- advertisement -

Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by EmmasPapa, Jan 3, 2008.

1. EmmasPapa

EmmasPapa Guest

This post was a reply to one of mine in the Grandparents forum. I thought it should go here as well for all to see.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

What a wonderful grandfather you are to Alyssa. She will always treasure how much you care and how you are learning to do everything so she can spend lots of time with you. I applaud you. Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear they are also worried about celiac. Fortunately there are many wonderful resources for families with children with both celiac and type 1 diabetes. Let us know the outcome and we may guide you to more resources.

3. AbbyMom

AbbyMom New Member

Hi there!

ampb9755

I agree, what a wonderful Grandfather you are. My daughter, Abby was diagnosed with diabetes at 2 1/2 and will turn 4 at the end of this month. I remember those feelings of being terrified giving those first shots. It doesn't necessarily get easier but it does start to become "normal."

Within the last month Abby has also had the blood work for celiac and it came back positive. She is having an endoscopy next week to confirm. I don't know what part of the country you live in but I'm in New York and we have Wegmans supermarkets here. They have a large selection of gluten free products.

I hope you're hanging in there. Remember to take some time for yourself. We'll be thinking about you and your granddaughter!

Claire

4. ampb9755

ampb9755 Approved members

Hi

My granddaughter, Alyssa, is having her endoscope on Tuesday to confirm the Celiac diagnosis. She is 5. We live in Florida and are not familiar with the store you mentioned. I do know that Walmart carries some gluten free foods under their Great Value brand. Their Great Value light yogart is marked gluten free. THey have pickles, spaghetti sauce, individual snack packs of peaches with splenda, unsweetened applesauce, and many other items. Walmart actually puts gluten free on the label, so you do not have to wonder about all the ingredients listed. Good luck with your grandchild's test next week. Sounds like we are in the same boat.

5. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

bravo, grandpa, i am so glad that you are willing to learn all about how to care for your granddaughter. not all of us are so fortunate to have family members like you. it is so amazing isnt it, how our kids are very strong.

6. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

I'm so glad you, as a grandparent, are willing to take on some of Alyssa's care. I know my mother would do the same if she lived nearby (but she's now 5 states away). It's a struggle for me to get the only grandparents we have nearby to help-- Grace's diagnosis was nearly two years ago, and she's spent a couple of HOURS without me at their home since. All of her D care falls on me and her loving school teacher, who is the only other person she's stayed overnight with since her diagnosis.

I applaud you!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008