowering her hand below her heart could help. Sides of the fingertips are usually easier to poke than the pad.

Good luck to you. It will not always feel this overwhelming. :cwds:

4. pjmsmith

pjmsmith New Member

Thanks yall! I will eventually quit crying everytime I have to poke her or give a shot! LOL I will try the warming and keeping her hand lower.. So when do they get use to the pricking and when do all the bruises go away (or do they)? We use the Precision Xtra is that a good one? They brought us one of those and the Nano and said our insurance paid for both, but I got training on the Precision and told them I wanted 2 of those so we got 4 of those! LOL! Is there an easier one or just the same? Is there one that BB King was advertising on TV that you didn't have to prick???? Also in my 3 hr training they never said anything about pricking in your forearm, can you? Thanks yall, I might have a million questions in the next couple weeks!! LOL!

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I am sorry for your sweet girl's dx.....but I am glad you found us. There is so much to process the first weeks after dx. I can't tell you when the tears will stop, but I promise they will. I would recommend you use the delica pricker from one touch. It is my dd's fav and doesn't hurt as much. I don't do a ton of alternate testing (ie pricking toes, forearms and palms), but I know others on this board do. Please come back with questions. :cwds:

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome,

There are some ads on TV that make it seem like you don't need to prick to test. What they actually mean is you don't need to prick the finger. It is called alternate site testing and you can do it with any meter. I have never done alternate site testing but some people like it. As a previous poster said, I would also recommend the Delica lancer.

You may want to create a Signature that has some general information about your child. Go to the top left of the page where it says "User CP", click on it then click on "Edit Signature".

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pan.../dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-.../dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

Hi Jaime -

I'm glad you found the forum so quickly. It took me quite a bit longer to find it, but I've learned so much in a short time by just following a lot of the conversations.

I'm so sorry that Maci had to add this to the list. My situation isn't exactly the same as yours, but I do have a special needs son. I was really worried about Jason being able to understand all of the pokes and shots, but he has somehow put together that the shots make him feel a lot better.

I doubt that it will ever feel "fair", but the tears will mostly stop, and you'll do what you've always done. You'll learn how to do whatever you need to do to take care of Maci - better than anyone else can. :)

I'd be happy to visit with you anytime. We're just south of Dallas, so it looks like we may not be too far from you. Feel free to send me a private message (top right) if you'd like to connect.

Julie