- advertisement -

Newly Diagnosed--HELP

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jacobsmom, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Welcome to the best club nobody wants to be a part of.

Everything that everyone else has posted so far is true, but as the father of a young man that was diagnosed at 10, I want you to know that I believe that there is a special place in heaven reserved for parents of kids who were diagnosed when they were still little bitty.

I think you will be thankful that you were put on Lantus and Novolog first instead of NPH/regular insulin and Novolog. It makes for a much more flexible life, IMO.

Ask any question you have. There is always someone logged on that can help you find the answers and support that you need.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Another really useful tool for carb counting is the Salter Scale. It is available at kitchen stores like Bed Bath & Beyond or Linens & Things. (You can also look on E-bay.) It's awesome, because if you put a particular item on it (say a banana), it will weigh it and tell you exactly how many carbs are in THAT banana. It has a huge food database, and includes things like pizza, pasta, fresh fruits, and all sorts of stuff. For us, it has been indispensible, and well worth the $80.00 we spent on it.

3. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

welcome on board. here you will find comfort, and be able to share and find advice when needed. man does it bring back memories. our daughters sugars were over 600 when she went to the hospital. she did not look well, and she was tired and was drinking and going to the bathroom alot. we took her to the hospital. it was crazy at the hospital. i remember!! our daughter as well as your son are alot stronger then us . i guess all children are. and just with our family, it does not run in the family. shannon has pretty much anything she wishes to eat, as long as she get her insulin for it. they should feel no different then any other child. dont worry it does get alittle better. best wishes to your family

4. Denise in CT

Denise in CT Approved members

Hi Sara,

I am sorry you had to join us. My daughter was diagnosed 2 and a half weeks ago as well, so I don't have answers for you but I do have a shoulder to cry on - we can cry together!

5. M&MMOM

M&MMOM Approved members

Hi Sara,

Welcome! My little one was diagnosed just before his 3rd birthday. He turned 9 last week and I can tell you it gets easier. We'll all be here to share in it together! My best to you as you get your feet firmly back on the ground.

Abby

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Sara:

(I know I keep piping in on your thread here. Sorry. I can't seem to shut my piehole today. :D)

One thing I did when Jack was diagnosed was run into information overload. I felt like I had to Learn Everything About Diabetes immediately, and I read about a billion books, and pored over this website, and about drove myself crazy. I'm not saying to not read and learn, but take your time. Absorb the basics first, and then move on. twodoor2 gave you some really good book suggestions above. Of those, I'd probably start with Think Like a Pancreas. Read it, mark the things you don't understand (there will be lots!) and set it aside for a while. Come on here and read, and then return to the book. Things will start making sense, and you'll figure more and more out every day. Then maybe move on to Using Insulin or Type 1 Diabetes. (Actually Type 1 Diabetes is more of a reference book than a sit down and read at one sitting book. I read it all the way through, but I'm a geek! :rolleyes:)

You will get more comfortable with this very quickly. You will learn how your son's body reacts to certain situations, and before you know it, you'll be suggesting dosage changes to your endo. Or better, just making them yourself!

But you have plenty of time. It's a marathon, so pace yourself. We're all here to help you along the way.

7. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Welcome and Im sorry!

It does get easier. It has to, right? :( You will eventually find a "new normal". It just takes time.

8. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

Sara,
    here's my suggestions to the parents of newly diagnosed kids:
    - please, dont hesitate to test often.
    - please, be ware of hypos. keep the numbers a little higher for a while.
    - get a pump as soon as possible (WITH the book: Pumping Insulin)
    - get an aviva/FreeStyle/GlucocardX meter to be able to use base of thumb for testing instead of finger tips.
    - read as much as you can. the more you know the better you'll manage.
    - pray to the Lord. this is what i found THE most helpful.
    - learn 'carb counting'.
    - read, read and read. when you finished reading, then read more.

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Hi Welcome!

It is OK to go easy on yourself, and your family.

There are some other grandparents kicking around here and they can help out Jacob's http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

My initial advice for you is Pizza can be OK, so can everything else he likes. You will learn to carb count and you be cool.

My other advice for newbies is watch out for diabetes tricks starting with the lows form insulin resistance. I write about them here http://ydmv.blogspot.com/2008/01/newbie-advice.html

10. Sw33tBabi3z

Sw33tBabi3z Approved members

Feel Ya

First off, let me apologize for the user name..SOOO inappropriate and am working on changing it.

4 hours? Lemme guess, u didn't have health insurance or something? 'Cuz I been down that road, of course my 4 year old Daughter's BS was at 700 and on the verge of death when she was brought in (and I was for the first time ever in my life out of town!). Your post made me choke up, I know exactly how you feel!! We had absolutely no family history to our knowledge, either..I mean my Mom's morbidly obese and she doesn't have Diabetes? Then again, she has numerous other health problems. The thing about pizza and candy is true, b/c I know I thought the same thing at first, now, every night before she goes to bed, she's low enough that we can stuff her with chocolate!

I'm still pretty new at this, myself am trying 2 get the hang of it..don't even have a log book or know much about AC1. Like someone else had posted on here regarding their Son's adrenal gland, Googling for info is waaay too depressing at this point. I know, 'cuz when I do it, I choke up! Sooo many problems right now, on top of this, we will have the following cut off:

1. electricity
    2. phone
    3. T.V.
    4. 2 (going on 3 ) months behind on rent

I just pray the car (that has no insurance) holds on just a while longer, I can barely put gas in it so you can well imagine it has not been well maintained. My Son is 2 and I hope with all my heart and soul that he doesn't have it..the dark thoughts..plz stop them..

Anyway, thoughts and prayers for you and your family (again, ignore the username, I'm having the worst day of all days which I'm sure will pale in comparison when the Sheriff's department comes to kick us out) but hang in there..wish I could take my own advice..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  11. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Yes, yes! I was just going to say that! Btw hello :eek:. I too am so sorry you had to join us. The Salter scale is WONDERFUL in helping to count carbs, and it will make your life soooo much easier! Just search for "Salter scale" on the blue bar on top, and you will find many posts about it, including some pictures by Lanae, also known as Abby-Dabby-Doo :).

The learning curve is pretty dramatic initially but just read as much as you can, and you will find that through repetition a lot of it will stick :cwds:. This forum has a tremendous knowledge base, so come and visit us often here...someone is always around :rolleyes:.

Welcome again.

12. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Hi Sara,
    Welcome to the forum! This has been my lifeline since I found it. I am glad you found it early in your son's diagnosis. There is someone here all day all night that will be able to help you. Don't be afraid to ask there is always someone that will have the answer for you.

As far as your son eating what he wants that will take a while before they tell you how to do it. Just be patient. I hated this stage as well but I believe they are trying to figure out your son's body and how to properly dose his insulin. They also probably not wanting to overload you at this time.

I promise things will get better and you will be able to feel life's joys again!!!!!
    Hang in there we are all in this together!!!!! We are here for you!
    Judy:)

13. Val

Val Approved members

You have already received some great information. I just wanted to say ((hugs)) it will get better. I remember trying to sleep at night & all I could think about was carb counts of food & things like that. I just couldn't stop. You are doing a great job & once you start to get the hang of it, you will be able to work in things like pizza. Just try to remember that your family, no matter how hard they try, just don't get it. Not yet anyway. Just keep your head up & do the best you can, like someone else said, one test, one meal at a time! My son just turned 4 & diagnosed 2 years ago...please feel free to send me a personal message & I will send you my phone number if you just want to talk.

All the best-

14. Scotty

Scotty Approved members

Hi Sara
    I haven't read all the previous posts, but I wanted to say welcome. My son was also dx'd at 3, but that was a long time ago now. I wanted to let you know I have a very fit, active and healthy child who does everything he wants to and eats just like every other teenage boy!!! I remember those early days and struggling with everything, so you are normal. There is a lot of information to take in and learn in the beginning, just take it at a pace you can cope with. Each day/meal/hurdle will give you something think about and learn from. You have found an amazing place here for support, information and understanding. Ask any questions you may have, someone here will always be able to answer.

15. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Hi Sarah, My name is Tami and I am a parent of a thirteen year old boy with type 1 diabetes. I am also a parent advocate. I live not to far from you in Riley about a half an hour out side of lapeer.

I don't know who your endo is: I would like to recommend Dr. Bernard Degnan out of St. Johns or Beaumont. He is the best. His nurses are stupendous in educating parents. I know them all not just in the office but outside as well from my work with the ADA.

My son is obviously alot older than yours but I remember how it felt. I do have a friend who runs a support group, it's a little of a drive for you but I think it might be a wonderful avenue for you to pursue at this time. She lives in Hartland, just outside of Brighten. There are alot of parents with young one's in the group.

I know this is hard to believe but things will get better. You will learn at the speed of light. Cake and pizza will be no big shakes.

If you would like to talk, I would be happy to help. Please send me an email with your phone number or I will email you mine. I would like to offer some resources to you and your family.

Hang in there!

Tami

16. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Hi Sara welcome to CWD. I know it is not a place you want to be but in time it will feel like home. I am so sorry to here about your sons diagnosis. I know in the beginning it feels life shattering but I promise you it does get easier. Pizza, cake and any other food will be on your menu soon. They might not be your friend but he will be able to eat them.:D I don't have any advice on a toddler with D since my son was 10 when he was diagnosed, but there are a lot of parents and grandparents here that will have lots of answers for you.

Also don't be afraid, embarrassed or uncomfortable to ask ANY question, you will find answers here.

(((Hugs))):cwds:

17. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Sara,

I haven't read the whole way through all the responses you've had yet, but you will get to the point where Jacob can eat anything he wants. We've had to deal with well-meaning and know-it-all relatives, friends, acquaintances...I've gotten to the point where I just put my foot down and let Tom handle/eat/deal with whatever comes up. HE knows what he is doing, and I know what he is doing and what I am doing and the heck with anyone who isn't living it with us!

Then again, just TRY to stop an adolescent from eating 5 pieces of pizza!

Your dad can tell you till he's blue in the face that you should stress less. Ain't gonna make it happen. You do whatever you need to do to get to a comfort level.

Welcome to our little corner of Paradise!

~~Becky~~

18. CAH

CAH New Member

It really does get easier!

Sara,

My son is 15 yo and was dx when he was 7 yo. He started using an insulin pump at age 10. He eats whatever and whenever he wants. He does pretty much everything himself: bs test, gives insulin thru pump (bolus) and changes his site. I do have to nag him about bs test & bolus because he's 15 and forgetful. He was always good with testing & shots, but there are still some days that he absolutely hates being a diabetic and I have to agree with him totally. We don't deny him food, but I try to direct him to healthier choices, but again, he's 15. He plays all kinds of sports; hockey, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, basketball. Keep your son active.

My brother has been a T1 d for 35 years. He recently started on a pump. He is healthy & still has 20/20 vision. So diabetics can live a healthy life and do anything non-diabetics can do.

As far as family goes, they are on the outside looking in, they really do mean well, but it's up to the parent to learn diabetes 101. You can then teach the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc that are willing to learn!

Good luck,
    Cathy

19. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Sara,
    I'm new to this too. My 4yr old was diagnosed 2/29/08. It is all overwhelming, but it does get easier. Not to overwhelm you, but there are many books and this site is THE BEST!! I feel better the more info I have so if you're like me....

Here are a couple books that have been recommended.

The Everything Parent's Guide to Children with juvenille diabetes by Moira McCarthy. http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Pa...-Diabetes/dp/1598692461/ref=pd_sim_b_title_14
    The Pink Panther Book, http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/ud11.html
    Think Like a Pancreas http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/B0012LWFKO/ref=pd_sim_b_img_1

Good luck and don't forget to breathe.

20. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

just popping this up so that Sarah can find it first thing.

Tami