advertisement

Newly diagnosed with questions about playing basketball

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Dxdiabetic13, May 13, 2016.

1. Dxdiabetic13

Dxdiabetic13 Approved members

My 13 yr old son was diagnosed almost 3 weeks ago and has always been an athlete so I'm looking for advice and others experience with playing team sports. He has been playing basketball for several years and the summer league will be starting soon. I'm nervous about what this will do to his blood sugar levels. I know that he needs to have complex carbs and more frequent BG testing with physical activity but wondering what the best way to handle this is. I'm so glad I found this forum because I feel like I am not alone and can get an idea of what might come in the future. So please share your experience with me so I can try to calm down about starting basketball again.

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I see no one has replied to this, so I will give my 2 cents:)

He has played sports before, & he will continue to do so with diabetes. It will just be a little more planning on your/his part to make it successful.

My daughter has done a very vigorous dance schedule for a number of years. At 17, she dances pretty much 6-7 days per week for a few hours each day. Frequent testing is important. One think we did was have drinks available...full sugar Gatorade, the low sugar kind, and water. Depending on the bloodsugar, we could decide which drink was best. There will be a lot of trial and error. Take notes. For snacks, making sure we have fiber/protein is important as well. Depending on your basal insulin, during heavy basketball days, you may need to reduce basal insulin, whether that is a lantus shot or basal thru an insulin pump. You will have to keep logs, esp in the beginning. Adrenaline at gametime sometimes plays a big role. Blood sugar may rise & then drop unexpectedly.

When my daughter was small, we had a secret code, lol. I would touch my earlobe...she would know I was asking(from the stands) how her sugar felt or if she needed to test. She could then give me a thumbs up or other signal to know that all was well. This way I didn't have to be all in her business, fussing with her diabetes which she did not like.

Make sure the coach knows the situation with the diabetes & how to react to low bloodsugar. While yes, diabetes is life threatening at times, our children are not fragile. These kids are way tougher than the rest of us!

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hi and welcome.
    He has played basketball, and will continue to do so. However, it just takes some planning. Frequent BG testing will be needed, my kids play sports and are competitive dancers and we make it work the best we can. First thing you want to do is alert the coaches. Give them an idea of what to expect (he may need to step out of practice for a minute to test and treat). We always run the girls high when they have an activity they will expend a lot of energy. Usually an uncovered snack that's high in protein prior, gatorade during and then frequent (every 2 hours) after. They are both on CGM's so it does make things easier as we can see what is going on. If their number is concerning( 100 or below), they will usually give me a thumbs up if they are feeling ok... But, he can play successfully with planning.